Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Two Questions for 3rd gen owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Questions for 3rd gen owners

Sup guys,

I got two questions for you. Hope you can answer them cause its killing me.

1. When I accelerate,press on the gas pedal, I hear a single click comming from the passenger side under the glove box area. When I let go of the gas pedal, I hear the same single click, just not as loud. What is that clicking??

2. When I coast in 4 wheel drive and then step on the gas pedal, there is a very noticeable cluck or thump from under the rig. Whats the deal with that? Its not the clunk or thump that happens due to an unlubed driveshaft. My driveshaft is properly lubed. Is this normal?

Please help me out. Thanks in advanced
Old 02-26-2003, 06:35 PM

I do not have any clicks or clunks from my truck, although mine is not 4wd. Could the click in glove box area be a cable or something shifting around?

And could the clunk under the rig be a u-joint?

Mike

PS- what about something simple like the passenger seat not quite.. well... seated?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:43 PM

clickin

if its a clickin i think u have a piece of metal that is moving when the engine shifts(not gears but position) my guess if u are not experiencing performance problems...is that somethink in the engine is simply out of place and needs to be reattached...or there is something in the wheelwell from allthis now an grime tat is jumping around
Old 02-26-2003, 07:10 PM

The answer to your 2nd question might be that you are experiencing binding in the transfer case. Is it the same clunk you get if you make a hard turn while in 4WD?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

I hear that same "click" when I press the brake. I have a 97 SR5, but I can't help you with the 4wd qestion because, well, my truck doesn't have it. I wouldn't worrk about the click, it's probably an electrical thing that only you hear.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:58 AM

There is Nothing in the glove box. The click is something electrical I believe. Like something is turned on then back off. Only problem is what is it? Next time you guys drive, turn off your radio and listen. Hear anything? I dont get the cluck or thump when I turn. If i ease the gas, then I dont get the cluck or thump, but when I "get on" the gas, then I get the cluck/thump.

Last edited by vtruong1; 02-27-2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:38 AM

The clicking under the glove box is probably some kind of electrical relay. I would'ny worry about it. The clucking is most likely a direct result of you "getting on it" in 4WD. Keep in mind 4WD is not designed to go fast, but rather to crawl. When you mash the gas there's alot of gears comming together. Do yourself a favor before you have a problem, don't "get on it" in 4wd.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:56 AM

i dont get on it hard. its in 4hi on the hwy at about 45-50. but i guess you are right about all the gears though. as far as the clicking, has to be something electrical, but what kind of relay is related to acceleration that is located in that area of the console/glovebox
Old 02-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by tpg013
The clicking under the glove box is probably some kind of electrical relay. I would'ny worry about it. The clucking is most likely a direct result of you "getting on it" in 4WD. Keep in mind 4WD is not designed to go fast, but rather to crawl. When you mash the gas there's alot of gears comming together. Do yourself a favor before you have a problem, don't "get on it" in 4wd.
tpg013:
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. When I off-roaded my 98LTD, I drove it hard and fast (but, never above 60 as instructed). I would also engage 4WD on wet pavement when I needed to launch on someone at a stoplight. With hundreds of full-throttle launches off-road and on wet pavement, I can safely say my 4WD never missed a beat, and never had a problem. No where does it say "go easy on your truck in 4WD."

Heck, I remember commercials of them jumping a Tacoma and doing what appeared to be at least 60MPH on a desert road somewhere (maybe they were filming me )

4WD Low, now that's a different story. I would take it easy in 4LO, but I can also safely say I had no problems when putting the pedal to the metal in 4LO for a second or two.

vtruong:

I think we should return to the original questions:

1. There is a clicking sound that I experienced on the passenger side of my 98, but I could only hear it when I did the ISR mod. And I only heard it under acceleration like you described. Its nothing to be worried about unless its pinging, but I am sure you can identify that if you can hear this.

2. I got a "clunk" in my 98 when the 4WD would engage/disengage. I had the push button 4WD because I had the Limited. I dont think there should be a clunk when you coast and then step on the gas again. I never had that happen. A clunk under your described conditions could indicate a couple things:

1. Too much slack in the transfer case or driveshaft
2. A loose crossmember or support attached to the transfer case

I personally would get under there and have a look around. Look for things that are out of the ordinary. If you dont see anything, you may want to ride in another vehicle very similar to yours and listen to it, or have yours checked. You could always go to the dealer and take one out for a test drive, but that may not be worth the harassment you get from the salesman.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:05 AM

Could it be a relay of some sort making that ckicking sound near the glove compartment???? Just food for thought.