Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Upgrading my sound system (subwoofer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading my sound system (subwoofer)

I don't know if any here are music fans and need an extra umph in the car, but I'm looking to install my sub in my 98 4Runner and need some help. I've got a 10" Infiniti Perfect mated with a JL 500/1(overkill, I know). Anyway, I just wanted to find out what the best/cleanest way run the wire would be. Is running them under the side trim the best way or straight up the middle? Also, should I run the wires all the way to the back, then hook up the cap/amp/sub, or put the amp under the seat? I'd like to be able to take the sub out quick when I'm needing the space to haul.

Suggestions or Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look in the tech section and find my writeup on a complete stereo install

bob
Old 07-05-2006, 10:11 PM

i have a second generation and i put my amp under my driver seat for the purpose of theft. You could screw the amp into the back of the sub box but then your screwed if one gets stolen. i ran all the power along the trim and then under the carpet to the amp and then from under the carpet back to the trim and to the sub. whenever i have to remove my sub all i have to do is unplug the neg and pos going to the sub and im done. hope this helps
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

first off, when it comes to car stereo, its never overkill i have a jl w7 12" powered by a 1000/1 jl amp. I have the amp mounted to the back of the rear seats, simply because it was too large to fit anywhere elese. the cap, and distro box i have under the right rear seat where the jack tools are kept, but you could jsut as easily mount under a seat. I used high quality signal cables as well as running 0/1 awg power wire, as well as the amp to headunit auto power on/off wires, and needless to say, there is no way they could get under the doorsill. I routed them from the engine compartment through the firewall, using grommets of course, to behind the stereo, and then down the right side of the center console (near the passenger's left foot) and back under the seats, into the jack storage area, where it was easy to connect to the sub sitting in the trunk. this way, it was easy to disconnect the sub for more storage needs. The wires all ran under the carpet and were not noticeble at all. even pushing the carpet with your hands you can only feel the 1/0 awg power wire in a couple of places. it is a real easy way to route the cables, as opposed to under the truck. If ya need help, let me know. good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
in my 4runner i also had my amp under the drivers seat. i ran the wires from the stereo under the middle console and under the carpet and popped them out right at the amp. then from the amp i went back under the carpet and ran them along the side trim to the back and popped those out right at the sub. it was very clean.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have a soundstream 500 watt running my two cerwin vega HED 12"s. Anyways, I could fit my amp inside the little compartment on the right hand side, and ran the speaker wires under the carpet. My power wires are along the right hand side of the car, under the trim, it's only 4GA so it actually fits. The RCA's are along the driver side (to keep them from interfearing with eachother). The RCA's go under the carpet under the back seat. Also my amp didn't fit through the hole, so i had to pull the trim off, and slide it in through the back. Everyone asks me where my amp is

And here it is all covered up.

Last edited by ilikesoup; 07-06-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 AM

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

ilikesoup, that's a clean install. I'm going to try to see if my amp will fit in that little compartment, but I think the JL is too big.

I got everything ready to go for this weekend's install, so hopefully everything goes smooth. I'll probably end up putting the amp under the seat. Thanks again for all the inputs.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 AM

Hey p nut;

I have that same Amp!! It fits perfect under the from seat!! Awesome Amp If i might add!!

If you want any pics of my Install?? PM me or Email me!! I'll be glad to help ya!!
Good Luck
Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 AM

Thanks, 97! You just saved me a lot of time of figuring out where to put the amp. Yeah, I love this amp. I had it in my other car and sound great. I just need to get a better sub and box. I'll send you a PM with my email.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Amps under the front seats work well on 3rd gens, plus hard to steal if bolted down.

Sub in the back.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks, David.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to our forums...

I really like my setup because it takes away very little storage space. My sub enclosure fits over the wheelwell and only takes up a bit of side space, giving me the whole area when you fold down the seats. I also like the mounting of a fire extinguisher there. Also you can pull the factory cover over it and hide it.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks again, David. I do like your setup, but I don't think I'll have time to customize my box to fit over the wheelwell. When I get more time, I'll give that a shot. Definately a great idea. For now, I'm just going to try to make sure I plug everything in right.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DavidA
Amps under the front seats work well on 3rd gens, plus hard to steal if bolted down.

Looks alot like my truck about a month ago. I have the heater under the passenger seat in my third gen, so i was able to put both amps under the drivers side. Gotta love the size of Audison amps. Also, instead of bolting down the sub, I bought a bracket for the sub box, and locked it to one of the cargo hooks. Noone is stealing that woofer. Since i had to go outside and take a picture, i took a few more of the amps as well.

Side view, the wires are tucked under the seat, you only see them when looking at that view. The audison powering my 4 speakers behind the wires.

The drivers seat fully back (where it usually is) with my sub amp just covered. When my wife drives, you can see the entire amp. But shes 5'4".

There are focal polyglass 165V1's (6.5" component) up front. MB Quart RKC 110's (4.25" components) in the back. Why put some high quality dinky speakers in the back you ask? I had them rocking out in the front of my '86 truck, and i couldnt sell them. And an eclipse 10" woofer for the 50hz and under range.

Yes I may have hijacked this thread for my own glory.
you can have it back now.
Good luck with the stereo install, originality is where the best ideas come from.

Last edited by gregbreakseverything; 07-06-2006 at 05:13 PM. Reason: need to spell check
Old 07-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Another vote for under the front seats. I don't think they will fit if you have power seats, but if your seats are manual they will fit fine. I even have my satellite radio tuner box under one of the seats as well along with one of the amps.

Matt
Old 07-07-2006, 07:11 AM

That's what I'm afraid of. My seats are power seats and that JL amp isn't exactly the smallest amp. Well, I'll find out later on today.

Thanks again to those that gave advice and posted pics.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 AM

thats a nice box, David. plan on building a stealth box myself w/ a 10", similar to urs.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks...I actually borrowed the plans from a storage box design someone had made up for their 3rd gen. I think next time I will make two of them and make the top slightly lower and longer to fit under the front retractable cover mount. So one side would be pure storage and the other side would be a slightly larger enclosure for the sub. Behind that front is a sideways L-shaped enclosure to fit over the wheelwheel. I extended the front mounting "plate" to go over the wheelwell and provide a "third" leg for the box to stand on. An eye bolt screws into the end of the box next to the fire extinguisher and used a nylon tie to secure it to the cargo net hook. That way a hard turn does not flip it.

Last edited by DavidA; 07-07-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

I found the orignal plan that I tweaked:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/additions2.html

Look at the Cargo Organizer.

Props to J.A.! Good stuff! I don't know if he comes here under a Nom De Plume.

Last edited by DavidA; 07-07-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:37 AM

I didn't see any caps in those pics. Do you guys have them?

Quick Reply: Upgrading my sound system (subwoofer)