Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra TRD (with no spacer) and 906 combo

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra TRD (with no spacer) and 906 combo

Is anyone here running a Tundra TRD (with no spacer) and 906 combo? Trekmaster or OME shocks?

I’m well aware of the info that’s out there on this, and I’ve been searching and reading diligently. What I would like is personal opinions about this particular setup.

Is the ride good with Trekmasters or is OME the only way to go? I’ve read Trekmasters should not be used with OME springs, but then the 906 seems to be it‘s own animal.

Anybody need to add rear spacers, or is there already a slight rake? (proper, between .25 and 1“)

I already have 99 coils, but the rears are worn out it seems. I have new Trekmasters up front and air shocks in the rear, which I’m not really thrilled with. My thoughts are to get the rear Trekmasters and see how bad the springs are. Depending on what I find here, I may just replace the rears with a new set of 99’s or get some 906’s and add the TRD’s shortly there after.

If I go the 906/TRD route, are the Trekmasters going to be useless due to a poor ride?

I expect the 906/TRD combo is a great way to go, but has anybody found differently?

If anyone has measurements on this setup that would be great.

I’m looking for cush. The TRD/cruiser coils sounds great, but I need to keep my center of gravity as low as I can. (90% of my driving is done on Mexican roads, and the side to side motion increases the higher up you go, which kills your neck) I may go with 265/75, but I’m OK with staying at 265/70.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM

if your on mexican roads / desert type terrain alot - just step up and get yourself a set of adjustable coilovers like sway-a-ways, or the like. Youll never look back. They are a little steep at $850+-, but its the last coilover youll ever buy.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 AM

SAWs are on back order like 2-3 weeks I was told, I'm still waiting for mine to be built.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co...tml#System_1.2

Local Business in Tempe. Arguably the best lift out there for 4runners
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Yeah, I wish my budget would allow such a thing! I looks into the SAW’s and they just aren’t an option for me.

If budget weren’t such an issue I’d probably be getting the OME comforts all around right now. Some say it’s too soft, but for me I would imagine the softer the better. Think Lexus LS400ish, though I know I’d never get anywhere close. I’m well aware it’s a truck. Mexican roads kick my butt pretty good, and I just need to minimize that. Getting the damn air shocks off is a key part of that I think.

Problem is that I already have a front set of Trekmasters, but what I’ve read is they don’t work as well with the TRD springs. I’d hate to go drop money on a set for the rear if I’ll just have to replace them all anyway with OME’s. I’m really hoping for some feedback on this set up with the Trekmasters.

I think you’re right though, Saw’s would be the last coil over I’d ever buy, my wife would likely bury me! I kid, but I just don’t have that kind of spare cash. I mean I’d love to get a supercharger too, but it just isn’t in the cards.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by rock hardson
http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co...tml#System_1.2

Local Business in Tempe. Arguably the best lift out there for 4runners
I do like Steve’s systems a lot, and I know he has the best systems by far, but I don’t want that much lift. His 99 kit would be good, but I also like the extra weight capability of the 906 springs and the progressive nature of the TRDs. I basically have his 99 kit sans Trekmasters for the rear. I’d love to have his shocks too, but as I understand it he doesn’t sell them without purchase of a lift. Also, my primary motivation is not off roading like rock crawling, just driving on poor roads regularly. I don’t know which would be more comfy on bad roads, his shocks or the OME comforts.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by rbakeremai
I do like Steve’s systems a lot, and I know he has the best systems by far, but I don’t want that much lift. His 99 kit would be good, but I also like the extra weight capability of the 906 springs and the progressive nature of the TRDs. I basically have his 99 kit sans Trekmasters for the rear. I’d love to have his shocks too, but as I understand it he doesn’t sell them without purchase of a lift. Also, my primary motivation is not off roading like rock crawling, just driving on poor roads regularly. I don’t know which would be more comfy on bad roads, his shocks or the OME comforts.
His shocks and Land Cruiser coils are suppossed to be PLUSH from what I gather. I'll let you know, I picked up a 1.2 system from him on Monday. Will be installing tomorrow. Will post pics as well. It is alot of cash for sure, but I haven't seen one complaint from someone who purchased one of his systems. Do it once, do it right. And he has done all the research and trials for all of us and has put together the best package.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM

yea, i have sonoran's 1.2 system on my 2000 runner with the SAW's up front - its the only way to lift a runner in my opinion. I have a 97, 98, & a 99 4runner, all with different ome's coils in the rear, but eventually put saw's up front on all of em since they respond sooo much better.
The sonoran 1.2 lift is really the only way to lift a 4runner - its how the 4runner should have come from the factory. Steve knows his shiat!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rock I will be curious to hear how you like yours

rbakeremai you have to be prepared to experiment with the ride of several variations of lift and shocks before you find the exact one you like to your butt...

If you want the closest thing to the boulevard ride with no lift then you want stock yes?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Simply put. Awesome
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM

I love copy-paste.

To the op, here's a couple pics of my 4R. Lift is:
Front: OME 881 springs with top out spacers and OME comfort schocks
Rear: OME 906 springs and OME comfort shocks. Installing three 10mm trim spacers in the near future.

On 265's:

On 285's:

Edit: If you're staying with 265's, I'd go 881/Tundra front with no top plate spacers and 906 rear. I love how my setup handles. Huge improvement over stock components, and although the slight front to rear rake isn't everybody's cup of tea, it's unique, my setup handles well and performs great off road too. Just have to buy a few trim spacers for the back so I don't rip my flares off at full flex.

Last edited by 02_Limited; 01-04-2010 at 07:37 PM.