Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Unstoppable Stabalizer... Help!!

Old 08-20-2005, 04:31 PM
skm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Unstoppable Stabalizer... Help!!

I am desperately trying to remove my steering stabalizer from my 2nd gen 4runner. I have used the tech write-ups as guides and have the factory serv manuals. I have been able to remove the side that is attached to the frame, but I can not for the life of me remove the side thats connected to the steering rod. I have been able to remove the cotter pin and bolt, but thats it. I have tried using a pickle fork, and also used a tie rod puller. Its so bad that the tie rod puller bolt was literaly eating into the stabalizer bolt. I spent three hours trying to pry it from the rod, but I gave up. That sucker seems like its welded itself to the rod. Ive been even driving it around with no bolt, and it still wont budge. Does anyone have any ideas? Im so frustrated Im probably going to take it to the dealership on Tuesday and have them rip it out. Ive got a nice new OME stabalizer Im anxious to get in. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 PM

Truth be told, I had to cut mine off with a torch then cut the stud out of the hole (I didn't have a puller at the time). If I were you, I'd give it another go with the puller. This time crank on that puller with the intention of breaking it. That's how I got my lower ball joints off. I'd just crank until I was sure the puller would break, but it popped BJ's out.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

You gotta put some elbow grease behind it. I ripped mine off then proceeded to get the end out that was stuck. Don't worry about the old stabilizer because it is junk anyways. You could try heating it up with a little propane torch or if you have a nice big torch...torch away
Old 08-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut mine off with a Saws all.. than whacked the bolt out.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
skm

With using the pickle fork, how much pressure can I safely apply? When I was using it before, I was pulling so hard it was bending the steering rod. I didn't want to pull any harder for fear that I might bend something too far. Thanks for all your replies!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had to cut the bolt off and drill it out to remove it on a couple of old 4Runners. There's not enough room to get a good hammer on it to knock it out so I had to cut it off with a sawzall and then drill it out.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
I've had to cut the bolt off and drill it out to remove it on a couple of old 4Runners. There's not enough room to get a good hammer on it to knock it out so I had to cut it off with a sawzall and then drill it out.
That's exactly what I would do! After I tried hosing it with some "Rust Bust" or something and letting it sit for awhile to give it time to work.

p.s. Does'nt hurt to try.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Tapered Joints like tie rod ends. Use the fork to apply pressure to the joint and while @ the same time take a hammer hit the outside of the joint the bolt goes thru this compresses the hole ever so slightly and usually pops the tapered joint right out(There may be a small tit on the outside of the joint that is where you need to hit it with the hammer). Just need big hammer and beat the $%^$^ out of it! Thats the cheapest and easiest way to seperate tie rods ends as well!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

heat, pickle fork, puller and a bfh liberally applied should do the job. oh, i forgot, LOTS of sweat!!

this is the time to be taking out all your frustrations! go to town on it!!

lee
Old 08-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The "blue wrench" has always worked for me:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ringStabilizer
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 AM

I'm going thru this problem right now on my '94.

We've hacksawed the old stabalizer off and tried drilled out the bolt as much as we could. The bit we had only went so far... so, i'm either going to get a new bit tomorrow or take it down to the fabrication place and see if they can use the plasma cutter on it.