Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota Tundra Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tundra Brakes - TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tundra Brakes - Technical Service Bulletin?

Don't know if anyone here has heard or knows about this but I am looking at doing a Tundra brake swap on my 98 4Runner and preparing to get the parts. Anyone heard about the issue Toyota is having with 2000-2005 Tundra brakes? I found a link at Consumer Affairs website and it talks about numerous issues with the front brakes on quite a few of these trucks and Toyota seems to be turning a deaf ear. I even called Toyota about it and it was difficult to get any information from the Service department. In fact when I mentioned that I wanted to know what were the corrected parts as I wanted to install the brakes on my 98 erunner, I instantly got a response stating"We can not recommend or authorize any adaption of any Toyota parts unless it was for the original vehicle." I explained all I wanted to know was what parts had been identified and are being replaced as a result of the TSB. Really couldn't get any information but they admitted that there is an issue, what it actually is remains to be seen. Anyone else know anything about this? I would hate to spend all this money to do the brake swap and then end up with warping or worn out calipers, pads and rotors every 15,000 miles. Here is a link about the issue: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ra_brakes.html

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 05-10-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: edit title
Old 05-11-2008, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Don't know if anyone here has heard or knows about this but I am looking at doing a Tundra brake swap on my 98 4Runner and preparing to get the parts. Anyone heard about the issue Toyota is having with 2000-2005 Tundra brakes? I found a link at Consumer Affairs website and it talks about numerous issues with the front brakes on quite a few of these trucks and Toyota seems to be turning a deaf ear. I even called Toyota about it and it was difficult to get any information from the Service department. In fact when I mentioned that I wanted to know what were the corrected parts as I wanted to install the brakes on my 98 erunner, I instantly got a response stating"We can not recommend or authorize any adaption of any Toyota parts unless it was for the original vehicle." I explained all I wanted to know was what parts had been identified and are being replaced as a result of the TSB. Really couldn't get any information but they admitted that there is an issue, what it actually is remains to be seen. Anyone else know anything about this? I would hate to spend all this money to do the brake swap and then end up with warping or worn out calipers, pads and rotors every 15,000 miles. Here is a link about the issue: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ra_brakes.html
That's the issue that toyota fixed with the 231mm calipers.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...=26&topic=54.0
Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 AM

i run the 231mm calipers with great results, I tow my fj40 and have not had an over heated breaks yet.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well here in lies the problem I am looking at. If Toyota did a TSB on the 199mm calipers and rotors to resolve the issue on the Tundra's how will this affect our using the 199mm on our 4runner? Can we expect the same results? Kinda defeats the purpose of doing the conversion, going from one brake issue to another.

So has anyone who has done the swap using the 199 had further issue of warping rotors? How extensive is the modification using the 231mm?

I am needing to replace my brakes on my 98 and thought this would be a gr8 opportunity to do so. I just don't want to go to the expense and effor to install one set and still have the issue hanging over me when I get done. Please feel free to post comments and suggestions as well as any directions on install of the"fix" to the Tundra brakes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found the TSB on 2000 to 2005 Tundras. Do you need any specifics on it?

The TSB is too big to upload to yotatech (15 pgs.)

Last edited by HAVOC; 05-11-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
from what i read on here, i think the recall was because the brakes didn't perform as well (stopping and overheating) on the larger Tundras and Sequoias but those 199mm calipers and the larger rotors would be an improvement on the smaller and lighter 4runner. i'm not 100% on that but that's what i got out of the reading i did.

i put the 199mm brakes on last summer since i was due for brakes and swapping the bigger stuff was not much more of an investment for what the performance pay off would be. i don't do much of anything but commute to work 5 days a week all of about 100 miles total, so to be honest i have not felt a big improvement over stock but i'm not towing or doing any hard driving either. and i'm not very perceptive . all i would say is if you do it, use the OEM pads. i got some Bendix brand from O'reilly's and the brake dust is insane! although i have heard good things about Hawk pads too.

as for the install, for the 199mm, it was all bolt on; easy as can be. i think i've heard you have to trim the dust shield for the 231mms and there can also be clearance issues between the caliper and the wheel on 16" wheels. that is why i just went with the 199mm set up.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pattycakes77
from what i read on here, i think the recall was because the brakes didn't perform as well (stopping and overheating) on the larger Tundras and Sequoias but those 199mm calipers and the larger rotors would be an improvement on the smaller and lighter 4runner. i'm not 100% on that but that's what i got out of the reading i did.
You are spot on with that answer.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 PM

I did the swap to 199mm brakes from the thundra onto my 4runner.....and they work fine. I tow a boat and a car trailer and do a lot of driving upstate....and the brake upgrade is definitely noticeable...haven't had problems yet, but i would expect the thundra people to do a lot more heavy towing than a 4runner can.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could be overkill for small brake swept area increase

Originally Posted by zlathim
You are spot on with that answer.
It is good when folks chirp in with some positive affirmation about opinions instead of just sitting on the sidelines and criticizing thanks zlathim

I wanted to see if generally you would agree that the small increase in the rotor's actual affected area-I believe it be called brake swept area-is very incremental. I think I read in the neighborhood of 5%.

The 199 versus 213mm issue is significant because the caliper affected increase is quite small to do a 4Runner upgrade to a 199 caliper setup, hence the step up to a 213 is a bit more of a step up in improvement.

(I am no tech-I just read what you all say, but the total increase in brake pad size of a 199 caliper over the stock Runner pad is very small....)

Having said that ritzy, I still stand on record as saying the factory 4Runner calipers and upgraded pads and rotors can go a long way toward improving any shortcomings in brake performance. If you do not tow or drive your truck like a sports car it will brake just fine with (my suggestion) Toyota upgrade pads and (insert your desired brand here) decent rotors.

Frankly the 3rd gens brakes are a gi-normous improvement over that of the 2nd gens I hope we all can agree on that....
Old 08-03-2008, 05:01 AM

Calipers from Tundra

I just upgraded my 2002 Tundra brakes from the SW13E Calipers to the 13WL that were used on the 2004+ models. Is anybody here interested in buying the old SW13E's?

I have everything that came off of the Tundra, Calipers, Rotors, Bolts, etc. The rotors would definitely need turning as they had developed a strong pulsing when braking around 45-50 miles per hour. They have already been turned twice. You can buy any part or all of what I have.

You can read about the Tundra issue at http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ra-brakes-1-a/. My understanding is that the calipers are not defective, just too small for the Tundra.

If there is any interest I'll put up a auction on ebay. I am expecting to get around $75 plus actual shipping charges.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 AM

What are the size of the stock 4runner calipers? I thought they were 153mm. If that's the case I would think an upgrade to the 199mm would offer great imporovement. The 231mm one would be even better. I think a lot of that improvment is also do to how thick the rotor is on the Tundra. There's a huge difference between the two. I think there might be a pic or two on here of that. I pulled them off the shelf when I worked at autozone and compared.

I'm still not sure whether I want to do the 199mm or the 231mm. There are some things I mat or may not do and that will determine my brake upgrade.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM

tundraguy, pm sent regarding the brakes.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM

I did the 199mm and noticed a difference for the better....when my rear brakes were in adjustment.

The adjusting lever was cracked, so the adjustment gear screw wasnt held in place.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM

I'm currently looking for some 199mm Tundra calipers for my 4Runner. If you have any with S13WE stamped on them, please let me know! I've also left a couple messages on tundrasolutions.com...

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for some new OEM style Tundra rotors?

Thanks,
Jason