Old 09-09-2005, 05:30 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
done
Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting how the article talks entirely about illegal off-road use, but the survey is for any off road use. hmmmm.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scottiac
interesting how the article talks entirely about illegal off-road use, but the survey is for any off road use. hmmmm.
Yah, I thought so to but then I thought that makes it that much more important to vote.

Did ya vote?

We can't let a few idiots ruin it for the responsible wheelers.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:12 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Not a bad idea to write to your congresspersons. Ten to one they will change the law in a way that makes less sense than what they have now because they don't understand the nature of various off road vehicles, or the options they might employ.

For example- except for the bizzarre example of running a snowmobile over the crust of a geyser cone - how else could snowmobiles harm anything? The snow melts, the trails are gone... Limiting certain areas and enforcing those boundaries severely is fine, but the trend is simply to close more and more HUGE parcels of land. It is OUR land - WE are the public - if the hippies want a place to walk with no roads they get that, if the rest of us want a place to drive on trails (and maybe run over the occasional lost hitchhiking hippie) then we too should get some consideration.

Let them know what you think.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloPoke
Yah, I thought so to but then I thought that makes it that much more important to vote.

Did ya vote?

We can't let a few idiots ruin it for the responsible wheelers.
I'm kind of on the fence about this. I like 4wheeling, but what would they do to the "few" that are ruining it for us responsible offroaders if they allowed 4wheelers to keep going to the parks? Maybe they can allow it, but put get some sort of enforcement for the idiot offroaders.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah but if they stop off roading it will be for all of us. There is no way that any state or federal govenment agency would put the money into regulations that would limit the usage to "responsible" drivers. First of all there are not enough of us around. Second it would cost to much to hire more park rangers to insure we follow any new laws. It would just be easier to say forget it all together and ban us. i jsust don't see any gray areas
Old 09-09-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Keggo
I'm kind of on the fence about this. I like 4wheeling, but what would they do to the "few" that are ruining it for us responsible offroaders if they allowed 4wheelers to keep going to the parks? Maybe they can allow it, but put get some sort of enforcement for the idiot offroaders.
IMO.....We need to fight to keep the lands open and then fine the hell outa the idiots. Make the fines STEEP, real STEEP. This will ensure the idiots only offend once. Then after a while, peeps will be less likely to be idiots as they'll know it'll cost em dearly.

I say fight to keep lands open for the responsible offroaders and fine the hell outa the idiot ones. Nothin' like hittin' em in the pocket book. That's usually a big lesson learner.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM

Done.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Look at groups like the CA4WDA - an association of clubs. Combined they have enough members to have some clout. They also do high profile good deeds, which helps a lot. It shows that there's a large number of voters (thats the big key) who are responsible and serious about their sport. Join a club, join a bigger association, and get active.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

we are experiencing similar situations in ontario with the atv's and snowmobiles. the ontario federation of 4 wheel drive recreationist is a provincial body that is working closely with the government for trail management, sustainability, mapping and creating a gps based trail system. please visit the site and browse, some of the site is available to members only but there should be plenty to read.

http://www.of4wd.com/

this may give you some ideas as to how to approach the legislators in a positive manner.

lee
Old 09-09-2005, 04:15 PM

voted yes, and the yess are winning by a wide margin.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Stop Making Cool Places Natural Parks, Wilderness Reserves Etc. Leave It Open Blm Land. As Soon As You Build A Ranger Station And Put Someplace On A Map All The Idiots Say "lets Go There!!!!!" F-that!!!! Leave Stuff Off The Usgs Maps. I Watched The Black Rock Desert Destroyed By The Burning Man People And Subsequent Popularity. Next Thing You Know There Will Be Guard Rails And Vending Machines On The Trail In Moab So Little Johnny Does Not Wet His Pants, And Can Have A Candy Bar When His X-box Runs Out. But Thats Ok, Daddy Can Stroll Down To The Ranger Station And Get The Blm To Fly In A Helicopter And Get His Truck Unstuck From 2" Of Mud Because He Can't Put It In 4wd!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

LEAVE THE LANDS OPEN, AND POST A SIGN: TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK, ALL VEHICLE OWNERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEMSELVES, NO RESCUE OPERATIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED. tHAT WOULD WEED OUT THE MEN FROM THE BOYS REAL QUICK
Old 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=18045

I have a cool t-shirt from this event,
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

This kind of thing is even starting to take place in the Yukon. For what reason I don't know...

A land mass twice the size of Texas with 30,000 people and more trails than you could explore in a lifetime doesn't need regulations IMO.

Just recently (2 years ago) there was a big stink about motorized vehicles in this one area as there is a wetland nearby. 3 months ago they paved over the entire area and built condos.

It makes no sense to me.

I am all for the steep fines for morons. It's the same issue that if a few people are speeding on the freeway. Do you close down the freeway and make everyone walk? No! You fine the speeders. Granted speeding hasn't come to a grinding halt, but it's much harder to catch speeders than it is to catch rednecks in 4x4's driving off trail and throwing mud everywhere.