Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

V8 4Runner - Webpage Update

Old 05-03-2005, 08:01 AM
JD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8 4Runner - Webpage Update

Hi Guys

After all these years I finally got around to updating my webpage with some new finished projects, although I still have to complete a few and there's more to start.

V8 4Runner

JD
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

I remember looking at your page a few years ago. Looks good how is it running.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:09 PM

that rear housing and detroit locker setup is amazing work! You should have just bought an ARB or a toyota elocker but i have to hand it to you, the dana 44 is pretty sweet.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome rig. You guys have more choices down there than we do. I remember when our ship visited Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Hobart and almost all I saw were tricked-out hiluxes. Good job.

George
Old 05-03-2005, 05:17 PM

geez you have been busy!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:36 PM
JD

Originally Posted by heckler
....You should have just bought an ARB or a toyota elocker ....
Aghh but thats why I did this as both these are open centres in normal mode, which is useless with a high HP V8. Fitting a Dana44 allowed me to use the new Detroit Electrac which is a Truetrac LSD in normal mode but it can also be fully locked.

Dudebud.

No problems at all and she's done over 205,000klm since the swap and a great engine as it never misses a beat. I've not had to replace any sensors or parts etc and it runs sweet as. My main wish now would be to get a full stock replacement coilover kit for the front. Total Chaos advised they are looking into it so fingers crossed.

George

I picked up a couple of guys from the forums when their ships visited us and we toured the wrecking yards (diesel engines ) and 4wd shops, LOL.

JD

Last edited by JD; 05-03-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JD
Aghh but thats why I did this as both these are open centres in normal mode, which is useless with a high HP V8. Fitting a Dana44 allowed me to use the new Detroit Electrac which is a Truetrac LSD in normal mode but it can also be fully locked.

Dudebud.

No problems at all and she's done over 205,000klm since the swap and a great engine as it never misses a beat. I've not had to replace any sensors or parts etc and it runs sweet as. My main wish now would be to get a full stock replacement coilover kit for the front. Total Chaos advised they are looking into it so fingers crossed.

George

I picked up a couple of guys from the forums when their ships visited us and we toured the wrecking yards (diesel engines ) and 4wd shops, LOL.

JD
What city in Australia are you from? I might have a chance to go back there in a couple of years.

george
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 PM
JD

George.

Perth. If you do email me.

JD
Old 05-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have any more pics of the electric disconnects? i.e.-connected and unconnected while installed on the vehicle.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:30 AM
JD

Brian

I'll take some more tomorrow and post. I only have the rear connected at the moment as I'm still trying to find the time to finish the fronts.

JD
Old 05-04-2005, 04:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JD
Hi Guys

After all these years I finally got around to updating my webpage with some new finished projects, although I still have to complete a few and there's more to start.

V8 4Runner

JD

I thought that you couldnt own v8s of any kind in australia? I remember something about the government down there outlawing them after a few stupid kids killed themselves with v8 equipped cars.... (It was OBVIOUSLY the v8's fault!! lol)

I say give everyone v12s and let the stupid weed themselves from the gene pool...LOL

Anyhow EXCELLENT work on the motor swap!!! So you going to put any more power adders? (Like boost or nitrous?)
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 AM
JD

Someone's been peeing in your pocket, LOL.

Oz and rear wheel drive V8's are brothers.

Ford Oz has done some exotic things to some of your engines for our cars. Our current model performance Falcon engine is assembled here and uses a 5.4 block with Cobra DOHC heads but with a Ford Oz designed trumpet intake.

They also do wicked inline sixes with intercooled turbos etc. They are currently working on a twin turbo'd version. You can buy an awesome rear wheel drive 5.4 V8 ute with over 400HP and then there's a very active aftermarket industry to add some more. You need to visit. LOL

The last of the Windsors went out as a factory 347 with an awesome factory designed trumpet intake manifold. They tested all those available but decided to make their own as those tested weren't regarded as any good.

As far as mine goes, no its got more than enough, but one of those factory 347's would be nice............

JD

Last edited by JD; 05-04-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very impressed with your conversion (I viewed the old site quite a few times).
My biggest question is " are you seriously getting 12L/100km for mileage off that V8?
If so that is truly impressive because that would be around 20+ MPG.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
JD

Jamie.

Yes no problems if I keep it steady around the 110kph area cruising. I have had it down to 10L/100 when cruising on a cold night at 90-100kph.

Given the 4Runners are not very aerodynamic I am more than happy with its current fuel useage as I have never had a V8 in a car !!! that would give me that. I even think it would be possible to get more if I detuned the engine for absolute economy etc but thats not going to happen, LOL.

JD
Old 05-05-2005, 02:10 AM
JD

Brian

This is in the locked position.

Unlocked with free droop.

Holding it up in free travel. Total travel is around 5".

Let me know if you wanted different pics, LOL.

JD
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

That's perfect, thanks.

Is it hard to get them locked again once you unlock them?

Last edited by Praufet; 05-05-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JD
George.

Perth. If you do email me.

JD
Thanks. I'll be stationed in Japan in October.

George
Old 05-05-2005, 05:52 PM
JD

Brian

No, as the opposite side is still fixed so its normal action moves the unlocked side up and down the disconnect internal sliders as you go over bumps but being free sliding no swaybar tension can be applied to either side etc.

But when this unit is turned off as soon as the two holes line up the locking pin slams into place as it is spring loaded and both are again fully operational.

ie, I had to unbolt the other side so I could freely move the disconnect up for the last pic as normally RH suspension travel would do this. When turned off just letting go of the bar was enough to relock as it dropped and wammo the pin instantly relocked it.

I have made some initial mods to one for the front but need to retest the actual amount of front swaybar movement if one side is free etc. It maybe possible that one disconnect will also be enough for the front. But I seem to think it will require two.

If so, it still won't be a problem with both being free sliding because as soon as one side lines up the locking holes due to the swaybar moving up and down etc the spring loaded pin will slam into place. The relocked side will then quickly move the opposite side into alignment.

I guess a smart idea would be to turn off all the disconnects just before finishing the last section of uneven ground so the uneven ground causes the bars to move back into relocked position.

When I get to finishing the front it won't take long to suss it all out

JD
Old 05-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, I wish I could see a diagram of these just to see how they made it all work. I get the general concept from your description, but I'm the kind of person that would really need to see a diagram to get it.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
JD

Just think of it as if it was a small shock absorber as basically thats what it is

But the sliding shaft has a hole in it for the locking pin to go into and also a grove cut into it along its length that a small fixed pin on the body section sits in, ie to stop the hole from rotating

The top of the shaft in the body section has a normal seal setup like on a shock shaft and also on the bottom body section. The body section has a quantity of grease in it for general lubrication.

The cable has a locking pin attached to it but also a spring behind the pin. When the cable electrically withdraws the pin out of the shaft hole, this spring is squashed up etc. When turned off the cable extends outwards and the pin is then sitting freely in its socket section but spring loaded. When the hole appears it zaps into it and the shaft is once again locked solid.

Its clever and very simple.

I will post a pic tonight of the Oz mechanical operated cable disconnect I was going to use on the rear until I got this electric version. It is different again and uses a very clever set up much like a head valve collett.

JD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V8 4Runner - Webpage Update