Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trouble Shifting new to Me Manual Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Shifting new to Me Manual Tranny

I have been working on getting a R150f swapped into my 3rd gen 4runner when my A340F died a little while ago. Here is my thread on TTORA:

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159482

I have gotten everything in and working with a few kinks, but on problem (without having to read that whole thread) is really bothering me. I can't shift into 5th gear. Not with the engine off, not with clutch in, not by slowly trying to sneak it in by letting of the clutch gently. Nothing. HEre is a video of what is going on:

I have been getting thoughts on my TTORA thread, but nothing seems to be solving my 5th gear issue. Man, I would hate to pull the thing back out and try to deal with the guy that sold it to me.... Any input would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 PM

I read your whole ttora thread and Im impressed.You did a clean install from what I can tell and you did some pretty good documentation that will help a lot of members looking to do this swap.

As far as the transmission problem goes,If you have have checked that lever socket bushing,replaced tranny fluid and checked for clearances.I would have to say its something internally.My friends jeep did this and it was his syncros.From the video it looked to have done exactly as his did.

Advice on the situation, I know the guy isn't giving you exactly what you are wanting but you have to think of it from his point of view.Assuming that he truly had no knowledge of the problem it has,he also has no proof that you didn't break it during the installation.In all honesty you very well could have knocked something loose in there during the moving/installation process.I think his offer of another transmission is a very acceptable trade. Sure it'll cost you maybe 100 bucks to go get it,but like the other member mentioned you can sell the old one as a core or keep it and have it rebuilt as a back up.I would go get the transmission and get all the right kind of documents and warranty wrote on paper maybe even a video of it shifting into gears this time.If this transmission is junk too you should have a pretty good case in small claims court.

Either way I wish you luck and hope all goes well for you.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, if he's offering a new tranny to swap it out with, that's pretty fair. Yes, you have wasted some of your time, but that pretty much goes with all auto parts, especially used ones - it happens. Nice thread too and good work. This is a worthwhile swap if you can DIY, otherwise it would cost a grip!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I wish mine was auto.... Only in traffic.. Haha. Good luck with the fix