Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turbocharged 2.7 liter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharged 2.7 liter

Anyone ever turbocharge their 2.7 liter EFI Tacoma engine? Anyone know of a kit to do this? I am thinking about building a dune/sand buggy and I think this would be a pretty cool powerplant. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2004, 04:30 PM

I don't know if they are 2.7 liter, but they used to have the 22re-t, which was a turbo charged 22re engine. They are pretty hard to find, but there was a guy selling 2 of them on this board like last week, do a quick and you should find it.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
I don't know if they are 2.7 liter, but they used to have the 22re-t,
They sure did. You really could turbo any engine with the right tools and $$. You can buy all generic parts and make sure the boost doesn't exceed 6psi or so, and you should be good to go. Personally, I would just get the Alpine SC kit for the 2.7, but I hear some guys have been getting zero gains from that kit.

Hey, if you have the $$, go for it!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Not a Tacoma, but here's my turbo'ed 2.7L in my 98 4Runner. It's a custom kit that I pieced together and total cost was around $3500. If you want to get a kit, EL Prototypes and LC Engineering both make kits for the 2.7L, but I don't think either kit is intercooled.

Excuse the dirty engine, haven't cleaned up since the install

Old 01-24-2004, 07:52 PM

Thats SWEEEET! How well does it run??
Old 01-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice lookin turbo setup!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:32 PM

Alpine has a supercharger for the 2.7L

http://www.alpine-developments.us/id1.html

I'm trying to scrape up some cash for it. they told me a price of $2900 for the complet kit.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:28 AM

Okay, I'm interested in that turbo setup...

What turbo are you running? Looks like it could be a T3/T4? Intercooled? How much boost are you running? 5th injector or stand-alone or just a S-AFC type deal? Did you do any work on the internals? Have any dyno numbers at all? Stock MAF? Where'd you get the manifold? That's a very clean looking install, the turbo is hardly even charred.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:36 AM

you call that engine dirty? you should see mine. it really needs a cleaning.

nice looking turbo install.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by 96redracer
Alpine has a supercharger for the 2.7L

http://www.alpine-developments.us/id1.html

I'm trying to scrape up some cash for it. they told me a price of $2900 for the complet kit.
That place is a joke in my opinion. They have the worst customer service Ive ever seen. (I hope they read this) They wont return emails and or provide product information. What I did get from them is that they only offer one kit now. The low boost/small blower setup (trd version). From what Ive read from guys that have them your lucky to gain 40 hp. Ha Ha what a joke. They are not gonna get my $2900 bucks.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:53 PM

cruizin01

they did not give me much info too.
I was kinda hoping some people would give some imput on them. Thanks for the heads up.

do you know of anyother companies offering a supercharger for the 2.7? Or is there anybody with a good turbo kit?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:01 PM

Hey red..as far as I know thats the only s/c available other than complete custom jobs. Following what tangk said EL and LC are the only companies I know of that offer turbo setups. If your looking for a turbo setup there are a bunch of guys on CustomTacos that have custom turbo'd there 2.4's which are basically the same as the 2.7's (I think). Do a search over there for some info.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:14 PM

Cruizin

Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2004, 06:51 PM

What turbo are you running? Looks like it could be a T3/T4? Intercooled? How much boost are you running? 5th injector or stand-alone or just a S-AFC type deal? Did you do any work on the internals? Have any dyno numbers at all? Stock MAF? Where'd you get the manifold? That's a very clean looking install, the turbo is hardly even charred.
I'm gonna hijack this thread for a second if rkwfxd doesn't mind

The turbo specs are:
- Garrett T3/T04E .48 A/R turbine, .60 A/R compressor, 50 trim, stage 3 wheel
- Spearco 15x12x3 bar & plate style intercooler
- Tial 38MM wastegate with a 7.5 lb spring
- Blitz SS BOV
- Vortech 6:1 FMU currently. Waiting on a set of RC 550cc injectors.
- Greddy E-Manage

Nothing's been done to the internals (yet ). and all airflow, fuel, timing, etc are handled by the Greddy Emanage. The current dyno result is 210 rwhp @ 7lbs on a Mustang dyno. Once I get the injectors in we'll retune and get new numbers. Running on the stock MAF, and the manifold was custom made by South Florida Performance. I polished the compressor housing so that's why it looks so nice

Lag isn't bad at all, I start spooling around 2K and get full boost by 3500. I previously had a .63 A/R turbine and boost started around 2500 and full was reached at 4500. The .48 is much nicer for everyday driving.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:29 PM

Wow. That's a nice turbo trangk. Sano install.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:13 PM

THey make an e-manage for 2.7Ls??? I thought e-manage was application specific?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:35 PM

I just recieved an email from Alpine (they must have read my previous post) here some new info on whats available. Still seems over priced especially since they dont offer any tested performance results. Anyway here it is

Derek,

Thanks for your previous enquiries about out Toyota kits.
Currently we are offering two kits for your 1998 2,7 Tacoma.

TOYOTA CLUB KIT (pre-2000)
This kit was developed by Alpine Developments for the Tacoma Club.
It uses the larger M90 blower, an 8 port intake manifold,and includes electronics (Unichip).
This kit includes a stainless steel head spacer for decompression. This is,however,
optional,as we do send you two different size pulleys in the kit, the larger not requiring decompression.

TRD TACOMA 2.7 KIT (pre-2000)
This kit was developed specifically for TRD, who orginally sold this kit exclusively. TRD speced the newer
MP62 blower. The kit still uses an 8 port intake manifold,and includes the Unichip.
This kit does not require decompression.

The differences between the M90 and the MP62 blowers are; firstly, the size of the blower,
and secondly,the re-circulating/by-pass vavle location. The newer MP-series has the valve built-in to the blower
inlet passage, as opposed to being located between the intake manifold and blower.

Performance-wise, you would get a little more power from the M90 kit.
Value-wise,the M90 kit would give you your best "horsepower/dollar", as we can offer you sale price on
that kit of $2650.
The MP62 is avaliable at a best of $2850.

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested in the M90 kit, as supply is VERY LIMITED, and the offer is on a
"first come, first served".

Regards,
Alistair Miller
Tel. 714-379 8066
Old 01-26-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
THey make an e-manage for 2.7Ls??? I thought e-manage was application specific?
The Greddy Emanage is a universal piggyback like the SAFC, just with more features (like timing control).
Old 01-26-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by cruizin01
I just recieved an email from Alpine (they must have read my previous post) here some new info on whats available. Still seems over priced especially since they dont offer any tested performance results. Anyway here it is

Derek,

Thanks for your previous enquiries about out Toyota kits.
Currently we are offering two kits for your 1998 2,7 Tacoma.

TOYOTA CLUB KIT (pre-2000)
This kit was developed by Alpine Developments for the Tacoma Club.
It uses the larger M90 blower, an 8 port intake manifold,and includes electronics (Unichip).
This kit includes a stainless steel head spacer for decompression. This is,however,
optional,as we do send you two different size pulleys in the kit, the larger not requiring decompression.

TRD TACOMA 2.7 KIT (pre-2000)
This kit was developed specifically for TRD, who orginally sold this kit exclusively. TRD speced the newer
MP62 blower. The kit still uses an 8 port intake manifold,and includes the Unichip.
This kit does not require decompression.

The differences between the M90 and the MP62 blowers are; firstly, the size of the blower,
and secondly,the re-circulating/by-pass vavle location. The newer MP-series has the valve built-in to the blower
inlet passage, as opposed to being located between the intake manifold and blower.

Performance-wise, you would get a little more power from the M90 kit.
Value-wise,the M90 kit would give you your best "horsepower/dollar", as we can offer you sale price on
that kit of $2650.
The MP62 is avaliable at a best of $2850.

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested in the M90 kit, as supply is VERY LIMITED, and the offer is on a
"first come, first served".

Regards,
Alistair Miller
Tel. 714-379 8066
derekk, thats some good info. I have too been trying to get information from them with out any luck. I was wondering, do you know anything about the C.A.R.B. certification for these units?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:44 AM

Hey Nolan I believe they are but Im not positive. It would seem to me that the trd ones are, so I dont c why the same unit only through alpine directly would not be. I would still like to know how much exactly a "little" more plower is when they are talking about the m90 blower Seems to me like theyd sell alot more kits if they did atleast ONE dyno with it

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 2.7 liter