Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Unsolved Vibration at Specific Speeds...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unsolved Vibration at Specific Speeds...Help!

Okay 4Runner freinds -- I have a vibration that begins at about 40mph, peaks to an all over shake, mostly in my seat at 50 mph, and ends at around 60mph. I have owned the truck for about six months, and I do not know what the truck has been exposed to previously. However, the truck is in excellent overall condition.

I have been to one of the best wheel and tire shops in Atlanta -- Grand Turismo. They said the the Michelin tires are in good shape and balanced.

I have been to one of the best Toyota Only Shops in Atlanta -- Toyo Techs. So far they have replaced the Universal Joints and balanced the rear drive shaft.They also checked the wheel bearings and front drive shaft.They are suggesting that the vibration may be coming from the rear end, however, I do not hear anything coming from this area even when I sit in the back with someone else driving.

I need serious help because the vibration drives me crazy on the highway, and I need to drive this vehicle on a long trip in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful. What should I look at next?

Thanks - Joe
Old 05-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Year/mileage?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:32 AM

The truck is a 1993 4 wheel drive with 115,000.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Have you loaned the truck to anyone?

Do you tow?

Was this a gradual problem or did it suddenly "appear?"
Old 05-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mypillory
Okay 4Runner freinds -- I have a vibration that begins at about 40mph, peaks to an all over shake, mostly in my seat at 50 mph, and ends at around 60mph. I have owned the truck for about six months, and I do not know what the truck has been exposed to previously. However, the truck is in excellent overall condition.

I have been to one of the best wheel and tire shops in Atlanta -- Grand Turismo. They said the the Michelin tires are in good shape and balanced.

I have been to one of the best Toyota Only Shops in Atlanta -- Toyo Techs. So far they have replaced the Universal Joints and balanced the rear drive shaft.They also checked the wheel bearings and front drive shaft.They are suggesting that the vibration may be coming from the rear end, however, I do not hear anything coming from this area even when I sit in the back with someone else driving.

I need serious help because the vibration drives me crazy on the highway, and I need to drive this vehicle on a long trip in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful. What should I look at next?

Thanks - Joe
I have the very same problem...but, mine is at 68-78 mph
look at your wheels and make sure you did not throw a wheel weight...I have one gone and I feel this might be my problem.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mypillory

Thanks - Joe
Is the truck lifted?

There are two potentials though the mileage seems low for these issues.

One is the transfr case output bearing needs to be tightened. Two, the pinion bearing is getting sloppy. I have had both problems on my truck at different times and each time it fixed the vibe. 4crawler.com I believe has a write up on adjusting the t-case, it's pretty easy. If there is even just a little, and I mean like you *think* you might feel it slop on the pinion, it will need to be torqued at a diff shop that can reset the backlash and determine that the gear pattern is still correct.

I went with a CV aftermarket custom shaft in my quest to quell the vibes and in the end, while my driveline angle was steep for stock joints, it was the diff(I had the same shop to the diff after the drive shaft to regear and fixed the vibe by accident) Even the guys at the shop were surprised because they thought they felt a little slop but so little they couldn't tell for sure. Years later, it was the T-case.

Frank

Last edited by elripster; 05-20-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:07 AM

The truck always had the vibration, I have not loaned it to anyone, and it is not lifted. Keep the suggestions coming! They will help me a great deal when I bring my 4Runner in for service next week.
Thanks-Joe