Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vibration in cab and rear axle noise.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration in cab and rear axle noise.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this page and fairly new to working on yota's. My wife's is 2000 4runner, 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive. She's getting a vibration in the cab starting around 40 mph that seems to get worse when you let off the gas. I've changed the u-joints, engine mounts, and rear wheel bearings. I've also had the drive shaft balanced and nothing so far has had any effect on the vibration/noise. I'm beginning to think that it's the differential. I've read that it could be the pinion bearing, but I have no idea where to start with that.The two youtube videos below show the noise it's making running and not running. The noise in the first video made me think that the wheel bearings were bad, but I jacked up my 4runner and I seem to have a similar noise in my rear wheels so perhaps it is normal. But I'm pretty sure the noise in the second video is not normal at all. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN-R...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-12-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second video is in hyperlink at bottom of page

For some, reason the second video didn't embed, but is in the hyperlink at the bottom of the post.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Your probably on the right track with the rear diff, what kind of service intervals has it seen, how many Km's/mi. My 4R and my dads 2012 Taco seem to dirty the rear diff fluid every 30,000-50,000 Km with normal use, the T-case and front diff still look clean after 50,000km, so the rear diff takes a beating, check to see if the fluid looks like metallic paint.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 11-17-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to tighten the pinion nut on the rear diff. On the 2nd gens this was extremely common problem. They have a crush washer underneath. Many will replace this with a solid washer if they have vibration problems. Tightening it might temporarily alleviate the problem, but at least you'll know if you're chasing the right component.

Also, seriously check to see if you have a bent rim. They can act just like you're describing.

Search this Thread