Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

truck would not start today!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck would not start today!

turn key-then pop noise. then dead air after each try thereafter. let it sit for a min-then retry, smaller noise for two seconds. tried radio-came on after audio was scrambled then became normal...cuts in and out though if i move the fan selector from off to 4.

Noticed a lil white powder around altenator-not sure if its fell from the battery terminal though as the terminals were surrounded by the built up acid.

thinkin altenator? best place to buy-how much? looks like an easy install.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Your alternator won't prevent your truck from starting. Check your battery, then starter and ignition switch. If you've got adequate charge in your battery, I would look at the starter and make sure the connections aren't loose, especially the smaller solenoid wire just above the thicker one that runs directly to the postive side of the battery.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 AM

I'd be sure and get those terminals cleaned up if they were that corroded. A quick fix is a Coke or Pepsi and a tooth brush, it'll eat that corrosion right up. The battery is more likely the culprit than the alternator.

How old is the battery? How many miles on the truck?

Again though, clean up the terminals and try again...if not then hopefully you have a way to jump start it. If it works then dies quickly after...then I'd blame the alternator. It sounds like its just the battery though.

Good luck
Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 AM

huh-not enought juice to start it-but enough to power the radio..I guess i've never had that before. (learned somthin new today abt the altenator-yea!) 98 runner with 119K. could be OG battery.
thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
I'd be sure and get those terminals cleaned up if they were that corroded. A quick fix is a Coke or Pepsi and a tooth brush, it'll eat that corrosion right up. The battery is more likely the culprit than the alternator.

How old is the battery? How many miles on the truck?

Again though, clean up the terminals and try again...if not then hopefully you have a way to jump start it. If it works then dies quickly after...then I'd blame the alternator. It sounds like its just the battery though.

Good luck
This is good advice, same thing happened to me once . The negative lead end on mine was totally corroded
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM

X2 on checking the battery. Check with a volt meter with the key off. You should have 12.6V. Then check again while holding the key in the start position. If it's the battery you'll see the voltage drop way below 9 volts.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by jrock
huh-not enought juice to start it-but enough to power the radio..I guess i've never had that before. (learned somthin new today abt the altenator-yea!) 98 runner with 119K. could be OG battery.
thanks guys!
Yeah man, it doesn't take much to power the radio.

Like bwhyit said...use a voltage meter and you'll really know!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 AM

On the note of cleaning the battery, does one need to remove the negative cable prior to using any liquid for cleaning? I have a spray cleaner that states using water to rinse off everything but never mentions anything about removing battery cables.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kmchby76
On the note of cleaning the battery, does one need to remove the negative cable prior to using any liquid for cleaning? I have a spray cleaner that states using water to rinse off everything but never mentions anything about removing battery cables.
well isnt the corrosion in/on/around the terminals and cables? wouldnt it make sense to take it off and easier to clean, if you are pouring coke on it (great advice on the coke by the way).

just take the battery out, dont be lazy.
its held on by a bolt...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
well isnt the corrosion in/on/around the terminals and cables? wouldnt it make sense to take it off and easier to clean, if you are pouring coke on it (great advice on the coke by the way).

just take the battery out, dont be lazy.
its held on by a bolt...

It has nothing to do with being lazy, I just bought a cleaner and the few pictures it show doesn't indicate the cables or battery being removed. Normally I remove everyhting when I clean the terminals. Just trying to find out if there is a problem using water to rinse off the battery while all the cables are still connected.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM

I don't understand why you would go to the trouble of cleaning it without even checking to see if it's any good???

Would you wash your truck if it had a blown engine?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Cause it is not very hard to clean the battery, takes an entire 3 minutes probably.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by bwhyit
X2 on checking the battery. Check with a volt meter with the key off. You should have 12.6V. Then check again while holding the key in the start position. If it's the battery you'll see the voltage drop way below 9 volts.
If you don't have a volt meter and you don't want to buy one, you could remove the battery and take it to an automotive shop (Sears Automotive) to have the battery tested. If it's dead as a door nail, you can take it from there...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Just trying to find out if there is a problem using water to rinse off the battery while all the cables are still connected.
No, its fine.

Also, if you're gonna take them off, take off the negative first.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by beatenyota
No, its fine.

Also, if you're gonna take them off, take off the negative first.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have an electrical issue.