95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

updates on my 3.notsoslow project

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updates on my 3.notsoslow project

the other thread was getting too long so this is where i will post my updates,
my car is a 95 3.0 4runner auto with the factory 31's 4.88 rear

im going today to get all synthetics for all the oils.

i had the k&n fipk.... waste of money, it made a horrible chattering noise on mine and i lost power! it sounds loud on full throttle but thats about all it did.

next step is the headers and custom exhaust... ill keep you updated

my 3.0 your 3.4

Last edited by gtm130; 07-01-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gtm130
my 3.0 your 3.4
You wish. I've got a high-flow cat, dynomax muffler, timing advanced, isr mod, and half my airbox cut out and it's still a dog. I am running 4.10 gears though. Even with 4.88s it'll still suck but would probably be much better than what it is now.

I hear the headers aren't worth it for the time and money you put into them.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AgRunner06
You wish. I've got a high-flow cat, dynomax muffler, timing advanced, isr mod, and half my airbox cut out and it's still a dog. I am running 4.10 gears though. Even with 4.88s it'll still suck but would probably be much better than what it is now.

I hear the headers aren't worth it for the time and money you put into them.

Dude you gotta regear if you are running taller than stock tires. These mods help the engine produce torque at higher RPM's. (read: more power) This makes lower gearing particularly effective! Believe me, you put in 4.88's and your truck will get up and move big time. In order to really feel and improvement with tall gearing, you need a big boost in torque throughout the RPM band. Without say forced induction, that means building a stroker or putting in a just plain much bigger motor.

Basically, you got a motor/gear mismatch.

Frank
Old 07-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elripster
Basically, you got a motor/gear mismatch.
Yeah I know. I'm geared for the 225's. Damn it sucks, but a regear is just so expensive. I wish I could get it done for $500-$600 but I doubt that could happen. Plus since it would be apart, I would probably have to have a locker put in too.

If I keep the 4runner, I've got an injector rebuild and a vibration to fix first. Alignment is going to happen tomorrow so hopefully that will fix the vibration. My fingers are crossed.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gtm130
my 3.0 your 3.4
I don't think so!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:30 PM

I've now owned both a 3.0 and a 3.4. The 3.4 is no comparison, however, I have faith in you man! I want to see what can be done to the 3.0.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Yeah I know. I'm geared for the 225's. Damn it sucks, but a regear is just so expensive. I wish I could get it done for $500-$600 but I doubt that could happen. Plus since it would be apart, I would probably have to have a locker put in too.

If I keep the 4runner, I've got an injector rebuild and a vibration to fix first. Alignment is going to happen tomorrow so hopefully that will fix the vibration. My fingers are crossed.

I feel your pain. Sometimes you can score in the used market but it can take a while for a deal to come up.

Frank
Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 AM

new update....https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/mods-3-0-durring-full-rebuild-35794/

this might work let me know what you think.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

hey frank, ive been trying to find out what my gear code is. i have a 93 v6 auto, the trans code is g144. i found a site that i was able to decode this and it suggests that the stock tires were 31's and a ratio of 4.875 (4.88) ? the placard states 225/75r 15 as stock tires, there are 235/75r 15 bfg long trail at's on it now. any ideas/suggestions switching to 31's with this tranny code? my apologies if i hijacked the thread, rookie here!

thanks,

lee
Old 07-04-2004, 08:41 AM

Lee, to verify what you have, I'd jack up one side of the rear, mark the tire and drive shaft, spin the tire once, and count the turns of the driveshaft. You should be just shy of 5 turns on the driveshaft.

As for what gears, it depends on if you ever want to go with larger tires. I'd say do a search, have a 5 speed but lots of info is out as to what those with autos are running gears Vs tires. From what I've read, 5.29's should work well with 31's.

Frank
Old 07-04-2004, 08:49 AM

Lee, Toyota only produced one tire inflation sticker so everyone with 31's has the same sticker as you. I'm assuming you have an auto since you have 4.88's. 4.56 and 4.88 were the gear ratios with the 31 inch tire option. 225 equipped trucks had 4.10's.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck came with 225's, an auto and 4.56's.

I think you are polishing a turd.

22RE upgrades are pretty well proven. Same with 3.4

You are putting money into a black hole. If you have that much to spare, send some to me because I am resolving the same problem.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
I think you are polishing a turd.
Ignore that. Stick with it. Maybe you will find something that helps. I really think you're gonna find that the AFM is restrictive. If there was another AFM that would fit and plug in and was less restrictive, then I think your other mods would help. But the AFM is near the beginning and affects the whole system.

Some of the old Supras used an AFM similar on the 7 series engines...I haven't found one yet. Maybe you can...
Old 07-05-2004, 07:47 AM

Here's a pic of a Supra 7MGTE motor out an 88 Supra that I was comtemplating swapping. Too bad I can't swap an older motor into my 93. The price was right and it had pretty low miles.

The AFM is in the lower center of the pic - kind of slanted at an angle on the back of the round air filter box.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
The AFM is in the lower center of the pic - kind of slanted at an angle on the back of the round air filter box.
That AFM is completely different than what I was thinking...although it still might be plug compatible. Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I sure would like to see a 7MGTE swap...In my mind it just seems like a looong engine for our engine bay. I sure love straight 6's though. When ya gonna get that one Mike?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
That AFM is completely different than what I was thinking...although it still might be plug compatible. Here's the one I was thinking of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I sure would like to see a 7MGTE swap...In my mind it just seems like a looong engine for our engine bay. I sure love straight 6's though. When ya gonna get that one Mike?
That's a bit pricey to just try and see if it will work. I need to comb the local yards here with a close up shot of my connector in hand to see if it will plug in.

I'll never be getting that motor. The 7M swap has been done by SuperRunner into a 2nd Gen.

Any swap in PA has to be for = or newer model motor. That means a 2J out of the latest Supra or SC300. Those are also pretty pricey due to the Supra's popularity. Others to consider is the 1UZE 4.0L V8 out of the LS400 or possibly a 3.0 Turbodiesel from across the pond.

If I had unlimited time (and money), the diesel would be my choice. Although, the notion of Camry heads and 3rd Gen Intake on the 3VZE (if workable without a hitch) has some promise.

Of course, then there's the issue with the 2nd Gen Auto Tranny I have (that I want to ditch in favor of a dual ultimate setup)... *sigh*... I saw a nice 3rd Gen today for sael at the local used car joint... hmmm.....
Old 07-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Any swap in PA has to be for = or newer model motor. That means a 2J out of the latest Supra or SC300. Those are also pretty pricey due to the Supra's popularity. Others to consider is the 1UZE 4.0L V8 out of the LS400 or possibly a 3.0 Turbodiesel from across the pond.

If I had unlimited time (and money), the diesel would be my choice. Although, the notion of Camry heads and 3rd Gen Intake on the 3VZE (if workable without a hitch) has some promise.

Of course, then there's the issue with the 2nd Gen Auto Tranny I have (that I want to ditch in favor of a dual ultimate setup)... *sigh*... I saw a nice 3rd Gen today for sael at the local used car joint... hmmm.....
I know, I know...Everytime I start thinking about how much money it would cost to either replace, rebuild or swap the 3vze, I remind myself that there are other platforms with more potential, fewer problems, etc.

Like an LC...
Old 07-05-2004, 02:11 PM

ive decided, what i have is what i have... its not a sports car but with some minor stuff.... i can tow a sportscar (mk 3 supra with 7mgte).

1k for supra with blown head gasket.
1k for headers and exhaust and chip for 4runner.
or
4k for swap?

sounds more fun to have a car that can handle the curves and the power and i have a reliable car to drive me to the track in (the 4runner) not to mention handle the snow at Penn State.

with that said, anyone have experience with downey and nwor headers? either of em really do anything?
Old 07-05-2004, 05:03 PM

I have downey headers on mine. The only thing I don't like and have not got around to fixing is the lack of a flange for the exhaust pipes to bolt to. The pipes are a slip fit onto the headers and they won't stay tight. just rattle. double clamp em and they last a month or so. Power wise they are good. One thing I have heard about the 3.0 is they loose reliability when hot rodded. don't know cause I just got bolt on goodies on mine.

and the gear issue, I got 5.29's with 33's and an auto. Like it, good power down low and easy on the highway.

mike
Old 07-05-2004, 06:20 PM

thanks... anyone with experience with the nwor headers? or i just saw that doug thorley makes em for the 3.0 as well.

Last edited by gtm130; 07-05-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: updates on my 3.notsoslow project