Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turboxs KnockLite giving false warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Turboxs KnockLite giving false warnings?

Is anyone else using one of these besides me?
http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212

I'm about ready to throw it away.

I got this installed and tried it out. It is connected to one of ECU knock sensor wires (I used the gray #2 wire just because it was easier for me to get to than the black #1 wire) and the ECU RPM signal.

There is some setup to do with it, first you calabrate it to your engine noise by holding the rpms at idle, mid redline and near redline and pushing the button at each point. Once that is set, the sensitivity level can be set from 1-10 with 10 being the lowest sensitivity (Kind of wierd that 10 is the lowest )

First thing I noticed is the light comes on a lot, even though I'm not hearing any audible knocking. But it does seem to light up in the areas that pinging would normally be a problem, like low RPMs around 0 boost and under WOT. (And yes I'm running premium gas).

So, I set the sensitivity level to the lowest possible and I test drove it. That caused the light to stay off a little more, but it still shows quite an alarming amount of pinging. So I guess (if I can believe this thing), I must have a lot of knocking I need to tune out.

Now after a lot of tuning the knock light is still going off a lot but I do NOT actually hear any pinging.

I have adjusted my FTC timing map to 6 degrees of retard in the worst areas of the map with little or no effect on the knockLite. Attempts to retard more than 6 degrees in any cells of the map causes the ECU to throw blinking CELs for misfires.

I'm going to try 2 more tests to see if the knock light is just giving me false knock warnings or if in fact I do have some knocking. One using higher octane gas (currently I'm using 91 octane) and one using less boost (currently running a 2.1 pulley for a max 10 psi of boost)

Yesterday I added 4 gals 101 octane gas (we have a local Shell station that pumps it for $6.25/gal ouch) to a 1/4 tank of 91 octane. That made for a little less than a 50-50 mix of 101 with 91 or I would estimate roughly 95 octane. After driving around for a while the rest of the day I saw no change, the knock light is still blinking at me a lot.

Next test I'll put the stock SC pulley back on and try that with the 95 octane mix currently in the tank, I'd hate to buy anymore $6+/gal gas thank you very much.

If that combo still lights up the knockLite do you think I can safely say it’s showing false knock warnings?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have often heard the term phantom knock on engineson a turbo car. I'm guessing on a supercharged engine it would be similar. Although the article below is about a Mitsubishi, 4G63 engine it will explain about phantom knock.

http://users.wpi.edu/~ktarry/dsmtech/phantomknock.html

From what you're saying the light sounds like it's reading knock at low to 0 RPMs where it will have little to no affect on performance. If that's the case just toss it in the garbage!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spdjnky
I have often heard the term phantom knock on engineson a turbo car. I'm guessing on a supercharged engine it would be similar. Although the article below is about a Mitsubishi, 4G63 engine it will explain about phantom knock.

http://users.wpi.edu/~ktarry/dsmtech/phantomknock.html
That's interesting, thanks.

From what you're saying the light sounds like it's reading knock at low to 0 RPMs where it will have little to no affect on performance...
Some at low rpms and medium or more load but maybe just starting to hit the boosted area, but also a lot more at WOT (high rpms and high boost).
Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 AM

If you haven't already try replacing the knock sensor. Sometimes a bad one can give false readings.

On the link you gave it says the following..."The KnockLite system connects to a broadband frequency knock sensor such as a Bosch knock sensor, but it can also be connected to a suitable factory sensor. It is very important to carefully position the knock sensor on the engine as you are trying to detect the ringing of the cylinder and so this has a major effect on the performance of any knock detection system. The actual mounting of the knock sensor and the torque setting of the mounting bolt is important as well to provide the best contact for the knock sensor."

I know some people use teflon tape around the sensor so it will "cushion" it so the knocklight or SAFC<-- what some turbo guys use to tune, doesn't mistake it for engine noise.

Try taking the knock sensor out and see if it still reads knock?
Does it read knock if you free rev, in neutral?

Trying to remember some things on knock but it's been a while.

Last edited by spdjnky; 01-10-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

If you haven't already try replacing the knock sensor. Sometimes a bad one can give false readings.
I hadn't thought of that, wouldn't that also throw a CEL though? I guess I could try connecting to the other knock sensor. There are two on the 5VZFE.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-10-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM

I don't think so but I can't say 100%.