Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Type of Coil Compressor??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Type of Coil Compressor??

I am going to install new front and rear coils on my 99 runner and am wondering if anybody can recommend a good type/brand of coil compressor. I don't have one now but am going to buy one for this install and future suspension work. Thanks!!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just about any external compressor should work. I prefer ones with a single hook top and bottom, the ones with the dual hooks tend to not fit the spring properly.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:54 PM

Well...

Well I don't have any reccomendations but I do have a few points to make. First, you need EXTERNAL compressors -- make sure of that. Auto Zone rents them for free (you get your $40 security deposit back when you return them), so you could save yourself the cash. Also, when I tried to do the fronts I only got one result: frustration. All I needed was 2 more inches, but one of the spring compressors (I used 2) would hit the control arm. Tried it every which way I could. If I did it again I would just disassmble the contol arm and slip it right in. That's what the shop I took it to did, and it's not too tough. Makes compressing the springs easier too b/c you don't have the upper control arm in the way. You could use the Auto Zone compressors for that too. Just my $.02.

Zach
Old 05-18-2003, 08:00 PM

Re: Well...

Originally posted by White SR5
Well I don't have any reccomendations but I do have a few points to make. First, you need EXTERNAL compressors -- make sure of that. Auto Zone rents them for free (you get your $40 security deposit back when you return them), so you could save yourself the cash. Also, when I tried to do the fronts I only got one result: frustration. All I needed was 2 more inches, but one of the spring compressors (I used 2) would hit the control arm. Tried it every which way I could. If I did it again I would just disassmble the contol arm and slip it right in. That's what the shop I took it to did, and it's not too tough. Makes compressing the springs easier too b/c you don't have the upper control arm in the way. You could use the Auto Zone compressors for that too. Just my $.02.

Zach
What in the holy (*&(* you talking about son??? You need to REMOVE the strut assembly before taking springs out!!!Unless your talking about the assembly itself, which is kind of tough the first, time, but no biggie. I did it myself once, with regular spring compressor (which I own), but what a PITA!!! I just bought new struts/shocks all around and this time I took the fronts to a place that had a wall mounted compressor, which bearly was able to do it,but it did. Much easier.:pat:

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

The garage where we did my OME's bought a hydraulic compressor. You pumped it, instead of trying to crank it with a wrench. Its definitely more heavy-duty than the ones you rent. I can try to get the brand/model for you tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
What in the holy (*&(* you talking about son??? You need to REMOVE the strut assembly before taking springs out!!!Unless your talking about the assembly itself, which is kind of tough the first, time, but no biggie. I did it myself once, with regular spring compressor (which I own), but what a PITA!!! I just bought new struts/shocks all around and this time I took the fronts to a place that had a wall mounted compressor, which bearly was able to do it,but it did. Much easier.:pat:

Good luck!
Yes, I removed the strut assembly and was trying to put the OME strut/spring assembly in, but the spring compressors wouldn't allow me to secure the lower shock mount; all I needed was about 2 more inches though. If I used one spring compressor the coil spring curved in one direction. If I used both one would be in the way no matter how I did it. I took my fronts to a shop too to do it, and the mechanic told me he disassembled the control arm to put the assembly in.

Zach
Old 05-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Ah ha.. so you drove to the mechanic in your 4Runner. Most people probably take them off and drive in another car..
Old 05-21-2003, 07:32 PM

Well

After getting frustrated with trying to install the OME's, I re-installed the Toyota strut/spring assembly. The Toyota spings are shorter so that was no problem. Then I had someone follow me to the shop and had them take me back to pick it up when it was all done. I wouldn't drive without the struts/springs installed.

Zach

Last edited by White SR5; 05-21-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, you guys are using the bottle jack to push the a-arms down, aren't you? See SteveS writeup. http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/front.html

Mertzr and I can switch out the front shock assemblies in about an hour with just hand tools, a floor jack, the bottle jack and jackstands.

Steve
Old 05-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Well

I wouldn't drive without the struts/springs installed.

Zach
I figured that

you guys are using the bottle jack to push the a-arms down, aren't you?
But, that's just to get the assembly out though.. not compressing the springs... right?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Well

Originally posted by va97runner
But, that's just to get the assembly out though.. not compressing the springs... right?
Right.

From what WhiteSR5 is saying, it sounds like he couldn't get the whole assembly back into the a-arms. He says had trouble getting the lower shock mount in. Also, he had to disassemble the control arm to install the assembly.

Steve
Old 05-22-2003, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Uh, you guys are using the bottle jack to push the a-arms down, aren't you? See SteveS writeup. http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/front.html

Mertzr and I can switch out the front shock assemblies in about an hour with just hand tools, a floor jack, the bottle jack and jackstands.

Steve
You think it takes us a whole hour? I was thinking more like 30-40 minutes.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150

Steve
Yes, I used the bottle jack to push down on the a-arm, but all I ended up doing was bending the wheel well! Well, actually that's not all. I was able to get the Toyota strut/spring assembly in and out, just not the OME one. Teach me how to do it in 30 mnutes! I don't wanna take it back to install spacers!
:cry: :beaver:

Zach
Old 05-22-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I used the bottle jack to push down on the a-arm, but all I ended up doing was bending the wheel well! Well, actually that's not all. I was able to get the Toyota strut/spring assembly in and out, just not the OME one. Teach me how to do it in 30 mnutes! I don't wanna take it back to install spacers!
:cry: :beaver:

Zach
Yeah, I guess 30 minutes would be a bit of a stretch...

Spacers, huh? That might take a little more effort. We didn't have much trouble installing the 882 coils on mine, and they are about 1/2 - 1" taller than the 881's. So 881's with a spacer shouldn't be too bad, I guess depending on how big of a spacer you're going to use.

With the bottle jack: you may have tried it this way, but if not...it helps to use a block of wood in between the bottle jack and the fender. You'll still get some flex in the wheel well, but at least you're distributing the pressure this way and its not a permanent bend.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:37 AM

I'm a dope

I'm a dope... after reading through Steve's enlightening write-up, I found my error. I read another write-up before and it wasn't as clear (plus it didn't have pictures). I un-did the shock/spring mount (shock bushing, top plate, and rubber bushing) while it was still attached to the mount on the car. I was trying to compress the spring when re-installing the OME assembly... No wonder I had such a hard time... I guess the spacers won't be so much of a problem then after all! Thanks for the tips though guys.

Zach
Old 05-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: I'm a dope

I'm a dope... after reading through Steve's enlightening write-up, I found my error. I read another write-up before and it wasn't as clear (plus it didn't have pictures). I un-did the shock/spring mount (shock bushing, top plate, and rubber bushing) while it was still attached to the mount on the car. I was trying to compress the spring when re-installing the OME assembly... No wonder I had such a hard time... I guess the spacers won't be so much of a problem then after all! Thanks for the tips though guys.

Zach

He's seen the light!!! Just kidding Zach. Man, you really undid the top plate while the spring was under pressure? Glad you didn't get hurt!