Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trxs Mt reveiw

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trxs Mt reveiw

I know a few of you guys have been running these tire for a while now. I think I am getting ready to get a set of 33 12.50 16 to replace my worn dunlops. My question is how are the holding up after putting some miles on them. How loud are they? Are they louder than Goodyears MTR? I read a review the other day in a magazine that rated the trxs over the BF mt, MTR, Xterian. The only ones that did beter in the mud than the trxs was the TSL and baja claw. I dont realy think that is a fair compairison. Not realy apples to apples. They said that the trxs was the second most quit on the tire tested. The BFG won that. I just love the side wall of the Trxs Mt. But I dont want to buy a crappy tire that look cool but wears funny and is so loud and bumpy you dont even enjoy driving. That is what happened on the my last set of regal Mt's.

Well if you guys could tell me what you think and post some pics of your tires if you have them.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Trxs Mt reveiw

Originally posted by 4runner4me
I know a few of you guys have been running these tire for a while now. I think I am getting ready to get a set of 33 12.50 16 to replace my worn dunlops. My question is how are the holding up after putting some miles on them. How loud are they? Are they louder than Goodyears MTR? I read a review the other day in a magazine that rated the trxs over the BF mt, MTR, Xterian. The only ones that did beter in the mud than the trxs was the TSL and baja claw. I dont realy think that is a fair compairison. Not realy apples to apples. They said that the trxs was the second most quit on the tire tested. The BFG won that. I just love the side wall of the Trxs Mt. But I dont want to buy a crappy tire that look cool but wears funny and is so loud and bumpy you dont even enjoy driving. That is what happened on the my last set of regal Mt's.

Well if you guys could tell me what you think and post some pics of your tires if you have them.

Thanks
I read that arcticle, the BFG went farther than the TrXus by a couple of feet. Not starting a flame war here b/c I was wondering the same thing that you asked.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have driven about 8,500 miles on my 31X10.5X15 Trxus M/T's. I like the look the of them on my 'Runner
I can only hear them when I hit around 50-55 mph, but there not that lound. They are soft tred tires and I have noticed some wear on them, but no that much.
I read this before I bought mine.
Link
Old 01-17-2004, 07:23 PM

do your 285s easily clear? because a 33x12.5, is a tad taller, negligible, but its also about an inch wider, 12.5 is about a 305 or 315, so regardless of the tire brand make sure itll fit. also interco tires tend to be the actual stated size, unlike most companies whose tires are actually smaller then advertised
Old 01-17-2004, 09:15 PM

Ive had mine for about 6500 miles and so far they are pretty good. They do howl when you get up to highway speeds but that's to be expected from a mudder. Overall they do what I want and sweet lookin. The tire is pretty heavy compared to others it's size. Just something to keep in mind. Later Doug

Last edited by hhog4dc; 01-17-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:32 PM

I love my Trxus. I'll probalby buy another set sometime in the future. I'll probalby step up to the 33x12.50x16. So far these tires have been good to me. They are very heavy though. The trxus do very well in the mud, they've even gotten me stuck a few times up to the doors
Old 01-18-2004, 06:48 AM

Thanks alot guys. I was going to get the 33x12.50 hopeing it would be close to a 34. I realy want a wider tire than a 285 75 like I have know. I want 35's but I think they will now work at all off road. not enough clearance. After my 2" BL the 285's look like doughnut's on my truck.

How many miles have you put on your tires DATA?

Red Runner how many miles do you think you will get out of yours before you need to get new ones.

(Anyone that has them) would you buy them again?

thanks for all you help

Kyle
Old 01-18-2004, 06:57 AM

I think I've logged about 6k miles on them. As of right now I would by another set....
Old 01-18-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I expect to get 20-25k miles on them. I would get them agian but I am going to get some 33" MTR's next year after I get my lift put on. I going to get the MTR's because I will be off-road racing, and I think the MTR's will hold up better.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:10 AM

I wasn't expecting to see good reviews when I looked at this thread. Maybe we just got a bad set of tires, but last xmas I bought a set of 265/75/R16 Trxus MT's for my girlfriends truck. We're having to change them out now after about 9k miles because they are so badly worn. It's not that all the tread is gone, its just worn funny. I don't mean unevenly like the truck was out of alignment, I had that checked and that was not the problem. It's like every other tread block wore down more quickly than the one it was next to. Makes for a very rough ride. Well, maybe it was just a bad set. I'll stick with the ProComps I have on my 4Runner though. I've got 30k miles on them and still have 40-45% of the tread left.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you experienced cupping which is probably due more to brakes and driving style. I have them and absolutely love them. i have logged about 4,000 or so on mine mostly highway as i live in a college town and don't drive much down here but going home is 250 miles and they just got another 600 miles put on them this last weekend on a ski trip to north carolina.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Really like the way they perform in mud, snow, ice and even rocks.
The only downside I noticed is that they are super heavy tires. My acceleration and braking are way off with these tires and my gas mileage went from about 18.x to 16.x Will have to see how many miles they last, but so far, so good.