Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

With Vsc And Without, Man What A Difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With Vsc And Without, Man What A Difference

I was watching the today show this morning, and the special report on vehicles with VSC and without. man what a difference. They actually showed in the vidoe a new 4runner vs. one without. The new one during and sudden avasive turn, the wheels didn't lift at all, and the one without it, basically flipped if not for the stabilizer wheels.

Made me feel good about my purchase

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6351512/
Old 10-29-2004, 08:19 AM

I really do like the VSC on our 2002 4Runner, it does a good job during evasive or abrupt manuevers. I really hate the traction control that comes with it. I would almost say that TRAC control is down right dangerous when you are trying to get across a busy intersection. It seems like TRAC control cuts the power at the most in-appropriate times. A few times I was trying to make it across a paticular intersection in a light rain or snow, punch the gas, only to find my truck's power cut and myself hanging in the intersection. Our crown vic's at work had a TRAC disable button in the glove box. Everytime I fired the car up I hit the button. I wish Toyota would do the same.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:29 AM

It really made that kind of difference? I haven't had to use it yet. Happy about that, but it really cuts the power like that?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Yeah...just wait until you try and get into your throttle once the snow flies, assuming you get snow where you live. The trac control cuts power like crazy, especially now that I've got a s/c on my rig. It's not as bad in 4WD, but it does happen. I can see having trac control to some extent in 2WD, but in 4WD, that's crazy. What if I'm stuck and need to rock myself out? Stupid TRAC control kills the power. Oh well, I don't wheel my rig that much and don't like full throttle from a standstill, but it still drives me nuts.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 AM

I hate the anti-lock brakes. We have two cars in the family that have anti-lock brakes and when you press the pedal hard you can almost feel the car "think" if it wants you to be able to press that hard. Let me decide! More people get themselves in trouble with the brake pedal anyway, everyone wants to stop...how about steering a bit! DRIVE the car, not just operate the gas and brake!

But, to you point on VSC, seems like good technology for the average operator.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:14 AM

OH WAIT you mean that the vsc and trac control are still on in 4wd. that is nuts
Old 10-29-2004, 09:40 AM

yea but it is still on in 4wd?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:07 AM

aha, thanks for the help. guess there is no way to disengage the vsc is there
Old 10-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

On the 4th Gen you just lock the center diff on the V8 and VSC turns off. TRAC stays on as it actually helps you by braking wheels spinning with limitied traction i.e. one wheel on an axle spins while other is standing still. However on the 4th Gens I believe ATRAC turns off if revs go over 3000 or 4000 rpm to protect the driveline.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:15 AM

nice, good infor. up to what speed can i drive in the 4th gen with the dif locked
Old 10-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chunderboy
nice, good infor. up to what speed can i drive in the 4th gen with the dif locked
Dunno, but I think it has more to do with the surface you are on. We have done a bit of dune racing with the center diff locked, 60-70mph+. WIth the diff locked it is similar to the 3rd Gen in 4wd, it turns both axles at the same speed. I wouldn't recommend keeping the diff locked while driving at high speed on snow or ice, as you loose the VSC and bseides you payed to have a center diff so use it. Only lock it when required.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:10 AM

Good info. Now can you engage it at any speed?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:11 PM

A few years ago, my family and I were in a minivan on the Laguna tollroad. Some fool hotrodding in a Mercedes lost control, and basically did a PIT move on us. At 70 MPH. Any cop will tell you at that speed it takes very little to knock you out of control. Despite efforts to regain control, we did a counter-clockwise, 70 MPH skid for about...jeez...a very long distance before going off the freeway and rolling over into a ditch. The me, wife, my 2 yr. old daughter, and my 7 month old son were hysterical, to say the least, but all relatively OK considering how things could have turned out. The police and paramedics were surprised there were no serious/immediate injuries or ejections, a testament to seatbelts and taking the time to CORRECTLY install childrens seats. OK, long-winded, but my point being, in this case (a very uncrowded freeway so it didn't turn into a multicar pileup), VSC would've swiftly assisted us in correcting our skid. VSC, ABS, they help save lives. Period. If you have these things on your rides, do those who share the roads with you a favor and do not disable them. The people who thank you the most may very well be your own family. As for traction control, I've heard similar complaints, however I've been trying to get my power to cut off on hard acceleration, even tried it the other day in the heavy rains we've had here in So Cal. And every time my 4RUnner just takes off like a sure-footed bat out of hell. I am convinced that the 4th gen 4Runner is the safest affordable fun-time vehicle on the road today.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chunderboy
Good info. Now can you engage it at any speed?
In the manual it states you have to be standing still and in neutral to engage the difflock. Do you have a V6 or V8?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Darren
No. VSC cuts the power.
Take it out of AWD, and put it in 4WD. Simple.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I was in 4WD, with my center diff LOCKED, when the trac control cut power as I punched it to get across an intersection. There was about 14 inches of snow on the ground, my VSC light was illuminated, which indicated that the VSC was off. I was absolutely dumbfounded that the trac control was still on even though I was locked. It about caused me to get into an accident as I nearly got hit.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:39 PM
lee
Contributing Member

if your power is getting cut so much, its probably due to bad tires. im getting rid of my lame street tires now in favor of bfg t/a ko's, and thats just one of the reasons. non-gripping street tires are not a 4runners best friend!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
if your power is getting cut so much, its probably due to bad tires. im getting rid of my lame street tires now in favor of bfg t/a ko's, and thats just one of the reasons. non-gripping street tires are not a 4runners best friend!

wanna trade?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by lee

Now that I think of it, I did have the stock Goodyear POS tires on when I had the problems. My Revo's grip much better. I'll probably got soem BFG AT's next time around.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:19 AM
lee
Contributing Member

well, yesterday i was at a stop sign taking a right turn on a very busy street. didnt notice there was a bunch of sand at that intersection, so when i saw an opening and jumped on the gas, i did not expect to end up moving about 7 inches.

luckily i let off the gas, regained traction, and took off before danger struck.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:20 AM

k so whats the difference sometimes i just see the vsc symbol flashing and i get a vibrating noise other time i get a beep beep beep sound what the diff

Quick Reply: With Vsc And Without, Man What A Difference