Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tundra brake conversion... which rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra brake conversion... which rotors???

hey guys I hate to start yet another tundra upgrade thread but I have purchased the 199mm calipers and some Hawk pads just curious which brand rotors you are using???

Just so you know I have done the brembo solids with ceramic pads and they warped in about 2 months... I am really hoping that the tundra upgrade will cure my issues. I am sick of sinking $$ into brakes.... lots of other things I would like to buy if you know what I mean.

thanks guys.
mikeh
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 AM

*bump*
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 AM

Im using these

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bra...m%20pkg%20082?

on my Tacoma. They are Centric rotors and semi-metallic pads. Pricing has gone way up recently though, I paid $154 shipped about 4 months ago. Performance has been awesome, my brakes are WAY stronger than stock.

Wheelers has the same rotors for a few $ less

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tundrabrakes.htm

Edit: if you warped brembos that fast there is another problem. I'd suspect a stuck caliper, but that'll be fixed when you do the swap. If it happens again, look at your driving habits..

Last edited by yamataco; 05-02-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:03 AM

Are your rear drums properly adjusted? How many clicks does your e-brake go up? If it's more than 5 to 7 clicks, your fronts are doing most, if not all the work. Find an open area where you can go in reverse. Accelerate up to 10 mph in reverse and yank the parking brake up over and over. Might take several tries, but you should notice a decrease in your e-brake clicks and an improvement in braking ability.

There's a writeup on here by Bamachem that was very helpful.

Aside from that, perhaps consider Tundra calipers and Tundra Brembo blanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:57 AM

i did see that write up about ebrake.. .mine is ok.. I do alot of stop and go city driving, and rain pops up out of no where here. It probably is most to do with my driving habits...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 PM

I have a 99 4Runner and recently completed the Tundra conversion on the front (which is a breeze, btw).

Short answer: Go with TOYOTA Tundra rotors (and drums). Do not be tempted by any other aftermarket brand. BTDT, lost a wad of cash on the other junk out there.

Long answer: I bought new Brembo blank Tundra rotors from Tirerack in preparation of doing the swap. Also bought new Toyota pads and Autozone 199mm calipers. I put it all on and went for a drive. Things felt about the same as before, but smooth (no pulsing). Braking strength was not really any different, but I did notice the front end diving pretty good under some hard braking while seating the pads in. I did a series of soft braking, then braked harder. I finally went home and parked it. The next day, I take it for a drive and WHOA..... PULSING!! Huh? How can this be? I thought that maybe during my bed in procedure that I may have unevenly glazed my rotors with some pad material. Either that, or I just toasted my new Brembos already. So, as an effort to salvage the rotors, I had them lightly turned. I put them back on and the pulsing was gone.................... for a day, then it came back. Yep, those NEW Brembos were toasted alright. I can't believe that I managed to warp them that fast. I've used Brembos on the track w/ my miata and very aggressive race pads and they held up perfectly. Not so here.

So the next day I tear into the rear brakes. I should mention that at that time, the parking brake had not been working for an unknown amount of time. My wife drives our 4Runner 99% of the time so I don't know how long the parking brake had been unfunctional. I had picked up some CarQuest drums to have on hand in case I needed them. Well, when I removed one of the rear drums, I noticed that one of the shoes had slipped off of a pivot at the bottom on one side and the parking brake cable was mis-routed on both sides. I did a brake job on this car several years ago and I must have done a bad job then. The shoe was worn funny so I put on new Toyota 4Runner shoes and the CarQuest drums. Well................... the CarQuest drums were out of round apparently. When I would brake, in addition to the front pulsing from the screwed up Brembos, the rear would rumble. So, I found my original Toyota drums and installed them with the new Toyota shoes, carefully adjusted the rears and then went for another drive. Rear brakes are much better and hey, even the parking brake works great now too.

So, I then pulled off the Brembo front rotors and put on brand new Toyota Tundra rotors. Now the fronts feel great.

I talked to a local tire/brake shop and was told that they went through the exact same thing with the aftermarket rotors and drums not working well. They had tried all of these aftermarket rotors/drums for a 4Runner (and other Toyotas) and had problems with everything but the Toyota branded stuff. He was right in my case as well.

As for the overall braking feel now, it is not really that it is more forceful; it can just do more when I ask for more. I think the setup is more forgiving to heavy braking loads, which will hopefully reduce the chances of warped/over heated rotors. The Tundra rotors are larger and the surface area of the pads is larger too. Spreads out the pressure over a larger area. Definitely a plus and despite the fiasco with the aftermarket rotors and drums, the conversion was definitely worth it and very easy to do.

Last edited by Leebo; 05-05-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leebo
I have a 99 4Runner and recently completed the Tundra conversion on the front (which is a breeze, btw).

Short answer: Go with TOYOTA Tundra rotors (and drums). Do not be tempted by any other aftermarket brand. BTDT, lost a wad of cash on the other junk out there.

Long answer: I bought new Brembo blank Tundra rotors from Tirerack in preparation of doing the swap. Also bought new Toyota pads and Autozone 199mm calipers. I put it all on and went for a drive. Things felt about the same as before, but smooth (no pulsing). Braking strength was not really any different, but I did notice the front end diving pretty good under some hard braking while seating the pads in. I did a series of soft braking, then braked harder. I finally went home and parked it. The next day, I take it for a drive and WHOA..... PULSING!! Huh? How can this be? I thought that maybe during my bed in procedure that I may have unevenly glazed my rotors with some pad material. Either that, or I just toasted my new Brembos already. So, as an effort to salvage the rotors, I had them lightly turned. I put them back on and the pulsing was gone.................... for a day, then it came back. Yep, those NEW Brembos were toasted alright. I can't believe that I managed to warp them that fast. I've used Brembos on the track w/ my miata and very aggressive race pads and they held up perfectly. Not so here.

So the next day I tear into the rear brakes. I should mention that at that time, the parking brake had not been working for an unknown amount of time. My wife drives our 4Runner 99% of the time so I don't know how long the parking brake had been unfunctional. I had picked up some CarQuest drums to have on hand in case I needed them. Well, when I removed one of the rear drums, I noticed that one of the shoes had slipped off of a pivot at the bottom and the parking brake cable was mis-routed. I did a brake job on this car several years ago and I must have done a bad job then. The shoe was worn funny so I put on new Toyota 4Runner shoes and the CarQuest drums. Well................... the CarQuest drums were out of round apparently. When I would brake, in addition to the front pulsing from the screwed up Brembos, the rear would rumble. So, I found my original Toyota drums and installed them with the new Toyota shoes, carefully adjusted the rears and then went for another drive. Rear brakes are much better and hey, even the parking brake works great now too.

So, I then pulled off the Brembo front rotors and put on brand new Toyota Tundra rotors. Now the fronts feel great.

I talked to a local tire/brake shop and was told that they went through the exact same thing, They had tried all of these aftermarket rotors/drums for a 4Runner (and other Toyotas) and had problems with everything but the Toyota branded stuff. He was right in my case as well.

As for the overall braking feel now, it is not really that it is more forceful; it can just do more when I ask for more. I think the setup is more forgiving to heavy braking loads. The Tundra rotors are larger and the surface area of the pads is larger too. Spreads out the pressure over a larger area. Definitely a plus!
Dang Dood That was a mouthful! Im gettin' ready to do this upgrade myself on my 99 4Runner. That is all I needed to hear. Thanks for your post!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM

leebo... great info... I will def. go the toyota route... I am tired of dumping $$ into it... I will check rear brakes again but I think all is well. thanks for the reply fellas!
mike
Old 05-13-2007, 04:17 PM

leebo.. took your advice got Toyota pads and rotors for tundra that is... put it all on the other day... I am stoked man.. I keep waiting for it to vibrate cause was so used too it... It is nice and smooth... hopefully forever! well maybe not forever but you get the point
Old 05-13-2007, 05:05 PM

will these rotors and pads work with stock taocoma calipers or do these need to be upgraded as well?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM

you will need tundra calipers s13we is the marking on them
Old 05-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
will these rotors and pads work with stock taocoma calipers or do these need to be upgraded as well?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=tundra+brakes

Here is the write-up I did when I did the Tundra brake swap. They are still working great..
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mikehinthehouse
leebo.. took your advice got Toyota pads and rotors for tundra that is... put it all on the other day... I am stoked man.. I keep waiting for it to vibrate cause was so used too it... It is nice and smooth... hopefully forever! well maybe not forever but you get the point
Glad it worked out! I too am pretty pleased with the feel of the new brakes. No more warping (so far) and they just feel like they have the capacity needed.

BTW, had you already done the Tundra conversion previously... just not with Toyota parts? i.e. aftermarket parts?

Last edited by Leebo; 05-15-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 AM

no lee I just did solid brembos with ceramics for a 4runner.... big costly mistake... Im hoping to machine the rotors clean up my old calipers a lil and sell the stuff on ebay I dunno maybe someone can use them...