Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turn off ABS on a 96. NOT the "andy mod" for VSC or trac.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn off ABS on a 96. NOT the "andy mod" for VSC or trac.

On my 96, i have abs, but a 96 Runner does not VSC. When I lock the rear diff, the ABS light comes on because the ABS is dissabled. Is there a write up for modding a switch so I can dissable the ABS like locking it does without having to lock it in? All my searching brings up the "Andy mod", but that mod does not apply to a 96.

I know I can wire in a switch to cut the ABS fuse circuit, but then I have to restart the truck to get it back. There has to be a way to duplicate what locking it in does to dissable and re-enable it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM

I know this could be done. It might get a little involved though. I was looking at page SA-149 from your FSM and the wiring diagram for the 4WD ecu as it relates to the Diff lock is there.

I would start with the grey wire mod (if you haven't already done so) - that will maybe be useful on its own and be less chance of interfering with the ABS off mod. Search the grey wire mod - it is basically grounding terminal 8 of the ECU so you can engage the locker without being in L4.

After that's done, a good candidate looks like grounding the signal from the switch on the diff through a toggle. (Pin 1 on the diagram). It should do two things, light up your DIFF LOCK light, and turn off ABS.

Just my guess at things. Check out the more complex mod I figured out for the new and improved AndyMod - it took a bunch of testing. If you are electrical savy you should be OK, but you can fry an ECU if you mess something up.

Good luck, if you get started on it, keep your progress posted up here.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have an elocker but I hated my ABS so I just pulled the fuse. Much better off road and in snow now. I don't miss it at all. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's an option.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2sun
I don't have an elocker but I hated my ABS so I just pulled the fuse. Much better off road and in snow now. I don't miss it at all. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's an option.
X2! no ABS for a few years now and VERY happy
Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Not an ABS fan myself. On my last car it went out and took the traction control with it when a wheel speed sensor crapped out. Easy as pulling the fuse, eh?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Ruckus
Easy as pulling the fuse, eh?
Yes, but I had to remove the fuse block 1st because the fuse must be unscrewed from underneath. Still only took <10 minutes.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Ned

Originally Posted by Beto
I know this could be done. It might get a little involved though. I was looking at page SA-149 from your FSM and the wiring diagram for the 4WD ecu as it relates to the Diff lock is there.

I would start with the grey wire mod (if you haven't already done so) - that will maybe be useful on its own and be less chance of interfering with the ABS off mod. Search the grey wire mod - it is basically grounding terminal 8 of the ECU so you can engage the locker without being in L4.

After that's done, a good candidate looks like grounding the signal from the switch on the diff through a toggle. (Pin 1 on the diagram). It should do two things, light up your DIFF LOCK light, and turn off ABS.

Just my guess at things. Check out the more complex mod I figured out for the new and improved AndyMod - it took a bunch of testing. If you are electrical savy you should be OK, but you can fry an ECU if you mess something up.

Good luck, if you get started on it, keep your progress posted up here.

Yeah, I've done the "grey wire" mod, or in reality, the "blue/red wire mod" and I love it. Just thinking about it, I was thinking something similar to what you said, find out what wire from the diff button or the control box tells the ABS to turn off and tap into it. but I wasn't sure if it would be a matter of grounding it or jumping it to another etc...

I'll probably full the fuse for now, but I still want a switch. I am good with wireing and all that, I just need access to my wireing diagram.

Last edited by Ned; 12-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Ned

I had a thought... What if you tapped into the signal wire from the wheel sensors where it goes into the abs control box? Pretty much just breaking the signal when you want the abs off? Is this feasible?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 AM

Breaking the wheel sensor signal will work. I think it would take some time though, the ABS computer tries to read the signal a few times before it trips the code...the other downside, you need to reset it by cycling the key off-on. You'd be better off cutting the power at the fuse..

The links to the FSM's were here somewhere, I have a PDF of yours, and mine, but I can't find the links now. Anyone remember where these are? If I find it I'll post it here. Did you find your wiring diagram yet?

Last edited by Beto; 12-13-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:13 AM

good thread. if i hit a tiny bump and brake it hear clickclickclickkkkkkk stupid abs.. gona try takin the fuse out later. than ks
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to have a switch on the very rare occasion that I actually want the ABS on, can't think of when that would be but it would be nice to have a switch. I don't know much about messing with electronics etc. At first I was thinking of tapping into the hot wire going to the ABS fuse and having a switch to turn it off. The fuse is rated at 60 Amps or something and I could not find a small switch that could handle that kind of current, and I didn't really want that coming into the cab for fear I would burn my 4runner to the ground. Anyone with knowledge of wiring and electricity know of a good and safe way to interrupt the current flow from the ABS fuse and run it to a switch on the inside? Would hooking it up to some kind of relay system do the trick without allowing all that current going into the cab and to a smaller switch that would not be able to take that amount of power? Just thinking out loud here. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Ned

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
I would like to have a switch on the very rare occasion that I actually want the ABS on, can't think of when that would be but it would be nice to have a switch. I don't know much about messing with electronics etc. At first I was thinking of tapping into the hot wire going to the ABS fuse and having a switch to turn it off. The fuse is rated at 60 Amps or something and I could not find a small switch that could handle that kind of current, and I didn't really want that coming into the cab for fear I would burn my 4runner to the ground. Anyone with knowledge of wiring and electricity know of a good and safe way to interrupt the current flow from the ABS fuse and run it to a switch on the inside? Would hooking it up to some kind of relay system do the trick without allowing all that current going into the cab and to a smaller switch that would not be able to take that amount of power? Just thinking out loud here. Thanks for the input.
you could use a relay switch under the hood. It would use a 10 amp wire from a toggle in the cab to the relay. that way the ABS wire is only cut and run through the relay switch.