Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Supercharger for 2000 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Supercharger for 2000 4Runner

Hi all,

I'm giving some thought about installing the TRD S/C in my car.
I would like to know all the details on this subject...
how much hp gain is obtain,?????
write ups about the installation???
Pros and Cons????
And everything else that will help me make up my mind about it.

Thanks,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd
97' Supra TT, 6spd
Old 10-07-2005, 05:45 AM

hey there, try using the search feature, there is TONS of solid info on this forum.

Also
http://www.gadgetonline.com/4run.htm

and scroll down to the SCer links below.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

www.urdusa.com for all your fuel mods
Old 10-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by maguirre
Hi all,

I'm giving some thought about installing the TRD S/C in my car.
I would like to know all the details on this subject...
how much hp gain is obtain,?????
write ups about the installation???
Pros and Cons????
And everything else that will help me make up my mind about it.

Thanks,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd
97' Supra TT, 6spd
There's a ton of info on this and I've researched the threads. Leave it to this: it will take in my estimates about $5k to make the sucker work really well. This would be the supercharger, 7th injector, fuel management, pulleys, upgraded auto trans (if applicable), piggy-back system to ensure proper mixture of fuel and air (maybe this is the fuel management, I'm not sure) and install for all. Not to mention 92 or 93 octane gas going forward. Headers would also help, which could you set up back $400 to $800 just for parts and a huge headache for install. Search and you'd be amazed at all the info.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

BTW, there are a few guys on here that eat this stuff up. Off the top of my head, look for midiwall, noliwan, noliwan's buddy Dave w/ the Taco (can't remember his name on the board), bamachem even had one for awhile.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Why do you want the s/c???

I ask b/c it is not a bolt on. the s/c is and is an easy install, but fuel mods are neccesary if you want a reliable vehicle that will last. I have about $1500 in the s/c. Maybe $1200 in the URD mods---basic kit, wideband O2 sensor and PREMIUM GAS. I am not that concerned with premium. I work from home so my miles are low. Plus, I have a motorcycle and the wife has a 99 4r. I get about and 15-18 in town MPG and 17-20 MPG on the highway.

I got the s/c b/c of the 285s and at the time didn't want to regear. i like the s/c, I like the power it makes, but it is something that takes some tweaking to get dialed in. However, you are close to MD and Gadget can tune your truck (highly recommended to get max. ouptut of the s/c).

I have thought about pulling mine, regearing and running 87 octace, but....It is negligible at this point. I have 4.30 already and don't have a lead foot, so the s/c does everyhting i want===Power when I need it. Truck full of wife, dogs, camping gear up and down mountain roads is why I really like it. Plus, merging through traffic.

The s/c itself can be installed in a few hours. The URD kit is about a solid day.

JimmyK is currentyl doing this install. It is much easier b/c of the URD support and knowledge.

it is expensive, but not 5k
Old 10-07-2005, 06:51 AM

"97' Supra TT, 6spd"

Forget the supercharger, just get the turbo from www.urdusa.com
Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tour4fun
"97' Supra TT, 6spd"
Good catch...

maguirre, you said "thought about installing the TRD S/C in my car"... do you really mean the Supra or are you asking about your SR5?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
maguirre, you said "thought about installing the TRD S/C in my car"... do you really mean the Supra or are you asking about your SR5?
I meant I was thinking of supercharging my SR5,
I was just listing my other Toyota.

Sorry for the confusion,

maguirre
Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 AM

Ahh.. okay... then what everyone else said.

There's a LOT of info on the forum, and possibly the best place to start is Gadget's site (url's above) to get an idea of what you're in for.

Like other folks have said - it's a 3 hour job and $1800 (depending on the deal you can find) to install the S/C itself. It's another $800 and another day to do it right so that you don't grenade your engine (adding fuel and timing mods). It's another $1000 and another day to get max peformance (adding headers, highflow cat and exhaust). You won't need the tranny work since you're a 5spd.

Once the the S/C's on, then it's an extra $3/fillup ($0.20/gallon for premium fuel, 16 gallon tank) for the life of the truck.

The performance gain is awesome, and a lot of fun.

Now, if money's not an issue, then look into what URD (url above) is doing with turbos. With the S/C we're getting 6.5psi (stock) to 9psi of boost. URD is working with turbo systems pushing 28psi. That install won't be for the faint of heart, and it will be $$$$.

Last edited by midiwall; 10-07-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Hey Mark
I may be passing through mid November on my way to Olympic NP if you want to check my rig out
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

it is expensive, but not 5k[/QUOTE]

If you add up midiwall's prices: 1800 for the s/c, $800 for fuel mods, $1000 for headers and stuff, that's already $3600. I can't remember where I saw the tranny work but I have an auto and I thought it was close to $1000. This brings you to $4600. Since I can't even put on bolt-on stuff myself, I figured labor would bring me past the $5k mark.

Why would I want one? Easy, it makes the truck go faster and I think it's cool. Not a great reason but in reality, why does anyone spend extra $ on mods for their cars? IT'S FUN!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the $1,800 supercharger yields about 80 hp. How much power do you gain by spending another $1,000 on headers and exhaust?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by tour4fun
Hey Mark
I may be passing through mid November on my way to Olympic NP if you want to check my rig out
Dood... you BETCHA'!

Drop me an email or a PM as you know for sure.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1

Why would I want one? Easy, it makes the truck go faster and I think it's cool. Not a great reason but in reality, why does anyone spend extra $ on mods for their cars? IT'S FUN!!!!!!!
I didn't mean anyhting bad. Just that there is more than the s/c itself. Your numbers are correct (damn I spent that much ) Yes it is fun. Do it right with fuel mods and you will be very happy for a long time
Old 10-07-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
If you add up midiwall's prices: 1800 for the s/c, $800 for fuel mods, $1000 for headers and stuff, that's already $3600. I can't remember where I saw the tranny work but I have an auto and I thought it was close to $1000. This brings you to $4600. Since I can't even put on bolt-on stuff myself, I figured labor would bring me past the $5k mark.
Yeup, I figure the the tranny work at about $800-900.

John (from IPT) charges $495 for the work. To that you have to add shipping both ways, he gives one day turn-around with advance notice, but your truck is down for that time period, so most people opt for next-day air. Depending on where you are, that's about $100 _each way_. So you're at $700 right there. Now, if you don't have another vehicle to drive, add in a 4 day car rental. Then add 12 quarts of tranny fluid.

Oh... and if you're not doing this work yourself, then you've got labor to pull the valve body, and probably vehicle storage since it can't run with the VB out.

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
So the $1,800 supercharger yields about 80 hp. How much power do you gain by spending another $1,000 on headers and exhaust?
Hmmm... 30-40 (don't forget a highflow cat).

And, you should be adding the fuel mods before you worry about exhaust work. There's the safety factor plus another 30+hp in there.

And we haven't even talked about a methanol misting system ($500-900) which will get you another 40+hp.

Creating power ain't cheap.

Last edited by midiwall; 10-07-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Or, you can just do what I did:

Bought a supercharged 97 4Runner for $6000.
Pulled the SC'r and sent it to Magnuson for a complete rebuild ($650).
Put the 4Runner back to stock (the guy included all the stock parts).
Sold the 4Runner for $7300.
Purchased Walbro 190, 2-step colder plugs, 170 thermo, Perfect Power SMT 6, and some miscellaneous odds and ends ($550).

So, minus the expense to fly to CA, pick up the Runner, drive it home, clean it up, and advertise it...I broke completely even and now have a fast ride to show for it. With Mark and Johnny's help, I was able to finally get the SMT 6 installed and completely eliminate the HG/LR ping with this set-up.

Premium gas is the only crappy part, but I really don't drive enough for it to matter.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 10-07-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Premium gas is the only crappy part, but I really don't drive enough for it to matter.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but as long as you have the fuel upgrades and a stock pulley, I think you could get away with running mid-grade fuel if you've got water/methanol injection.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but as long as you have the fuel upgrades and a stock pulley, I think you could get away with running mid-grade fuel if you've got water/methanol injection.
The s/c requires premium PERIOD. If you value your engine and care about reliability then use what is required.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
The s/c requires premium PERIOD. If you value your engine and care about reliability then use what is required.
Ditto.

In theory, yes you could crank your timing back far enough to kill the ping and/or trim the methanol injection so that it's on ALL the time (it usually comes on gradually under boost) which will increase the effective octane rating, thus slowing the burn, thus reducing the ping, but... dude, you're talking about saving $1.50 per TANK to run mid-grade fuel on an engine that you just dropped upwards of $5000 into.

Run premium or don't put the S/C on.

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger for 2000 4Runner