95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Thermostat discontinued...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Thermostat discontinued...

Have been checking around for the TRD thermostat out here in the Denver area, and have been told that it has been discontinued. I also called Camelback Toyota in Phoenix and they confrimed that as well. Apparently there have bee problems with it not opening correctly at the right temperature and TRD is reworking the thermostat to correct the problem. Has anyone else heard that and if so, when TRD will release the improved model?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't had any problems with mine. Apparently it's been opening at the right temperature because it did what it said it would - solve my pinging.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by HaveBlue
I haven't had any problems with mine. Apparently it's been opening at the right temperature because it did what it said it would - solve my pinging.
How does your heater work in the Winter?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

It works fine
Old 09-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't heard of any problems. I had a hard time finding mine on a online dealership, so I resorted to ebay.
I haven't had time to install it yet. I will probably do that this spring.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:14 AM
Away

On my truck, with the TRD Thermo and the FLX-210, the truck runs at near stock temperature around town and around 175* while cruising on the highway. On the trail, it runs at 190* with the FLX-210 running constantly. So, there isn't much of a difference between the stock thermo and the TRD thermo when used with the FLX-210 in most driving situations on a NA engine. I have the FLX-210 set to come on at 190*, which is the temperature that the engine would run at with the stock fan and thermostat setup.

When the TRD thermo is used with the Stock Pulley-Driven Clutch Fan, the truck runs about 175-180* ALL the time, which is about 10-15* cooler than the stock Thermo. When adding the FLX-210 to the mix, the cooling system efficiency is reduced compared to the stock setup.

I'd say if you are supercharged and want to use the TRD Thermo to help with your pinging, don't get the FLX-210 unless you set the Thermostatic control to come on at 175* and don't mind listening to it roar all the time, which it certainly will. With the TRD thermo and the stock fan setup, you'll run about 10-15* cooler than the stock thermo on the supercharged engine, or around 185-190*, which is about the stock temperature of a NA engine.

By the way, the data regarding the temperatures was gathered using a BR-2. For more information about this stuff, see this thread.

As for heating issues in the winter, the TRD thermo and the stock fan will make the heater less hot, but it still will do the job. It just isn't as toasty, so you need to crank up the heater temperature control a bit more than usual. If you're supercharged with this combination, I don't think there'd be any difference...

My .02
Dr. Z

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 09-26-2003 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:32 AM
TOR

TRD Thermostat

I just checked with my TRD rep and he said there are no known problems with the thermostats and that there are no plans to discontinue. They have them in stock and I can get them for everyone that needs them. I just installed one last night in my truck and it is running just fine. Oh she purrs now, chanegd the oil, coolant, tranny fluid, turned my rotors, and replaced the belts all within an hour and a half. God I love working at a dealership when you need to work on your vehicle!

Todd

Last edited by TOR; 09-26-2003 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Tor,

How much are they? Camelback Toyota is charging $55.06 plus shipping on thier site. Here's the link, part is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.camelbacktoyotaparts.com/...71&TopID=71446

BTW, these guys said that the thermostat was discontinued so I'm wary of doing business with them.

-Rich
Old 09-26-2003, 07:49 AM
TOR

Well, I don't know where they got the incorrect information but that is not true I can assure. As for the price here you go fellas, I will give them to anyone that wants them for $60 to your front door. Let me know who wants one and we can get it started.

Todd

BTW, it's not much but I will throw in a free TRD sticker emblem with each order.

Last edited by TOR; 09-26-2003 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Cool...

I'm in on this. Let me know what you need for purchase and shipping and I can PM you the info.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Cool...

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
I'm in on this. Let me know what you need for purchase and shipping and I can PM you the info.
Just call him, its faster and easier. And it's a toll free #.

Todd is a great guy to work with.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Duh, just noticed the number.:pat:

Will call next week when I have some money in the bank!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:51 AM
TOR

TRD Thermostat

Thanks Christian, Rwmorrisonjr just give me a call at your convenience we are open 7 to 7 every day Central time. I will be happy to help you out.

Todd

Last edited by TOR; 09-26-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Are there benefits to this on a NA engine? Sooner or later I plan to be S/C'd and I want to get one of these before they completely disappear. If it wouldn't hurt to install one now, I'm interested.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 AM
TOR

TRD Thermostat

Definitely won't hurt you to put one in now. I would highly encourage you to do it now if you plant to install it yourself. Reason being, with the SC on it you have to remove the dynamic tensioner to get to it which is just more of a hassle. Let me know if you would like one.

Todd
Old 09-26-2003, 04:24 PM

FYI:

I bought my Runner from Camelback after visiting 4 other dealers here in Phoenix and they are the best in sales and even better in service than any of the other dealers. They have always treated me with respect and respected my knowledge about Toyotas. The other dealers treated me like I didn't know what I was talking about and always try to over charge me.

Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Todd, I'm definitely down then. Sounds like a good price also. Should I just call the 800 number then or get it through you here?

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but I plan to install myself. Is it a very difficult process?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 PM

Okay, I need some advice on this subject. As one of the few supercharged girls on this site, just what does this thermostat do? And do I need one? I'd appreciate any advice you can share. Thanks
Old 09-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

After reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts about the TRD thermo. It sounds like it should only be used as a last resort from a tuning standpoint, and may actually do more harm than good in terms of engine wear as well as gas mileage.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Toyota Punk
After reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts about the TRD thermo. It sounds like it should only be used as a last resort from a tuning standpoint, and may actually do more harm than good in terms of engine wear as well as gas mileage.
I just posted on that thread so you can read my suggestion for "why I wouldn't do it" over there.

It is fine to run the thermostat as long as you understand that it is a bandaid and you will lose gas mileage.

Quick Reply: TRD Thermostat discontinued...