Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

VSC and/or TRAC issues - 01 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC and/or TRAC issues - 01 4runner

I have searched a bit and dont think I have the answer(s) I need, hence this post.

My issue is this:
Either the VSC or TRAC control is kicking in when it is not warranted and almost got me killed the other day while turning through an intersection. I know this has happened to others and with the recent issues Toyota is dealing with, makes me think they should be repairing this as well. Don't get me wrong, I understand maintenance is required on all vehicles, but I don't think this is a standard maintenance issue. Nonetheless, I need to fix it now so I feel comformtable with my Wife and Kids in the truck.

Specifics are as follows:
- ONLY happens when in 4wd
- Only when moving from a dead stop or so far anyway
- Predominately happens when turning.... don't recall it being an issue when going straight.
- Happens when I turn both left or right, but I think it maybe worse when turning left.
- No lights are coming up on the dash (ie. no slipping occuring)
- And I can confirm there is no slippage.... I know the difference and I know when the vehicle should be slipping vs. not even close to slipping.

My question(s) are as follows;

1) How can I help determine the issue rather than going to the dealer for the famous "Are there any lights on the dash?" Again, no lights at all... not even for a second. Although I can here a faint clicking noise as if it was sensing slippage... (maybe a relay or something??)
2) Would it be fair to assume this is probably a front wheel speed sensor issue due to the fact it only happens when 4wd is engaged? (long shot, but just a guess).
3) Has anyone here resolved this issue besides messing with a VSC/TRAC/ABS bypass switch?

I just want some legitimate facts/resolution, not trying to create a massive thread here.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you put any type of lift on your 4runner (suspension, body lift, larger tires)?

If so have your dealer do a recalibration of your VSC system. It only takes them a couple of minutes and a couple of commands with their computer.

I had the same problem after I put in a set of OME springs front and back. But after a quick trip to the dealer its no longer a problem.

FOG
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing is technically wrong with your vehicle...just the nature of the over sensitive vsc system on '01, '02 4runners. It detects a minute fraction of wheel spin and detrottles your engine...it sucks I know. It's happened to me at least half a dozen times. Hence why I did the andy mod.

Like FOG said, have the dealer recalibrate the system. If that still doesn't fix it, then don't drive in 4wd on pavement. That may not be the answer you're looking for, but I know plenty of guys that have come real close to being involved in serious accidents when vsc detected a supposed wheel spin and detrottled their engines.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No mods at all.... but I will take in to see if they can do a calibration or whatever it is they might be able to do.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FogRunner
Have you put any type of lift on your 4runner (suspension, body lift, larger tires)?

If so have your dealer do a recalibration of your VSC system. It only takes them a couple of minutes and a couple of commands with their computer.

I had the same problem after I put in a set of OME springs front and back. But after a quick trip to the dealer its no longer a problem.

FOG

FOG, I was bored today and contacted a local dealer to find out how much they would charge to recalibrate the vsc system. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked of this...they said they knew of no way that could be done?? Called another dealer, got the same response??
Old 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Its called a Zero point calibration. I found the toyota PDF with instructions on how to reset it yourself. Start of page 407 step 7. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...bdb/preche.pdf

FOG
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FogRunner
Its called a Zero point calibration. I found the toyota PDF with instructions on how to reset it yourself. Start of page 407 step 7. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/...bdb/preche.pdf

FOG
Appreciate it.