Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Truck won't start when it's below 40 degrees outside

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start when it's below 40 degrees outside

Like the title says. I don't really understand why though. When it first did that, I checked under the hood and found that one of the wires was disconnected on the coil (don't know how that happened) Before I put it back on, I found it to be very corroded, so I did the best I could to clean it out, before reconecting it. But it didn't help My truck ended up starting the next day when it got a little above 40 degrees, and ran a little rough for the first 5 seconds or so, and perfectly fine for the rest of the day/night.

Everything was fine, so I really didn't bother checking it out at a shop (new wheels/tires, BL cost too much as it it) Until yesturday (tue) when the same thing happened So I took my dads Yota instead, but it started the next day, once again when it was above 40 degrees (unlike the 2 days that it didn't start when it was in the 30's)

My question is, could old wires (maybe plugs too) be causing this? I thought that with old wires it would still start, but just wouldn't run smooth

Before this, the truck ran (still does when it starts) perfectly fine. I would just like to hear your suggestions/experience with this.

Any input guys?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not starting is a pretty wide group of symptoms. Could be anything from ignition switch to starter to cold start injector...and the list goes on. Since you've found this loose wire, played with it and it seemed to start, try using some sort of cleaner on it and its terminal. It may be so dirty and corroded that it's not completing the circuit. If that doesn't seem to cure it, write back and let us know a little more about the symptoms...

Does the engine turn over like normal?
Does the temperature really make a difference when no changes have been made? (possible cold-start injector problem)
When the engine does start, does it run smooth/normal or does it surge and buck until up to operating temp?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 03-18-2004 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:59 AM

gwhayduke where in El Paso do you live?
I had some relatives in Horizon.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Westside...about 45 minutes from Horizon.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
When the engine does start, does it run smooth/normal or does it surge and buck until up to operating temp?

When it does start after a full day of not running (due to not starting) it will run rough for the first 5-10 seconds like I mentioned above, and will run and start perfectly fine afterwards as long as the engine hasn't been shut of overnight, and it's not too cold outside.

Is there a way for a shop to diagnose this while the truck is running fine? I take my truck to a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus, so they do know what they are doing (from my experience) I just think that this problem will be hard to find when the truck is running, unless I tow it to them when it's not starting, but that's a huge waste of money.

Thanks a lot gwhayduke
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM

if I were you I'd try to clean my cold start injector first, did that on mine a few weeks ago and boy was it dirty...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SolidDigital
if I were you I'd try to clean my cold start injector first
How do I do that? I don't even know what it looks like, or where it is

Thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 02:30 PM

If it was me, I would pull the computer codes before diving into the cold start circuit and injector.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, a Toy-Lexus shop should be able to diagnose it. Since you have access to another vehicle, drive it over in the evening so they can check it out in the morning. They will pull the computer codes and that will give them an indication of where the problem is. I have no doubt that your cold start injector is dirty...any Toy with any mileage is going to be dirty simply due to crankcase gases piped in. Though it may not be the root of your problem. You could try what I did...put a couple of bottles of Techron in the tank with your next fillup. Then warmup the engine and pull the hose that runs from the valve cover to the air intake (its about 4 inches from the throttle body). Then get a nice big spray can of carb cleaner and aim it in the hole and spray like mad. It seemed to clean things that hadn't been cleaned before. Afterwards I had to adjust my idle speed down, though I had never adjusted the idle before.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 03-18-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:58 PM

How do I do that? I don't even know what it looks like, or where it is
it's on the opposite side of the intake, held on with two 10mm bolts. If you have a 10mm socket it's pretty easy to get off.
I wiped all the junk off I could with a towel, then sprayed carb cleaner on it.

might also wanna think about replacing your fuel filter if that hasn't been done lately, and a bottle of injector cleaner does wonders sometimes.

good luck man, keep us updated