Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC TRAC, TRAC OFF, CHECK ENGINE lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC TRAC, TRAC OFF, CHECK ENGINE lights

Having problems with acceleration from stop and on highway with my 2001 4 runner. The truck would hesitate and stumble slightly as I accelerated. Changed air filter, fuel filter, and put injection cleaner in tank. On the highway as I accelerated to pass a car had a lack of power and check engine , VSC TRAC, and TRAC OFF lights all came on. Truck still had no power, hesitated, and stumbled during acceleration. I was dropping it off to get some paint done so I did not pull the code. It has 84,000 mi and trans. Fluid is full. Any ideas will be appreciated thank you.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Almost impossible to tell without pulling the codes. Could be bad plug, coil, injector or a bunch of other things.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:20 PM

i kinda had the same problem and mint turned out to be a bad oxygen sensor and it happened round 78000 miles so that could be the problem
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM

try to check your fuel injector, ignition coil or it could be that your toyota oxygen sensor gone bad and it needs a replacement. try also looking for some loose connections or cross wired.. good luck..
Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Engine Lights

You've probably already fixed this by now but I've had the same lights come on twice. First time was a evap canister and the 2nd was a Fuel/Air Ratio sensor, basically a fancy O2 sensor but required for California spec emmissions. It also cost twice as much of course. Install is a snap for the sensor, the canister I had the dealer do it.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Where did you get directions to replace the air/fuel sensor. I have a bad one and the dealership wants $350 to replace it.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Engine, VSC Trac, Trac Off warning lights

Bought my 2002 4Runner (2WD) a year ago this week and have had no problems at all, what a cool truck!

A couple of days ago was driving up the freeway and engine, VSC trac & Trac Off warning lights all lit up at same time. After calling the dealer and researching forums, I'm pretty sure it's an oxygen sensor or mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose as do other reputable repair shops.
Any way to figure this out without that cash outlay?

I see the responses in this thread and were helpful, but I'm still stuck without knowing for sure what code it is. Don't wanna have to spend more than really necessary, so I'm asking (again).

The soonest anybody can get me in to diagnose is Friday and I'm 2 days into a week of vacation already that I've been planning for 3 months and had some camping/fishing scheduled. To top it all off, today happens to be my birthday (woo hoo!) and I'm stuck without reliable transport.

Do I need to park this machine till diagnosed and repaired or what?

Longing for the woods,

KB
Oakland, CA
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Cel, Fuel/air Or O2 Sensor

Originally Posted by WolfT
You've probably already fixed this by now but I've had the same lights come on twice. First time was a evap canister and the 2nd was a Fuel/Air Ratio sensor, basically a fancy O2 sensor but required for California spec emmissions. It also cost twice as much of course. Install is a snap for the sensor, the canister I had the dealer do it.
No, haven't gotten it repaired yet. Broke out the mountain bike and using the subway till I do. How much did the evap canister run you? I was thinking it might be fuel/air but assumed was same as 02 sensor. I believe there are 3 sensors, 1 before the cat and 2 after, may be wrong. Dealer wants about $125.

I found the part online for less than $60, but you gotta get the right one, may be more:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?
carcode=1388707&parttype=5132&a=FRc1388707k501671

Called the dealer again today to see if they would ck the code when I take it in next week for a recall repair (lower ball joint) that Toyota sent me a letter about (dealer pays). They said no and want $135 just to diagnose.

Checked w/AutoZone and Pep Boys to see if they would do for free and they said no, too. They have the scanners for rent (about $165, refunded), so I think I may go that route. Just don't wanna be wrong or could get more expensive. I'm think I'm looking at between $300-400 w/labor.

I got a lot of good information online. Here's a good one, I thought:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/O2_Sensor/

and this one has some possible codes and links:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39767

Lemme know if you find a solution.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Read Before You go to the Dealer!

I had this problem show up a couple times recently. The first time, it went away in a few days - before I could get to the dealer, so I just forgot about it. This time it happened again, so I took it in. It turns out that the gas cap was to blame! Not a bad gas cap, mind you, but it just wasn't screwed tight enough. Be sure and try this before you go to the dealer with this problem!

Now, before you all call me an idiot for not tightening the cap enough, know that it's illegal to pump your own gas here in NJ. That's nice when it's 18 degrees out (or 100 degrees!) but you don't have control over how they put the cap back on.

I hope this post saves others the $110 diagnostic fee I just paid.