Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

upgrading fuel system 3.4 S/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading fuel system 3.4 S/C

I am doing research on what has been dyno proven to make horsepower and still streetable.

but i can't seem to find out what size the stock injectors are for the 5vzfe? what are they?

i am putting a 190lph walboro pump in with 315cc or bigger oem injectors outta something, just havent figured it out yet. getting my base dyno run here soon....
Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just get the URD kit if i were you. They have all the right parts that you need in one package. It has been proven to work and you know you won't mess anything up.

As for street drivable the URD kit take you about as far as you can go and still be street leagle. I plan on doing that when i get my SC.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here you go, about half way down:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm

Although I hear there were slight differences in the stock injectors over the years (size wise).
Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 AM

yeah there kit is nice and all. but i can spend less than that kit and get ALOT more and better stuff. here is what i mean...
-190 walboro - free cause i have it
-450cc fuel injectors - 100 bucks
-S-AFC II - 250 bucks
-dyno run - 55 bucks each

i dont like the idea of a preset map setting like the one on the URD site. while being easy and quick, probably wont be the best for specific tuning. i live at 6000 ft above sea level so the settings change, as well as when i change something or upgrade then i would have to have my FMU recalibrated. i would rather get the safc and tune it myself on the dyno tweak it here and there to get every drop of efficency out of my motor.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yotacool
yeah there kit is nice and all. but i can spend less than that kit and get ALOT more and better stuff. here is what i mean...
-S-AFC II - 250 bucks

i dont like the idea of a preset map setting like the one on the URD site. while being easy and quick, probably wont be the best for specific tuning. i live at 6000 ft above sea level so the settings change, as well as when i change something or upgrade then i would have to have my FMU recalibrated. i would rather get the safc and tune it myself on the dyno tweak it here and there to get every drop of efficency out of my motor.
Not sure what you mean about a preset map? My URD FTC came preloaded with tuning maps, but they are still user adjustable. The preloaded maps just give you a headstart on the tuning process. They don't keep you from making your own maps.

BTW you're likely to have problems idling with 450cc injecters (too big) I've found I have to pull a lot of fuel from the map with the 318cc injectors to keep from running too rich at WOT. And that's near sea level with a 2.1" pulley, at 6000 ft you will have less fuel needs than I do.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-21-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 AM

-S-AFC II - 250 bucks

What do you mean by preset map? There is a startup map when you first get the URD kit, but by no means is it anywhere near what you should be at after a tune. The FTC is fully tweakable in both vacuum, boost, and timing control. 450cc injectors??? that's overkill, especially for the trd s/c. Hell, at your altitude (I'm at 5900'), I don't think I even need my 318cc's.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM

I am doing research on what has been dyno proven to make horsepower and still streetable.

but i can't seem to find out what size the stock injectors are for the 5vzfe? what are they?

i am putting a 190lph walboro pump in with 315cc or bigger oem injectors outta something, just havent figured it out yet. getting my base dyno run here soon....
my friends custom turbo set up on his 01 tacoma at 13lbs of boost: uses 440 cc injectors with the urd kit, and they were very hard to control initially with the urd kit, but after agonizing hours of tuning, we got it right. For a reg stupidcharged vehicle, the urd kit with 318's is plenty, if your worried, go 390's max - its more than enough.

And regarding the preset maps from urd - theyre a start up map which will allow you to run the vehicle initially without leaning anything out and causing more damage than good. Its up to you to do tuneing after that to get it to run correctly, although the base map on my 03 tacoma i had was nearly perfect to what i ended up tuning to.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

oh ok.... so it is just a programable FMU? how is it that you tune it? DOS operating system or something? but i think im just gonna go with the S-AFC II, that is pretty much the same thing i believe. i am comfortable with how to tune them and have a lot of options for tuning.

yeah the 450cc was the set my buddy said he had and would sell me for cheap. i will probably go with the 315cc out of the 7mge. those fit right? i also read a few things about people putting in the injectors out of the 2jz... but i cant find a simple flow chart for what stock injectors flow!!!

once i found out that the stockies are around 238cc i figured 315-390 is the ball park i am going to stay in.

first im just going to put the 190 FP in and maybe free up some exhaust back pressure, a little.... and finish making my intake. just need to have the elbow made.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

oh ok.... so it is just a programable FMU? how is it that you tune it? DOS operating system or something?
You need a laptop with Windows XP, 2000 or 98 2nd ed (or a Mac I guess) to run the R4 software. I heard Vista doesn't work and I had some problems with the 98 2nd ed, but XP works great. The only bummer about the Split Second FTC is you have to shut down the engine to adjust the maps. There is some piggy back available that lets you adjust on the fly, I'd look into that if I was doing it again as that would be really sweet.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 PM

yeah im pretty sure then that i will go with the S-AFC II becuase with that you can adjust while running and monitor everything while driving/racing whatever. and there is no need for a computer to tune it. and its CHEAPER!! yay!

we have been slow enough at work today i was going to put the fuel pump in, but i want to run a cut off switch and 30 wire and relay for it all at the same time. with my luck, i would pull it in and then get handed a job....
Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the Apexi able to pull timing?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The only bummer about the Split Second FTC is you have to shut down the engine to adjust the maps. There is some piggy back available that lets you adjust on the fly, I'd look into that if I was doing it again as that would be really sweet.
True that bro. That crap get's old REAL quick. I wasn't aware that there were piggybacks that are on the fly. I wish there was a standalone that fully integrated into the stock wiring harness. I had a buddy who ran a hydra nemesis in his RX-7 3rd gen. Just set your target AFRs and you can autotune with the integrated wideband...droool.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ciscojay
True that bro. That crap get's old REAL quick. I wasn't aware that there were piggybacks that are on the fly. I wish there was a standalone that fully integrated into the stock wiring harness. I had a buddy who ran a hydra nemesis in his RX-7 3rd gen. Just set your target AFRs and you can autotune with the integrated wideband...droool.
Yeah I can't remember what it was now but a search should scare it up.

Co Springs huh, I go there every summer. Garden of the Gods and the Broadmore, cool.

EDIT: It may have been in this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...thread-111739/

EDIT AGAIN: yeah it was in that thread, here's the post where Mark talks about the tuning on the fly:
https://www.yotatech.com/50535515-post308.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-22-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Nice, I'll have to research those piggybacks. Yeah the Springs rocks man. So much to do here. The last 5 years has been very interesting though...it was always a nice medium sized city, now it's morphing into a mini-Denver...both good and bad I guess. I live like 5 minutes from the Garden...west side fo' life! Well..actually nothwest side..nice town. Sorry off topic, but gotta represent.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Is the Apexi able to pull timing?
Nope!! Its actually just the opposite...By altering map/maf signals it will cause the timing to advance at certian throttle positions...The safc is a band-aid fix, and not a very good one at that...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 PM

His results with the SAFC are going to be less than desireable. He will have only temporary control over the injectors in closed loop. The stock ECU will override his settings in short time and it is barely going to run at idle. The timing maps will be screwed up, driveability will be extremely poor and it won't come even close to passing emissions.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM

ive had serveral cars with big fuel systems and high horse power with the safc. my last one was an rx-7 with 750cc injectors and a 60 trim turbo. running 12.2 qtr mile in denver. so they run just fine with them if the user understands cars and how to tune them correctly. if tuned right you dont efven need to change the plugs. colder plugs is a bandaid fix. to disguise a mis-tuned fuel/ignition system.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Right, but using the combination of parts you mentioned above (walbro, 450cc injectors, s-afc), you will have no way of controlling the injectors in closed loop. Sure, you can trick the MAF into thinking there is either more or less air coming in than reality, but after a short amount of time the ECU will be looking at the oxygen sensor readings and say "hey, it's way too rich around here" and it will override your S-AFC settings. When it pulls fuel, it pulls timing as well, which really screws with idle and power delivery. If you make a sizeable injector change, the ECU will only be able to pull so much fuel (I think it's about 18-20%) before you'll get a check engine light and then you'll be in limp-home mode.

You'll need something other than an S-AFC to calibrate those 450cc injectors to the MAF you're using.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM

my last one was an rx-7 with 750cc injectors and a 60 trim turbo. running 12.2 qtr mile in denver.
PICS!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have been running a SAFC-II in my 96 with Walbro Pump, bigger injectors, small pulley and it sort-of stumbles at start up and is on the rich side at WOT but I have yet to really dive into tuning it. If I remember correctly the big problem with the SAFC-II is that there is no timing control. First things first though, I'm looking into getting a good OBDII scanner/logger (I'm about to make another thread about that). I'll be interested in seeing what you go with. I have A LOT to learn about tuning so I'll post up as I find out more... While it might not be the BEST option, the SAFC does work. Hopefully I'll get everything up and running again soon and get some good time logging to see what needs to be done and if I can't get this thing running better. It sounds like its not going to be an easy task (if at all) but like I said, I have A LOT to learn and the SAFC is a start.

Last edited by turboale; 12-28-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: upgrading fuel system 3.4 S/C