Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra Upgrade Price...Pretty darned Affordable

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra Upgrade Price...Pretty darned Affordable

I just wanted to let everyone know that rockauto has some great prices right now on all the Tundra brake upgrade stuff.

I am able to get two refurbished semi loaded calipers, pads & rotors for just about $250 after sending back the cores.

Below is a little excel snap shot showing the breakdown with part numbers.

And no, I am not shilling for rockauto, but their prices are simply the best I have found anywhere. All local stuff was well over $300 bucks.

EDIT: This is for the 231mm setup. 13WL

Last edited by Man4God; 10-02-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Forgot the size part. Doh!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any idea if there are t100 brake upgrades?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Great... now I have no reason not to do this upgrade. My brakes pulse like hell going downhill and everything was just replaced not too long ago. Im wondering if I should just wear out my current stuff or do the brake upgrade now. Hmmm..............
Old 10-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4runsport
Great... now I have no reason not to do this upgrade. My brakes pulse like hell going downhill and everything was just replaced not too long ago. Im wondering if I should just wear out my current stuff or do the brake upgrade now. Hmmm..............
It's really not that expensive. Mind you, I just ordered the stuff. I will need brake fluid and go through the PITA of bleeding the brakes. But I KNOW it will be worth it.

I just redid my brakes and they are shuddering as well. All it takes is one panic stop or not being perfect on bedding in the new pads and the bastards are warped.

If it was me, and literally it could be me based on what you wrote, just go ahead and get it done.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zpd426
Do you have any idea if there are t100 brake upgrades?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. But I can't imagine that the spindles are much different than what the Tacos have.

Here is what I would do. Go on to Rockauto, write down a couple of the 2006 Tundra 4.7l brake parts (calipers & rotors mainly) and compare them to what they pull up for the year T100 you have.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God
It's really not that expensive. Mind you, I just ordered the stuff. I will need brake fluid and go through the PITA of bleeding the brakes. But I KNOW it will be worth it.

I just redid my brakes and they are shuddering as well. All it takes is one panic stop or not being perfect on bedding in the new pads and the bastards are warped.

If it was me, and literally it could be me based on what you wrote, just go ahead and get it done.
It really is something for me to consider. I go up and down a few big hills to work everyday and when your going downhill at 60mph and the light changes at the bottom of the hill its a battle to stop without the friggin pulsing. I referred to this writeup... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...tml#post835439
...and I am considering the 231mm upgrade. Is that what you went with or the 199mm? I am just a bit concerned over the spacing between the caliper and rim.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Man4God
Unfortunately, I have no idea. But I can't imagine that the spindles are much different than what the Tacos have.

Here is what I would do. Go on to Rockauto, write down a couple of the 2006 Tundra 4.7l brake parts (calipers & rotors mainly) and compare them to what they pull up for the year T100 you have.
I doubt the tundra calipers would fit on our T100's because the tundra uses non-serviceable wheel bearings, while the T100 uses serviceable wheel bearings and hubs. The would change the location of the rotor on the hub, thus changing the position of the caliper. I might be lifting my truck this afternoon at work so if I do I'll see if its possible.

ZPD, I'm running power slot rotors on the front of mine. They feel a lot better than the factory rotors, especially on stops from higher speeds or heavy repeated braking. I've also got factory pads, but was considering trying a set of EBC's or Hawk pads in the future.

Last edited by 250000_yota; 10-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM

It really is something for me to consider. I go up and down a few big hills to work everyday and when your going downhill at 60mph and the light changes at the bottom of the hill its a battle to stop without the friggin pulsing. I referred to this writeup... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...tml#post835439
...and I am considering the 231mm upgrade. Is that what you went with or the 199mm? I am just a bit concerned over the spacing between the caliper and rim.
I am an idiot and forgot that part. So I added it in. Yes, the 231mm setup. Which wheels do you have? If the stock 16" then you will have clearance issues. I hear its just a bit of grinding. But I swapped to Tundra rims (same as on the TRD Tacos) and as I understand, they will fit just fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Yeah still running stock rims. This is my truck so im assuming I would have to do some grinding although the end of the article I posted has a list of stock wheels that will work, just not sure if mine fall under that.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Yeah still running stock rims. This is my truck so im assuming I would have to do some grinding although the end of the article I posted has a list of stock wheels that will work, just not sure if mine fall under that.
Yours definitely look like the OEM 4-Runner 5-Spoke "Flower" Wheels, found on '01-02 models to me.

I say they will clear.

I hope they clear mine. Since mine come on that generation Tundras, I would hope so. Now I need to look for another Tundra wheel for a spare. Didn't see that part about the spare not fitting.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM

If you had a flat in front, you'd have to move a good tire from the back and put the spare on the back. Double work i'd be willing to risk
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mynameistommy510
If you had a flat in front, you'd have to move a good tire from the back and put the spare on the back. Double work i'd be willing to risk
Indeed.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by mynameistommy510
I never even thought of that. Good point! Double work might not be worth it in my case if I got a flat tire on one of NJ's insane highways with traffic rushing by in the rain....
Now if one used the 199mm caliper vs. using the 231mm would you have the same clearance problems? I know the 231 is going to be a step above but would the 199 should still provide better braking then the stock caliper?

Last edited by 4runsport; 10-03-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 AM

I never even thought of that. Good point! Double work might not be worth it in my case if I got a flat tire on one of NJ's insane highways with traffic rushing by in the rain....
Now if one used the 199mm caliper vs. using the 231mm would you have the same clearance problems? I know the 231 is going to be a step above but would the 199 should still provide better braking then the stock caliper?

From what I have read, the 199 still had issues. Don't forget, the Tundra had warping issues that we have on our 4Runners and I don't see there being much of a difference in weight between the two. I do think the biggest benefit is the thickness of the rotor and ability to cast off heat & handle heat to begin with.

All I know is that I am willing to make the sacrifice because I am tired of the crappy brakes. I drove around with squeaking, scratchy breaks for a year because I was so hesitant to do a break job, not get something perfect and deal with crappy brake shudder.

I will be looking for a 17" replacement wheel & tire. Shouldn't be too hard. CL is one click away!