Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are Tube Doors Available for 3rd Gen 4Runners?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are Tube Doors Available for 3rd Gen 4Runners?

As the title suggests, I?d like to know if anyone knows of a company or person who sells tube doors for the ?96-?02 4Runners. I do not personally want a set, but I have a friend w/a ?98 4Runner who does. I know he is looking for a set for the front, and possibly the rear as well. Similar to what cubuff4runner has done with his 4Runner: Click Me

Now I?m fully aware anyone w/ a decent bit of welding and tube bending experience can make their own set, but this friend of mine is simply looking for a set he can purchase that is ready to be mounted right out of the box.

I have talked with Adam of 4xInnovations and even though he does not make these available for 3rd gen 4Runners, he did say if I give him all the measurements, he would bend all the tube for me that is needed to make a set of tube doors for the front. The only deal is, my buddy would have to find someone to do all the welding. This kit would be more of a DIY (do-it-yourself) kit straight out of the box. Again like I said, finding someone to weld is the easy part. I know a lot of guys who could do this for me, but this kit is not for me. My friend is just looking for a kit ready to go out of the box.

I have also spoken with Izzy of Shaffers Off Road and while he could make a set if he had too, he does not offer to do it. Again, if I supplied the measurements, he could bend the tube for me. No ?ready to go out of the box? kit here either. I came across this thread here on YT, YT Thread, where both Ric & Jhupp were researching the tube door idea, but nothing came of it. There are a few more threads on the matter, but nothing concrete. (I could have easily missed it too.)

One of the threads I did find, suggested this link to Shaffers Off Road within it: tube doors, but when Ric is commenting that he is glad someone has finally come out with a universal set of tube doors for 3rd Gens, Izzy is actually referring to the 3rd Gen Tacos and not the 3rd Gen 4Runners! (I found this out when I called and spoke with him.) (Funny how easily the word 3rd gen can get losted in translation.) He offers them for Tacomas & 1st gen 4Runners only (which so do a lot of other guys I have discovered), but he said the one thing he?d like to know with 100% certainty is, whether or not the doors on a 4Runner are the exact same dimensions as that of a Taco. Not so much the height or thickness, but rather the distance from the mounting hinges to the door latch itself. He said he?s never found out for sure whether or not a Taco tube door will fit a 4Runner. I would like to know this too, but I don?t want to be the test dummy. If any Taco owners could take a measurement from the door hinge to the latch, I?d appreciate it. (Unless you guys already know it will not fit, that would help too.) I will compare the measurements of a 4Runner and see how close we are in being the same length.

Okay to wrap of this rather long question, I simply want to know if there is a tube door kit ready to be mounted right out of the box? So please refrain from saying, ?Just make your own?, b/c I have already covered why we are not going that route.

A second option is, if anyone here would like to offer to make a set (for $$ of course) for my friend, using his or her 4Runner as a template, that is also an option.

And of course the last option (which I know my friend is trying to avoid) is just send the measurements to either one of the guys I?ve mentioned above and have them bend some tube and let my buddy locate a welder and do all the painting and misc involved with a DIY kit.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through the same thing when I wanted tube doors. Shaffer's made them for a little while, but nobody bought them, probably because they were $300. I also talked to 4x4 inovations and they mentioned that they had plans to make them someday, but when that day is nobody knows. I finally got a little welder, my only previous access to welding equipment was 100 miles away where I did all the other work to mine, and just made my own.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

cubuff4runner, if it comes down too it, any chance you'd be interested in making a set for my friend? Again, he is still in the early stages of wanting these, but he has expressed enough interest...hence the reason for this thread.

If not, that's cool too. I understand.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
cubuff4runner, if it comes down too it, any chance you'd be interested in making a set for my friend? Again, he is still in the early stages of wanting these, but he has expressed enough interest...hence the reason for this thread.

If not, that's cool too. I understand.

I would like to be able to, but I don't have the time to get the things done to mine that I want to.. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I would like to be able to, but I don't have the time to get the things done to mine that I want to.. Sorry.
That's cool, no hard feelings

Like I said, he's still in the early stages of wanting these, and he has not convinced me 100% just yet he's ready to drop the hammer on buying a set.

I'll keep you updated if he finds some though...tubes on all 4 doors of a 3rd gen truely make it unique.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:21 PM

After riding in a doorless Jeep for the first time the other day, I am very interested in the availability of these too. That would be sweet! V6 power, Toyota ride, and no (well, very little) door!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

for any updates. Nobody?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

i asked cuffbuff about his a couple months ago when he put up his pictures, he said he could send blueprints if they were available, but that was as far as i got. i say long live this thread until we get some answers!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
i say long live this thread until we get some answers!
x2.

Like I said before, Shaffer's Off Road could send me some tube doors that fit a taco, but I need to get some measurements first of a Taco and compare them to that of my 4Runner door. I need to know how many inches it is from the door mounting bracket at the front of the cab, to the latch where the door actually locks. If anyone with a 2004 taco and older (say early 90s to 2004) could send me some of the above measurements, I will compare them to that of my door to see how the 4Runner door compares to that of Taco.

I'm sure the taco doors can't be the same size as that of a 3rd gen 4Runner, but I'm curious to see how close it is.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bring your junk to my "new" shop (moving this weekend) and we'll make some.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Bring your junk to my "new" shop (moving this weekend) and we'll make some.

Like I said, they aint for me. (Brian, could you really see my 4Runner w/ these on there . No way.) But if you're willing to make some, I'll tell my friend that you can make some up for him. I want to check out the new shop anyway.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Bringin this back.. Ummmm, any update??
Old 04-19-2010, 04:03 PM

I know 4xinnovations.com makes them for 3rd gen Tacoma's:

http://4xinnovations.com/pages/guarding/doors.htm
Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM

I would rather do some cut out "half doors"
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM

I'd rather have half doors too! I just don't have the means to make them. Does someone sell 1/2 doors???
Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Why not just have him rip a taco door from the yard and try to mount it on the runner I think you can probably grab one for 30 bones. AND they usually have a 30 day return policy so you could take the door back and not be out any $

I just go doorless, but can't say having a full set of tube doors hasn't crossed my mind. If I did some up I'd do it myself and try to make a cool and different design though.

Last edited by Blue_petersen77; 04-19-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think Taco doors work on our Runners

...just make some of your own

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 PM

those half doors are pretty sweet.. if I ever find a junked out 3rd gen in the bone-yard im def pickin up some doors and starting a half door project. Junked 3rd Gens are hard to find in my neck of the woods though.. I'm down for tube doors, too