Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vibration when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration when braking

I notice a vibration in the front part of the car when I brake slowly, ie slowly putting more pressure on the brake pedal as I'm braking.

Also, the Front-Left tire and Rear-Right tire are new, while the other 2 tires are half-worn, about 38,800 miles.

When I drive on even surfaces at high speeds (freeway) I notice a bumpiness to the car, kind of like the car tires lean left and right as I'm driving.

My question is, do both the vibration and the bumpiness have to do with the tires or is there something wrong with the brakes? I just got new brake pads and rotors but the mechanic said he could replace the rotors at no cost if I want since there's a warranty.

Also, would it help to rotate the tires so that the new ones are at the front, then drive it around again to see if the problems persist?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM

do you have a tacoma or a 4runner?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM

id put the new ones on the back unless you plan on replacing the other ones soon. the rear wear faster because its rear wheel drive. the vibration is most likely the rotors, they become warped if they get hot or somethin. mine are the same way
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mechanic ripped you off...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 AM

ya you should just put your new tires on the back. you should look into the tundra brake upgrade because there is no brake warp or shake what so ever. no matter what the warranty is on those roters there will always be a shake sense they warp so easily.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I have a 2001 Tacoma.

So it sounds like the vibration is common. Is it dangerous if I leave it the way it is then? Or should I go back to the mechanic and get another new pair (that is, if he's actually not ripping me off...)?

And is it also safe to leave the tires the way they are or will it be detrimental to the truck?

I'm just so sick of dealing with mechanics the past few months that I'd rather avoid them if I can.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Go back and have them warranty the brake work, and put the two new tires on the front.
Is the vibration just when you ease on the brake or hit the harder?
I say most likely the rotors are warped.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM

The brake work is warranted, so the mechanic said he could change the rotors at no cost.

The vibration occurs when I ease on the brake.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM

it also could be crack in there somewhere cuz i have a crack one of my drums and my truck shakes a lil bit.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Yea i would be willing to bet money it the rotors....but the new tires still need to be on either front or rear!!! keep up with the updates wanna see the out come!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 AM

I have the same problem; my 4Runner pulls to the left when I put the brakes on, and if I really lay into them it will start to shake. I have a tire out of balance that was rotated from front left to right rear and the vibration moved with it. These trucks are notorious for both of these issues, but tire balancing is the easiest one to fix. You may need to take it to a dealer to get them to balance it right, because the weight of the rims is centered around the lugs, NOT the central hub. I know it seems like it shouldn't make a difference, but it does. Not a major one, but enough of one for you to notice it in your tires.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Gdutch if you car is pulling when you apply the brakes you pro have a bad caliper or unevenly worn brake pads!

Rawkerrxx do not take anything to the dealer unless you like getting raped... if ballance is an issue take it to a discount tire store and have them roadforce the tire(they will know what you mean)... you ballance the tire on the rim no matter what rim it on...What road force will do, is put the light part of the tire on the heavy part of the rim ,and give you the smoothest ride possible out of the tires.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I'll probably take the truck to the mechanic to rotate the tires, see if that fixes anything. If the problem persists then I'll change the rotors again.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contrary to what some of you think the front tires wear faster either way front or rear wheel drive, it has to do with turning and the back do not turn, as well they wear more due to alignment the back do not really get out of alignment!!

The only time rear tires wear more is when the pressure is low or high and the front is good...

Safety first put the new on the front, is possible when one blows it can make the truck pull towards it. The rear is easier to handle when it goes!!! That is unless you have all wheel steering!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Tire store are required to put new tires on the back if you only buy two, Studies have shown that it is easier to control a vehicle with a flat rear tire than a front tire ,I like to mine on the back like most but last time I got just two new tires they wouldn`t and the guy showed a notice from his insurance company .
Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 PM

I screwed that up meant to say flat front is easier to control then rear
Old 07-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by calcuta
Tire store are required to put new tires on the back if you only buy two, Studies have shown that it is easier to control a vehicle with a flat rear tire than a front tire ,I like to mine on the back like most but last time I got just two new tires they wouldn`t and the guy showed a notice from his insurance company .
X2 (worked at Discount tire for 3 years) and learn a wholes lot about tires!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/b...l#post51481599

Here is one thread about the tundra upgrade. The best mod i did for mine!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM

yup any time you have "brake shudder" when you hit the brakes. its the rotors that are warped.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
Contrary to what some of you think the front tires wear faster either way front or rear wheel drive, it has to do with turning and the back do not turn, as well they wear more due to alignment the back do not really get out of alignment!!

The only time rear tires wear more is when the pressure is low or high and the front is good...
I'm sorry but this isn't true at all. If you keep your truck or rwd car properly aligned and drive with even just a slightly heavy right foot you will burn rear tires faster. I see it all the time.

Quick Reply: Vibration when braking