Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC/A-TRAC Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VSC/A-TRAC Warning Lights

this past monday, my GF noticed that the VSC and A-Trac Warning Lights were lit up. the day before, my 4 year old nephew was playing in the car while we washed it. this being the case, i thought that maybe he had put the vehicle in 4wd. after making sure that this wasn't the case and switching back and forth from 2wd to 4wd, the lights remain on. any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
brian
Old 09-23-2004, 05:48 AM
lee
Contributing Member

is your check engine light on as well?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:01 AM

well, my GF claims that it stays on; however, i was in it last night and do not remember it staying lit. i will have to check when i get home from work. if it's on, what does that mean? if it's off, what's that mean?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:13 AM
lee
Contributing Member

those lights come on with the check engine light. youll at that point have to get the code pulled (auto zone) or take it into the dealer.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Check out the "Active traction control system failure warning" on page 120 of your manual. The manual states that if the VSC OFF/A-Trac lights are both lit continuously, it may indicate a potential problem with the A-Trac/ABS system.

That section also states: "Depressing the brake pedal repeatedly may turn on the "VSC OFF" indicator light and "VSC/TRAC" warning light. It is normal if it goes out after a few seconds."

I assume this means while the vehicle is on, since repeatedly pressing the brake pedal heats up the brake actuator, but I'm not sure if this is true while the vehicle is off.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:22 AM
lee
Contributing Member

well the lights wouldnt be powered necessarily if the vehicle was off.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

check to make sure the center lock diff switch if off?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:07 AM

i've pushed that button a few times and the warning lights remain lit.
when i did push the button, there was little to no resistance. i'm wondering if the button broke. thing is though, the 4runner is a 4wd version; therefore, i can not turn the VSC off as long as it is in 2wd, right? the only time that i can disengage the VSC is in 4wd, i thought.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

make sure that the center lock diff switch is not depressed (should look different if the button is pressed).

drive forward and then reverse 10-20 feet. this should disconnect the center diff.

once the diff is not locked, it should turn the vsc off.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 AM

ok, but if the vehicle is in 2wd, i should not be able to disengage the VSC, correct.
when in 2wd, i should be able to push that button all day long and nothing will happen, right?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by broknlgs24
when in 2wd, i should be able to push that button all day long and nothing will happen, right?
Right...

If the trucks ignition was off when your nephew potentially pressed the VSC button, it should have no affect on the center diff. Without the electronics being active behind the switch, its useless.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:09 PM

I was under the impression all 4wd 4th gens are All wheel drive until the center diff is locked, then real 4wd kicks in. And the 2wd versions are only 2wd. My buddies 2wd sport has buttons to turn off/on the VSC/traction control. Where I only have dummy buttons. And cant burn the tires like I want to.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

for the 4th gens, they are full time 4wd and not all wheel drive.

All wheel drive means powers to all wheels with no option for 4lo.
4 wheel drive means power to all wheels with option for 4lo. There are two different types of 4wd, part time and full time. part time gives 3 options (2hi, 4hi, and 4lo) while full time has 2 options (4hi and 4lo). Makes sense?

2wd is just 2wd (just like a regular car)- power to two wheels.

center locking diff just distributes power 50/50. the 4th gen's i believe is 70/30 (or some ratio but not 50/50) during normal driving for the v8 full time 4wd system. when the center is locked it transfer power to a 50/50 ratio to the front /rear.

hope this clears that up.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:00 PM

ok all, i just returned home from work and have been able to see for myself that, yes, the check engine light is on. i'm gonna try to explain what i've done and noticed since being home.

upon inserting the key and turning it (not comepletely on), all of the dash lights light up as they are supposed to. after a few seconds, the VSC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights go out. Once i start the Runner, the check engine, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights come back on (keep in mind, this is in 2WD). when i put the Runner in to 4WD (all lights are still on) and press the Center Differential lock switch, the indicator light (above the speedomoter) does light up and it sounds as if everything is working as it should, but the VSC OFF lights remain on no matter how many times i press the button.

does that make any sense?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

since your CEL is still on, you'll want to pull the codes. If you have an obdII scan tool, you can pull the codes and see what the error is. If you live outside of CA and have an Autozone, they pull codes for free (I think they still do). If not, you'll have to goto the dealer and have the dealer pull the codes.

I'm suspecting it's some EVAP code or some emissions code.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

I had the same problem not too long ago on my 3rd gen. I can't recall exactly what I did, but the lights have not come on again. I know I cleaned the engine then the MAF sensor and all other connections with contact cleaner.
That sure was fun with no traction control tho I know I could have messed soemthing up, but I was so pissed at that point that it couldn't get worse. On barely wet pavement I was smokin' the tires for I'd say at least 1,200 ft. I could have done more if the corner wasn't comming up so fast and I had to slow down
Old 09-23-2004, 05:58 PM

I'd check the center dif lock switch real carefully. My dog routinely steps on it when I lock him in the car for hours on end in the AZ heat. Who knows, maybe that kid broke it. You can pull off the console apart pretty easy. Also, remember, I believe you have to be in neutral to engage/disengae the switch too. Just a thought
Old 09-23-2004, 06:20 PM
lee
Contributing Member

what year and mileage are you at?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just tried to clean my MAF. Pulled the plug off but wasn't able to unscrew it to clean, the screws suck and started to strip. Anyway, I went to work and coming home this morning my two VSC lights came on and stayed on along with the check engine light. I checked my MAF conection and it is clicked in there. Can't figure out what it is though.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:30 AM

freak - i'm gonna check the MAF this weekend. hopefully a nice cleaning will take care of it.

lee - it's a 2001 w/ approx. 50k miles.

sedonaz - the differential switch is on the dash and is working. when i 4wd, if i press the button, the little green light (dot) lights up and if i push it again, it will go out; however, the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights remain on. those lights remain on while in 2wd also. from what i've read, when in 2wd, i can not activate or deactivate the center locking differential; therefore, the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights should never come on. i'm not sure though.

citykid - were ur VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights on prior to attempting to clean the MAF?

Quick Reply: VSC/A-TRAC Warning Lights