Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turbo 4runner start up, almost done

Old 10-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
You know you just brought back a whole heck of alot of fluid dynamics stuff I learned in the military with that last post. Oddly enough I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes perfectly good sense. Even the "backwards" flow through the turbo. There is a term for that but for the life of me I cannot rememebr what it's called.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-18-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
You know you just brought back a whole heck of alot of fluid dynamics stuff I learned in the military with that last post. Oddly enough I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes perfectly good sense. Even the "backwards" flow through the turbo. There is a term for that but for the life of me I cannot rememebr what it's called.
LOL, yeah I have heard what it is called as well but also can't think of the name.

Many years ago I was actually a fan of BOV's as well. I argued for them. But then a real bright guy layed out all the facts and i started actually thinking through the math and came to realize that he was right. The BOV really does nothing good for performance at all and actually hurts response between gears and on a corner ect.

Thats when i tried running without a BOV for the first time and ever since that day I have been hooked. It is a night and day difference both when shifting and on track. If you have to lift even a little bit mid-corner with a BOV it will screw you really bad. Without a BOV it acts just like an NA car, no ill effects. For a track car i will NEVER run a BOV again and don't see me running a BOV on any street cars ever again either, unless I wanted a full on sleeper.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 10-18-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Is all related to suction head vs NPSH (net positive suction head) vs Discharge pressure vs flowrate etc etc but it's none of those terms. dang it, your gonna send me to google. haha. I though all this crap was drilled into my head over the course of 2 years but that was 13 years ago. lol.

Here's another term to jog your mind, a turbo is essentially a variable displacement vane type centrifugal pump. The variable displacement is only because it works in conjunction with the wastegate otherwise it's just a positive displacement.

This is as close as I can get, but still doesn't use that term. It was explained to us because of the need for check valves after the feedwater pumps if both those and the condensate pumps were idle. http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/137...e-Forward-Flow

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-18-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after reading all that looks like this will be my best option.

Name:  CDKbjgBWkKGrHqUOKj0E0gzQRfLBNNm6D1GK0_12.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  42.7 KB
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Clownmeat
So after reading all that looks like this will be my best option.

LOL, I assume you are joking?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Id say go for it.
Whoever has the loudest and noisiest car is the coolest.

By the way, this topic ruined my dreams. I thought I could just toss a turbo under the hood, slam it shut, and go.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mynameistommy510
By the way, this topic ruined my dreams. I thought I could just toss a turbo under the hood, slam it shut, and go.
You can, but chances are ya might only make it a block or two. lol. That's of course you actually have the turbo hooked up and not just sitting there to look cool.

This is why I like the remote mount setups. Under the hood it simply just looks like a cold air intake where you just have the cone shoved in a fender or something for protection.

I might have missed it but you intercooling this? If so any pics and whatnot of where you mounted the cooler?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 AM

No plans to intercool it right now, just want to get it running. If I do in the future it will be air/water like on my Honda because a front mount won't help much going 2mph offroad.

Name:  001-1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  128.6 KB

Last edited by Clownmeat; 10-19-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

No plans to intercool it right now, just want to get it running. If I do in the future it will be air/water like on my Honda because a front mount won't help much going 2mph offroad.

Non-intercooled will be fine. LOT cooler intake temps then a supercharger even like that. Could use some water/meth injection to cool the intake charge as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM

With the amt of boost you'll be running for now, I don't think heat is gonna be an issue especially in theory anyway some will disperse since your running remote vise under hood. It was just out of curiosity. I agree though air to water would be the way to go.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-19-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Wastegate is on the way, then just need to fab up some charge pipes.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Wastegate is on the way, then just need to fab up some charge pipes.
What size/brand wastegate did you go with?

Real interested how you are going to run the charge pipes. I was adding up ow much it cost me to do a setup like this last night and was not sure how to add up costs on piping that i didn't know where to run it lol.

If you could make of a price sheet on what this all has run you in the end that would be great.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:20 AM

If it were me doing it, I'd figure out a way to get the intake/charge pipes into the bed and into a "sealed" compartment. And I of course use the sealed term loosely here. lol. This is the only drawback to having that turbo under the truck like that. But then again, I like my water/mud holes as well. If this thing is only gonna see rock and no water whatsoever, one could get away with running the filter just in the same protection compartment your gonna have for the turbo itself.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-20-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

He has a 4runner so no bed that i know of unless you mean inside the truck with him, might be a little hot for the upholstery though lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:29 AM

hahaha forgot all about it being a 4runner hahaha. Does the intakes get that hot on these? I know the exhaust piping / turbo outlet has the tendency to glow under the right circumstances but........

BTW I really wanna be the first one on here with a turbo'd carb'd truck. Not saying it's worth it, but it's cool as all hell.
Only issue with that is that the mud bog classes around here none of them allow you to run turbo.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-20-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

hahaha forgot all about it being a 4runner hahaha. Does the intakes get that hot on these? I know the exhaust piping / turbo outlet has the tendency to glow under the right circumstances but........

BTW I really wanna be the first one on here with a turbo'd carb'd truck. Not saying it's worth it, but it's cool as all hell.
Well the intake doesn't get that hot but the charge piping can get very hot. The sucking sound from the intake in truck might be a little much to live with as well lol.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I think I am just slightly confused here, charge piping for some stupid reason I was thinking intake piping, charge piping is related to the pipework for the wastegate right? :doh:
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

I think I am just slightly confused here, charge piping for some stupid reason I was thinking intake piping, charge piping is related to the pipework for the wastegate right? :doh:
It depends on where in the world you are. Overseas charge piping is what they call intercooler piping.

In this case it applies over here because he doesn't have an intercooler. It is what comes out of the turbo.

The intake piping is the intake and goes into the turbo.

The wastegate will go into either a dump tube/pipe or it will be sent back to the exhaust.

The inlet to the turbine housing is usually a manifold but in this case it is the exhaust from the truck.

The outlet from the turbine is usually the downpipe but in this case it is also the exhaust.

That that covers most of the turbo lingo.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:53 AM

lol, I feel real dumb now. I originally thought the same thing charge piping = piping between turbo and TB. However since he already had it hooked up and started, I guess I got confused when he said he still had to mess with it.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

lol, I feel real dumb now. I originally thought the same thing charge piping = piping between turbo and TB. However since he already had it hooked up and started, I guess I got confused when he said he still had to mess with it.
lol, well you are right, the charge piping is between the turbo and TB but he just doesn't have that hooked up yet. He just started it to see it spin.

The outlet temps from the turbo can get upwards of 300+ degrees, although at the kind of boost he will be running (guessing around 10-12psi) it will most likely be closer to high 100's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo 4runner start up, almost done