Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra Brake Upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tundra Brake Upgrade...

well, i've bitten the bullet and i'm going to do a full brake upgrade.

up front, i've ordered Tundra Brembo Rotors (plain face) from tirerack for $112 shipped.

i'll match up some OEM front pads from trdparts4u (about $60) along with some remanufactured calipers (199mm) from either napa ($190) or autozone ($140). i haven't decided if it's really worth the extra $50 for the calipers from napa compared to the ones from autozone. i still have a day or so to decide. i'm also adding some stainless brake lines to replace the 7-year-old, 154k mile soft lines.

in the rear, i'm just putting OEM shoes from trdparts4u and a sonoran steel stainless brake line. while i have the drums off, i'll have them resurfaced and clean everything up. the rears are the original set of shoes, and still have lots of material left, but that's really due to the lack of function for quite some time. i've had some pretty bad brake performance fade and i just discovered that i have a leaky rear seal on the passenger side. i'll swap both seals out while i'm doing the brakes.

i'll take a few pics along the way if i have a chance. i'm hoping to get at least the fronts swapped next week, but it all depends on how soon i can get the parts.

i ordered the front rotors from tirerack this morning at about 10am and i just got a shipping confirmation at 2:30, so if everything goes that nicely, then i'll be set.

Last edited by bamachem; 05-18-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! Those are definately on my To Do list for this summer.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 AM

{drool}
Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

while i'm in there w/ the wheels off, i'm probably going to swap out my springs/shocks w/ the stuff that's been in my garage too. big project, but it will be well worth it!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
while i'm in there w/ the wheels off, i'm probably going to swap out my springs/shocks w/ the stuff that's been in my garage too. big project, but it will be well worth it!
Yeah, you know, you might as well - and ya' know that S/C's been taking up space at the bottom of the closet so the wife doesn't see it; and that stereo you're runnin' is gettin' dusty...

Sounds like a nice weekend!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

just ordered the rear 4runner shoes (1999) and tundra 199mm front pads (for a 2001). $109.61 online, shipped from strap22 (phil) at toyotapartsales.com

no SC for me. not anytime soon anyway. i'll be happy w/ some good brakes for now...

Last edited by bamachem; 05-18-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
no SC for me. not anytime soon anyway.
Sounds like you're probably working a Visa today, maybe a M/C? Hmmm... if only I..

Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

visa.

hey, quick question...

partsamerica has "cardone" brand (lifetime warranty) reman calipers w/ installation hardware for $85 each, $50 core and free shipping. total is $270 shipped with $100 core, so overall, it would be about $180 after shipping the old cores back.

however, isn't that just advance auto parts' online website?

i also found the same cardone calipers on "overnight autoparts" and they're $240 shipped.

technically, couldn't i just order thru partsamerica online, get them and return my cores in the store and not have to pay shipping???

Last edited by bamachem; 05-18-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a writeup would be nice if u have time, ive been thinking of upgrading my brakes too. good luck with the install!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

nevermind, i found the answer. you can order online from partsamerica and then return the core to an advance, kragen, checker, etc store that's local to you. kewl. no shipping charges to get here, no taxes, and no shipping charges or hassle to get them back.

Core Returns
Core returns are the responsibility of the customer. PartsAmerica.com will not pay shipping costs for core returns to PartsAmerica.com. C.O.D. shipments will not be accepted.

Core returns not meeting these guidelines will be deemed ineligible for credit:

Core credits will only be given for units returned in the manufacturer’s box or container in which the new product was delivered. We will not accept core returns in non-standard packaging.
Core credits will only be issued for the exact number of units purchased. The core credit will not exceed the original core deposit.
Cores must be returned within 30 days of the ship date of the new product to be eligible for core credit.
Cores that are returned in weathered or rusted condition or with broken, cracked or damaged housings are not eligible for credit. Cores returned for credit must be complete and fully assembled. There will be no credit given on returns with missing parts, bent shafts or disassembled units.
Core credit will not be given if the returned core is not the same part as the new part purchased. Returned cores must be an identical match with the unit purchased.
Core credit will not be given if core does not arrive at PartsAmerica.com, Inc. or one of our exclusive retail partners, Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply or Kragen Auto Parts.

Return Procedures

Core Return Special Instructions

Remove any items from the core that may be needed for proper installation of a new replacement part.
Empty fluids from the core as much as possible.
Put the core in plastic bag and seal the bag.
Put bagged core in manufacturer’s box from new part.
Upon receipt and inspection, PartsAmerica.com will apply a credit for the core’s value per the preceding policy. Customer will be notified of value immediately if core is returned to a store or by email if core is shipped to PartsAmerica.com.
something to note, they don't carry the calipers in the store - they're special order. that means that you can't just go to the store and get one, but that also means they don't have any on-hand to compare the runner calipers to the tundra ones.

Last edited by bamachem; 05-18-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

allright... more searching. i called the local advance. they can get them in tomorrow morning, they will price match autozone at $69.99 each + $50 core (instead of $85 each), and i can return them to any store for the core credit. price is $153.28 after core refund.

the total upgrade price will be $375 for everything except the stainless lines, including all shipping, core refunds, etc. that's OEM reman calipers w/ a lifetime warranty, new rear OEM shoes, new front OEM pads, and brembo blank rotors - a serious upgrade over stock runner stuff.

the total to just get new front rotors, pads, & rear shoes would be about $225. for $150 upgrade on the calipers, i get better, non-fading, more powerful brakes. not bad at all.

i'll have the calipers tomorrow, then the shoes/pads, and rotors hopefully by monday. i'll probably pull the fronts and swap calipers this weekend, bleed them out, and swap suspension stuff around, then next week all i'll have to do is put on the rotors and pads and go for a drive.

Last edited by bamachem; 05-18-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 PM

Thats definetly going to be one of my next to do's. GREAT INFO by the way, how much are those stainless lines that you are looking at.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=big+tundra
I wrote this mod up in this thread (with Pics). Have had awsome brakes ever since....
Note that I also went with Parts America. I got the full core charge back on the stock 4runner calipers.
James
Old 05-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

definitely sounds like an awesome deal im hoping to get mine done in the next couple weeks & the rears turned as well .the shuddering is really starting to piss me off...

are there trd pads available for the tundra? if so, are they any better?

Last edited by d0ubledown; 05-18-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Banned

i'm picking up the calipers today from NAPA. i'm getting them semi-loaded for $65 each.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
definitely sounds like an awesome deal im hoping to get mine done in the next couple weeks & the rears turned as well .the shuddering is really starting to piss me off...

are there trd pads available for the tundra? if so, are they any better?
I think as is the case with the 4Runner Pads, the TRD pads are re-labeled Performance Friction pads. I seem to remember reading that somewhere around here. Perhaps someone else in the know would know.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DoubleZero4x4
I think as is the case with the 4Runner Pads, the TRD pads are re-labeled Performance Friction pads. I seem to remember reading that somewhere around here. Perhaps someone else in the know would know.
I've read that this is the case but I can't confirm.

I would recommend Raybestos pads for a few reasons. There's a thread here about what pads to use and from a pretty knowledgable source (WATRD), he recommended basic pads. He went to explain that ceramic or even more expensive racing pads did not do well on daily drivers as they needed heat to perform better and this is not how we normally drive our trucks. I figure Raybestos pads that came w/ my Tundra calipers were fine (not too expensive and are at best semi-metallic) and they leave almost no brake dust on my wheels.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Banned

the BEST pads are OEM - no doubt. the other "raybestos" type long-life pads typically last quite a while, but they chew up your rotors.

why do you think midas can do a lifetime brake pad job for $50 or something crazy cheap? it's cause you have to go in and have your rotors resurfaced ever 6 months (paying about $25-$40 each) just to keep them from vibrating and squealing. that takes life out of the rotors and the pads actually wear them down more cause the pads are extremely hard compared to the soft rotors that they sell. you'll weat out a set of rotors in a couple years, then to keep your "lifetime brakes" in good standing, you have to get rotors from them at about $250 a set. then the snowball continues down that hill...

there's a reason for hard metal rotors and soft non-metallic pads. my OEM rotors have lasted 154k miles and still have life. it's on it's second set of pads with plenty of life. there's not may aftermarket brands you could say that about...

Old 05-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I respectfully agree...OEM pads are the best.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
As a heads up and you can confirm w/ Steve but his rear brake line is only an extension and not a full replacement. I bought a set and they were only about 5" in length. I ended up selling them w/ my LC coils and bought a set from ravencr. The rear brake line I got from ravencr is much longer (about 20") compared to the one I got from Steve.

It would be great to get your opinion on the swap as you're pretty technical. Definitely post up your results.
What in the world are you talking about? The lines I have and sell are 19" long?

I have nothing what so ever 5"?

??? I have no clue if you are referenceing me, but your description is not of my product.

This line is 19", I DO NOT have, sell or have EVER seen a 5" "extension" line. ???

The ends are 1" and you can clearly see that it is pretty darn long, not 5".

???

???

???

???

Last edited by sschaefer3; 05-20-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Tundra Brake Upgrade...