Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

turn siganl frozen w/ lights on

Old 02-19-2005, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn siganl frozen w/ lights on

Hey, everyone I am new to the site and am really glad that I found it. I haven't had my 92 toyota pickup that long and really like it alot. I have one problem with it though. My left turn signal stays light up when I have the lights on. If I dont have the lights on it works fine. I got out and checked and all the lights for the turn signals seem to be working. If anyone can give me any help as to what it might be it would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering if you do know what the problem is is it hard to fix? Again thanx for any help in advance.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:58 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
You have a short between the "light" circuit (you didn't elaborate, so I'll assume you meant the running lights) and the left turn signal. Take the turn signal and running light bulbs out (I can't recall if the '92 has separate turn siganl/running light bulbs or not), visually check the bulb base and check the turn signal circuit with a volt meter. I've seen where the bulb base itself was the culprit. If not, you'll have to trace the wiring to see where the left turn circuit is getting power from the "light" circuit. Yep, could be a real PITA.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your left stays on when you turn on lights, is it all the left turn bulbs or just the dash indicator?

Do the park lights flash when you use the left turn? (the opposite of your complaint....if there is a "short" it should go both ways)

Does it have a trailer towing plug on it? (used to find lots of moused up stuff there when I was working at an auto electric shop)
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Thank you for replying back so soon. The turn signal on the dash stays frozen along with the lights on the outside, this is the case when i have the running lights on and when all the lights are on ( headlights). Yes all the lights stay on. I checked all the lights on the left side and the seem to all work. I do have a trailer hitch, but not sure how that would effect anything. I got a repair manual and it is pretty bad at explaining stuff. I was wondering if it could be the turn signal relay switch? If it is the book doesnt say how to take it out or exactlly where it is (no diagram just says betwwen the radio and heater). I got my dash apart right now and I disconnected which looks to be the relay switch but the turn signals still work the same way (left side frozen and right side works fine). If it is the hitch what would need to be done? Again thanx for any help you can give.

Last edited by not2shabby; 02-19-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 AM

How is your trailer hitch wired in? Soldered or that quick connector set up that just cuts into the existing wires? If it is with a quick connector set up take all that off, and check to see if the lights work. Lets us know
Good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:04 PM

i checked everything that i could and I couldnt figure it out, even the trailer hitch and everything looks fine with it( it is the kind with the plastic quick connect). I have put everything back together and plan on taking it to a auto electric place some time soon ( i got tired of it).

Last edited by not2shabby; 02-20-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:26 PM

replace your dual filament bulbs I bet one of the filaments broke and is shorting out on the other one.