Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The true 4RUNNERS - 1984-85.. front SAS, who owns one? Who wants one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The true 4RUNNERS - 1984-85.. front SAS, who owns one? Who wants one?

First, let me say that I think front IFS (also known as independent front suspention aka "it friggin sux" suspension) sucks. I have been doing some reading on 4Runner history, and found out that the only front SAS (solid axle suspension) 4Runners were 1984-1985 models. As such, it seems they deserve their own generation designation. The REAL 4Runner generation, before the dreaded IFS

I owned an 1988 before... I don't really see a 2nd gen as a major improvement (or arguably any improvement) over the original. I would love a front SAS 84-85 one instead now..

So, how many of you are lucky to own 1984-85 only 4Runners with SAS? Please post the mileage too.

Also, those who do not own one, if you had a choice between any brand new 4Runner, would you take the one, the only, the original, the IFS FREE 4RUNNER? I know I probably would Gimme that front SAS!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 PM

i have one... err rather had one

122k original miles

kelly
Old 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by descendents
i have one... err rather had one

122k original miles

kelly
Low mileage! What's become of it? How did you like it?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:14 PM

Flame Away!

IFS isn't that bad. And hey, if you wanna know the truth, trucks came first, so maybe we should be the "the REAL 4x4 generation" They had solid axles since the late 70's. Heck, first gen 4runners are trucks without a back to the cab, and a roll bar in the bed.

Besides, new generations look better, I've been falling in love with 3rd gens lately, and all that is needed is a SAS (solid axle swap) if you want articulation up front. Let me retract that statement, first gen pickups look the best, 80-84 I think was their run.

Don't hate your truck cuz it has IFS, be happy its not a heep or a ford, be happy knowing it'll last 400K miles. And wheel what you got, look around on here, you'll see some IFS trucks flexing better than some of the solid axle trucks out there.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
hate your truck cuz it has IFS, be happy its not a heep or a ford, be happy knowing it'll last 400K miles. And wheel what you got, look around on here, you'll see some IFS trucks flexing better than some of the solid axle trucks out there.
I dont hate my truck, but I dislike the IFS and the lousy H2 compatible gas mileage. As to your point that some IFS trucks flex better, well, it all depends how much money you are willing to spend, doesn't it. I would much prefer to begin working with something that already lends itself to easy lifting, like front SAS

I doubt my 2nd gen will last 400K...those are rare. Sure, with enough money and care you can keep any vehicle going.. the fact that it is a Toyota, originally of higher quality, will make it easier.. Yet I treat my trucks as trucks, functional fun vehicles, and do not plan to throw money at it.

For example, I see people discussing how to best protect their shiny brand new 4Runner paint, and it makes me smile. My personal favorite paint mod : Drive it through a narrow drywash surrounder by bushes.. It gives your 4Runner a nice, brushed up kind of look
Old 09-21-2003, 11:17 PM

80-84 I think was their run.

80-85 .... 85 was last year for Solid Axle and first year for the EFI 22re! best of both worlds!

if anyone is interested in a nice 85, my friend is going to sell his soon! he bought his brothers 97 z71 chevy . NICE! BUT he still has his bad ass fj40!

his 85 is ext cab, clean, RECENTLY rebuilt 22re and trans. 4" procomp lift ( i think procomp) and 33" tires. im not sure when he'll sell it, but i kno he will soon. more info to come.

sorry i kno this is not the for sale forum. i wasnt planning to put in a plug for my friend. hehe
Old 09-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

My brother in law has an 84 that he uses as for a farm truck right now, and I already have dibs on it. I'm not sure which would be more fun, building that one up or putting that axle in my '98.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:24 PM

i was SERIOUSLY thinking of doing a SAS. after some calculations... on price and all... i figured id just keep my truck as it is for a DD or sell and get a chevy... and get a fj40 . you could get an fj40 for a few thousand. not a full restored one but something that you can take out on the trail and mod up real nice.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:28 AM

I almost bought a 1985 pickup with the Solid Axle and EFI, which is the same year that I would love to have a 4runner too. I'd rather have the truck simply because I have a 4runner, and to have the practical use of a truck would be helpful on lowes trips. I would want one completely stock, so I could do all the mods myself.

Chris
Old 09-22-2003, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by Forerunner
Low mileage! What's become of it? How did you like it?
lol he rolled it this past weekend.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Id much rather do a SAS than an engine swap. Those "real" 4Runners as you call them are pretty weak. Why not just get a Toy solid front axle and a 88 or 89 V6?? Now thats the best of both worlds.

FYI Forerunner: most people refer to SAS as "solid axle swap" - converting IFS to a straight axle.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is IFS so bad?

Everyone bad mouths it, but they are people who have not really pushed it with a locker, gears and the like.

Sure, an 85 would be nice, but I can put a solid axle under my 95 and have something that is newer, smoother, more comfortable and almost equally wheelable.

Read up on PBB for the improved solid axle truck versus the Solid axle swapped truck.

SAS = Solid Axle Swap
Old 09-22-2003, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me retract that statement, first gen pickups look the best, 80-84 I think was their run.
79-83 was 1st gen, 84-88 was 2nd gen, 89-95 was 3rd gen

i agree, 1st gen trucks look the best but 2nd gens are a close 2nd
Old 09-22-2003, 09:45 AM

I have had most of the ones you mentioned. I really liked my old 81 truck. Bought an '89 for the V6 in '89 and now have done the Solid Axle Swap. Last year I bought an 85 runner for the factory solid axle as my daily driver. The originals are nice, plus no payments. I sold it a few months ago for a 2000 4runner. Now, I have the best of both worlds. A solid axle '89 truck and a nice 2000 daily driver 4runner!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Ditto what Flygt. said.

I get a good laugh out of all these people who say "IFS blows Donkey Balls" and variations of such. Probably 90% of the people on this board who wheel, and I include myself in this category, are not limited by the fact that they have IFS. How many times have you heard that its more driver than vehicle most of the times anyways? If you're in that 10% who can't tackle really tough trails because you have IFS, then good for you. Fo0r the rest of us, a good driver with some basic mods, some decent protection, are going to have a great time wheeling with our vehicles, whether its a 2nd or 3rd gen 4runner or whatever.

I think there are "web-wheelers" that like to say IFS sucks, only because that's what they've heard from other web-wheelers. Show me pics of trails you've been on where you've had to take the bypass because your IFS rig couldn't make it through, and I'll believe you. Otherwise, shut your cake-hole, wheel the snot out of the vehicle you have, and have fun.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 AM

I have been doing some reading on 4Runner history, and found out that the only front SAS (solid axle suspension) 4Runners were 1984-1985 models. As such, it seems they deserve their own generation designation. The REAL 4Runner generation, before the dreaded IFS
where have you done your reading? nobody calls a SAS a solid axle suspension. Everyone calls it a Solid Axle SWAP. (as POBOY has just informed you)

Besides, just because you have a solid axle doesn't mean you are better than a built IFS. I guarantee that my rig will go through more than my roomie's stock JGC with a solid front. As will a lot of other people's rig's here with an IFS.

So since my rig doesn't have an solid front, it's a "Fake Runner?" I beg to differ.

Last edited by INsr5runner; 09-22-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by INsr5runner

Besides, just because you have a solid axle doesn't mean you are better than a built IFS. I guarantee that my rig will go through more than my roomie's stock JGC with a solid front. As will a lot of other people's rig's here with an IFS.

duH! its a Heep!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So you're saying all the 4Runners after 85 are not TRUE 4Runners? What are they then? I suppose they fall into something similar to the 2Runner catagory?
:pat:
Old 09-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Boy, its starting to get a bit smokey in here....
Old 09-22-2003, 10:53 AM

hm... i wish i had a solid axle. they are just tougher than ifs. . esp the gears. AND with 35s,.. just too much strain on everything. my front diff is blown now.

but yeh, the ifs is cool though. if you had the right kind of ifs lift, not like my drop bracket crap but like a total chaos lift or something where ud get a lot more travel itd be cool. but for my ifs.... i had trouble climbing a rutted hill once, i dunno if its just the IFS but when i was climbing... and my friend was watching me from the top, id loose some traction and m front tires were doing this / / \ \ \ \ / / and he was waving me to stop. hm...

ive been thru some huge rock trails and i did pretty good coz of my clearance but man i had no front articulation. my front end was waving side to side real bad. im planning to keep my truck or get a chevy and then get a fj40 for wheeling!

Quick Reply: The true 4RUNNERS - 1984-85.. front SAS, who owns one? Who wants one?