Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update

For those who know, this will make sense and I wanted to avoid a million duplicate PM's. For those who don't look elsewhere.

Starting week 7 of possession and 4 of work with no end in sight.

There is one code left but the feeling is a faulty ground may be causing a little stumble.

The exhaust leaks are mostly sealed, but that may be part of the code.

One adaptor is leaking, not sure if it is bad machining, wrong machining, or just dumb luck.

I won't be able to head back until the second weekend of July and it is looking unlikely it will come back this way much before then.

Apparently they have gotten busy with other work again.

Where else are you going to go?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-09-2004, 05:48 PM

that sucks man... lame
Old 06-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Apparently they have gotten busy with other work again.
That's nice customer service. First in first out is how it should be. They need to get it completed before moving on to other stuff. That is pathetic and unacceptable in any business. I don't care how great they think they are.

Apparently they also realize this, hence the crappy treatment.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Pain

I feel your pain man...I feel your pain...

Murphy's Law strikes again!

Hope you get the rig home soon and in tip top shape!

Old 06-10-2004, 10:00 AM

There appears to be only 3 weeks of work to do. Sadly, only two of those weeks were done before the deadline.

The job was booked in January and paid 3/4 at the same time.

The more I sniff around, the more rigs I find that came in and got out.

It is not so much that things have been slow because stuff has gone wrong, it is that no work was done for the first 2 weeks and then only a little was done for the next two.

Some accomodations have been made to get it done, but this is reaching the level of completely unacceptable. It went past mildly and moderately last week.

Some day.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

For those of us who don't know, could you please fill us in?
Old 06-10-2004, 02:41 PM

A complete thread will follow, people have just been asking.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:18 PM

With many pics of frustration and cursing undoubtedly....
Old 06-17-2004, 06:42 PM

Things are looking good for July 10th. That will be the longest I have been without the rig since I was 16. Life in the RAV4 is better than walking, but not that great.

That is if the last couple codes are cleared and it can be test driven for long enough to see if the second adaptor is leaking. Some how, there has been no time to work on it in the last week.

It has been raining, so work is slow here, hence the post.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

So how are you going to get it? Have it shipped, A one way ticket, take the bus?

Glad to hear it's getting done.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:25 PM

And finally, it runs strong. A dirty MAF was slowing the operation, but that has been resolved.

A check for the adaptor leak and reassembly, then she is back on the road.

Probably fly out and drive back somewhere in the July 10th neighborhood which would merit another trip out to supper for locals. Unfortunately, I would have to take a day of work which is pretty much a bummer since we have been losing at least part of a day every week due to rain.

Thanks to those who have been crossing fingers and helping this operation along.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Keeping the fingers crossed for you, can't wait to wheel with you in CO.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

What The F$ck? Stop it...what is the deal?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:52 PM

Things were looking good for the 10th.

Oops, got the call today that the OD is not talking well to the engine speed sensor. Guess there is some talking to do.

The adaptor is leaking through the metal and another just needed a new bead of silicone. Despite having the magic number 2000, it was not up to snuff.

Things are looking real good to have it by CO4RJ.

My boss offered to take one of the dumptrucks and have a shop field trip.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Just make sure you don't have to go BACK. Today more than likely I will remove my Marlin Crawler for the THIRD time since it was installed in Fresno by Marlins Boys.

Turns out I have had the stock tranny seal the entire time, Marlin send me a different one, but we changed it out on removal 2 and I know the stock one was the same as the one that came out, so either in the last year he has found a better seal or they forgot to swap it on Fresno.

Needless to say all the post-repairs I did myself, make sure they get it as good as possible so you can minimize your post-issues.

There will undoubtedly be some, but where else are you going to go?

Where else could I have gone?

Last edited by sschaefer3; 07-05-2004 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Just make sure you don't have to go BACK. Today more than likely I will remove my Marlin Crawler for the THIRD time since it was installed in Fresno by Marlins Boys.

Turns out I have had the stock tranny seal the entire time, Marlin send me a different one, but we changed it out on removal 2 and I know the stock one was the same as the one that came out, so either in the last year he has found a better seal or they forgot to swap it on Fresno.

Needless to say all the post-repairs I did myself, make sure they get it as good as possible so you can minimize your post-issues.

There will undoubtedly be some, but where else are you going to go?

Where else could I have gone?
You know there was a trail we hit this weekend, I was able to come down the hill, banging the entire way down. But three of the guys went back up it. There was no way I was going to. So I parked it and watched them do it. The first guy was a 1st gen that had a crawler, didn't do him a damn bit of good. It was all loose dirt, loose rocks with moss growing all over them. He struggled the entire way up. The second guy to go up was a Jeep with 36", and he made it up as well. Both the guys literally had to "bounce" the entire way up. The crawler didn't help him at all. The third guy had a buggy, and he just walked all the way up. I don't think that crawler will do me much good here on the east coast.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
You know there was a trail we hit this weekend, I was able to come down the hill, banging the entire way down. But three of the guys went back up it. There was no way I was going to. So I parked it and watched them do it. The first guy was a 1st gen that had a crawler, didn't do him a damn bit of good. It was all loose dirt, loose rocks with moss growing all over them. He struggled the entire way up. The second guy to go up was a Jeep with 36", and he made it up as well. Both the guys literally had to "bounce" the entire way up. The crawler didn't help him at all. The third guy had a buggy, and he just walked all the way up. I don't think that crawler will do me much good here on the east coast.

Sha-Zam: I can't make a call from a 2nd hand Internet story. There are way too many factors involved. If you want to determine your needs and "if" you need a crawler etc. you need to come out to Moab in the fall and wheel with the westerners. Jamaica has a bobsled team and the East Coast has some wheeling, but if you want the gravy train, and to see for yourself, come to the Promised Land and wheel. In a state, not a park.

Cheese: I spent the entire day pulling my 2 transfer cases, swapping the tranny seal and putting it all back. I know they forgot to swap the seal in Fresno. The seal we swapped in Jan was the same as the one that came out, the one Marlin sent is visibly completely different. So not only did I get a defective front adapter, they missed the tranny seal. Hopefully it will be fine now, 14 months later.

Where else are you going to go ???

Last edited by sschaefer3; 07-05-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Steve, did they send you one of the metal flanged one's? If so those are a PITA to get started correctly and easy to mess up. Hopefully you'll be able to join the leak free club now!

Last edited by BruceTS; 07-05-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Steve, did they send you one of the metal flanged one's? If so those are a PITA to get started correctly and easy to mess up. Hopefully you'll be able to join the leak free club now!
I think so, it had a metal ring and a rubber inner part. I got it started and tapped it in with my rubber mallet. Seemed to be fine.

The stock seal left a least a 1mm gap around the coupler. I'm not sure how I missed that one 3 times, but this time it was just me and I know I got it right. I used the gray stuff as well.

Quick Reply: Update