Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra/OME w/spacer front: What for rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra/OME w/spacer front: What for rear?

I am the future proud owner of Tanto's Tundra coils/OME shocks Bamachem 3/8" spacers... Currently I am running stock 265/70R16 AT tires, they look pretty mean for AT tires. I am wondering what I should do for the rear.

Here's the deal, I want to run my current 265's until they are out of tread (about 10k on them now) while running the lift, then go to either 285/75R16 BFG AT or 265/75 BFG ATs. From what i've read everyone who has run 265/75's kicks themselves for not running the bigger meaner 285's.

So.... will I be able to clear 285's with OME N86/891's in the rear? And... Will it look good (level lift?) It feels like beating a dead horse, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. (Shaving Arms and hammering out other parts isn't a big deal)

By the way, the only reason I finally sprung to lift the 'runner is because of the killer deal ($250 for the tundra OME front setup... SHIPPED) I'm such a poor college student
Old 07-31-2006, 06:12 PM

If i were u, I would put some LC coils in the back, along with lc shocks. You can buy cruiser coils new for about $120 and shocks for about $60. You use the front coils out of a 1995 FZJ-80.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have the rear setup yet?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
Do you have the rear setup yet?

Nope, just the front so far. (and technically I haven't purchased that yet, but it's spoken for, and I'm not going to back out)

From what i've heard the LC coils give you like 4 inches of lift... is that going to be too much? Are you talking about LC shocks too?

Where in the heck online do I buy LC coils/shocks... Also I emailed strap22 about a quote on OME rear end stuff, see how much that runs me.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 PM

You can buy LC coils and shocks from Strapp22 aswell. If you get the right LC coils you will get 3.5". Some people have gotten 4" of lift when installing new coils but they settle to aobut 3.5".
Yes you can us LC shocks.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

I know lots of guys are doing this but I have had great luck with the same OME set-up you are talking about. They work great and Have not sagged for me at all. I left in the stock bump stops inside the coils to give me and extra 1/2 of lift in the back. It is raked a bit but it doesn't look as raked as a set of LC coils will.

I vote OME coils and shocks!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I know lots of guys are doing this but I have had great luck with the same OME set-up you are talking about. They work great and Have not sagged for me at all. I left in the stock bump stops inside the coils to give me and extra 1/2 of lift in the back. It is raked a bit but it doesn't look as raked as a set of LC coils will.

I vote OME coils and shocks!
Ditto. I bought a set of LC coils and they were tall. I didn't even try them after seeing pics here of others so I bought some 891's. I wish I did this from the beginning.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Ditto. I bought a set of LC coils and they were tall. I didn't even try them after seeing pics here of others so I bought some 891's. I wish I did this from the beginning.
My vote is for OME 890 springs with comfort shocks..

In this pic, I do not yet have the 3/8" spacers installed.

Ride is excellent and definitely the best of any of my lifted 4runners. Cheap enough from Phil.

I am planning on air assist bags inside the coils later (again, cheap) for heavy loads or towing to prevent any sag longer term.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

It's ok... I ended up not being able to get the tundra/ome front setup from Tanto. (I like the look of that setup though)

I'll probably end up running OME out back in the future, depending on what I can find used around here.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ilikesoup
It's ok... I ended up not being able to get the tundra/ome front setup from Tanto. (I like the look of that setup though)

I'll probably end up running OME out back in the future, depending on what I can find used around here.
You could always try and get some 99 "Highlander" springs cheap here with your stock shocks for now.

Go see Stevie's web page for how much lift this set up will give you.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 07:55 AM

Hey Ilikesoup;

I went with Land Cruiser Coils in the rear of 4Runner!! They give 3.5" lift, and the truck does get a little "raked" The reason for going with LC coils is because if you go with any less lift your Drive shaft will hit you Gas tank when your wheelin'. But If your just going with the lifted look then you can go with pretty much anything; Old Man Emu, Downey, Coil spacers...

Here's a shot of my 4Runner with the LC coils>>
Old 08-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

i still may go to LC coils/shocks someday, but for reference - here's rear downey coils and OME shocks

Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97Limited
if you go with any less lift your Drive shaft will hit you Gas tank when your wheelin'.

No I actually want good offroad functionality, the "lifted look" is dumb if you ain't gunna wheel

Currently my gas tank skid plate is dented so badly, that it barely clears the driveshaft, and when I get some moderate flex, the driveshaft hits the gas tank pretty hard. That's gotta be taken care of. Anyways, I've never heard of the driveshaft hitting the gas tank using OME shocks, but it's good to know!

As for highlander shocks, I'll look into that...
Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 AM

No I actually want good offroad functionality, the "lifted look" is dumb if you ain't gunna wheel

Currently my gas tank skid plate is dented so badly, that it barely clears the driveshaft, and when I get some moderate flex, the driveshaft hits the gas tank pretty hard. That's gotta be taken care of. Anyways, I've never heard of the driveshaft hitting the gas tank using OME shocks, but it's good to know!

As for highlander shocks, I'll look into that...
To be fair, and I have been involved in Yotatech since its birth and also the offroad.com forums, I have never heard that unless you use Land Cruiser coils in the rear and get a minimum of 3.5" of lift in the rear then you will get driveshaft interference on your gas tank.

When Schaeffer experimented with long travel Landcruiser Bilstein shocks on his old pre SAS set up, he did have gas tank issues but fixed that with his custom bump stops which limited up travel a hair. This was an up travel issue as I recall an not a static lift issue.

First off, I am going to go away and research this before I comment more.

Second, there must be a very large group of people with destroyed gas tank skid plates as before the LC coils were discovered, either spacers or OME or Downey was the only game in town and 2 to 2.5" was normal lift in the rear

The Downeys claimed 3.5" but I, like most others got closer to 2.5" with Downey's.

I am not doubting 97Ltd's comment its just I am pretty sure some of the guys here who have wheeled extensively here in VA would have been pissed if they could not wheel without 3.5" min lift in the back.

Erik would be one wheeler who comes to mind and although he was running 33's, he had less than 3.5" in back.

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 08-01-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99

I am not doubting 97Ltd's comment its just I am pretty sure some of the guys here who have wheeled extensively here in VA would have been pissed if they could not wheel without 3.5" min lift in the back.

Erik would be one wheeler who comes to mind and although he was running 33's, he had less than 3.5" in back.

David
If my coments are incorrect I apologize; But I'm just going by what I was told when researching a lift for my 4Runner!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 97Limited
If my coments are incorrect I apologize; But I'm just going by what I was told when researching a lift for my 4Runner!!
Not a problem.

I think we could just clarify for some folks that wheeling is possible with less than a 3.5" lift in back as long as you are aware that the driveshaft may foul the gas tank under certain circumstances. As I said, I think its up travel and related to stuff which can be limited. I will get back to you.

Obviously, an ideal set up would not limit any travel up to the limit of destroying other parts of the truck and so 3.5" in back is probably ideal but certainly not the only way to wheel.

However, it is good to be mindful of tearing up your gas tank/gas tank skid.

David
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Nope, just the front so far. (and technically I haven't purchased that yet, but it's spoken for, and I'm not going to back out)
It's ok... I ended up not being able to get the tundra/ome front setup from Tanto.
So you ended up backing out?

For whoever is interested I will have a used rear setup for sale soon, OME 891 and N86. ~20k on them. Also SAW's up front, but I believe the struts are leaking, once off I will have more info.

Someone should jump on these, I was going to but they were a little beat up for me and all I wanted was the struts and springs, so it wasn't worth it for this used setup w/ extras vs. a new setup. But Ryan is a great guy, and wouldn't mislead anybody. Shoot he even offered to install them with me.

Last edited by unr.frosh; 08-01-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

im running ome's and pro comp shocks out back. i got around 3" of lift after things have settled down. running fagtech coils up front. in my webweeling opinion..i wouldnt run LC's outback unless you had some quality (read: downey/saw/etc) coilovers up front to get a bit more height. without em..it looks a bit too rakey methinks. a guy i run with has LCs outback and a fabtech dropbracket setup up front. he hits the gas tank skid pretty bad when the rear drivers tire is stuffed. i agree and think its an uptravel issue that causes it. i havent had any issues rubbing the gas skid..and i get the rears stuff pretty good. oh..and get the 285's.

anyway..heres my setup:

Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM

I have the LC coils and shocks in the rear. What most peopl dont realize until later is that if you do the "Toyota" lift and you didnt get it from Sonoran you will need the spacers in the front otherwise it looks strange like a cat getting ready to pounce. I bought 2 bamachem spacers ro make an even 1" lift spacer. This seemed to level the rear a bit more. Another reason why I went the LC spring and shock route was because financially it made sense and I also carry quite a bit of crp on my adventures whethe mtb bike races or diving or fishing or towning I need the extra heft those springs provided. I did all the research that just about every 4runner owner does before lifting his or her vehicle, I run 285 BFG AT's and 285 Interco SSR's after some clearance issue with the SSR's and my upper arms I though maybe a good idea to trim the uppers but with some more research found the uppers to be hollow and grinding them down could be bad w/o rewelding them to cover the hole. So I bought a pair of hub adapters "wheel spacers" 1" and have had no problems with rubbing the uppers. The adapters were purchased on ebay for $69 ea. and are as similar as I could find to what toher toyota sites offer.

Anyquestions please feel free

Aaron
w/285 AT's

w/ 285 SSR's

Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
So you ended up backing out?

Negative, I wouldn't pass on a deal that sweet. What happened was that there was no message on the form about anyone wanting to buy, so i posted, and PMed...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f180/post-long-travel-front-susp-parts-88694/

here's the thread... Anyways hlpressley message was not there when I posted my mesasge, but Tanto said he got email notification of the post, which is weird. Anyways, i think the moderaters fixed the error and hlpressley's post appeared this morning where it should have.

By the way unr.frosh, I got dibs on the SAW and OME setup! (PM me a price, and actually check your PM's)

Tanto is an honest guy, and he appologized for the confusion... just too bad hlpressley beat me to the shocks (just taught me to stay on top of the marketplace forums better)

Last edited by ilikesoup; 08-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Tundra/OME w/spacer front: What for rear?