Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD/OME lift, which shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRD/OME lift, which shocks?

I see Steve is selling the TRD/OME lift setup with Tokico Trekmaster shocks, front and rear. The question is, should I run these or spend the extra money for the Tacoma Double Cab Tokico blue shocks for the front and OME shocks for the rear?

Ken
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paddlenbike
I see Steve is selling the TRD/OME lift setup with Tokico Trekmaster shocks, front and rear. The question is, should I run these or spend the extra money for the Tacoma Double Cab Tokico blue shocks for the front and OME shocks for the rear?

Ken
from what I hear, the Taco DCs are the way to go. I want to get rid of my set up and go with that...but certain constraints stop me.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Im using the trekmasters with that lift and I really like them. Keep in mind that the springs are slightly longer and stiffer hence the few inches of lift that you get. Bottom line is whichever you choose your ride is gonna be a little bit stiffer than before.

My understanding is that the TRDs are stiff in the beginning of travel, then they get soft in the middle, and again stiff at full stuff. These are good if you are going to go really fast in the desert or maybe on potholes, but maybe not so good if doing any slow wheeling.

I would save my money for other stuff, like I said the trekmasters are doing good for me. I'm very happy with them and wouldn't consider any others at this point.

I am not the absolute authority on this subject, so if you want the pro advice ask Steve.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

I thought Steve switched back to only Tociko double cab struts up front...?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
I thought Steve switched back to only Tociko double cab struts up front...?

His website still shows the Trekmasters for both the front and rear applications.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Steve uses Trekmasters up front and stock LC 80 shocks in the rear.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I must be crazy, I remember a post by him saying that he would be switching back to the Tocikos because the dual valved strut really makes a difference. I've searched for that post, but can't find it. I know I read it, does anyone else remember it?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
I must be crazy, I remember a post by him saying that he would be switching back to the Tocikos because the dual valved strut really makes a difference. I've searched for that post, but can't find it. I know I read it, does anyone else remember it?
Tokico makes the Trekmaster shock (strut) and I believe they also make the TRD struts too.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 PM

I am looking at his "system #7," found half way down this webpage.

Although, of course, I am doing it slightly different to modify the lift to get my desired result--reducing the lift from 2.25" to 1.75". I will not be using the bamachem spacer and extended studs up front and will be running OME 906 coils in the rear (2" lift) rather than the 2.75" lift OME 890s.

Only the 3.5" rear lift (using LC coils) use LC shocks.

UNR--I seem to remember him saying the same thing--which is why I was thinking of going with the OEM Tacoma DC shocks.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

why do you want only 1.75 inches of lift? I think you are going to end up with your front sticking up higher than your rear. And for a 1000$ if all you want is that small lift, maybe you would be better off getting a body lift.

edit: BTW, I have #7 on my runner, its great, and I think im getting more than 2" in the front with the top outs FWIW. Still not clear on why you would want only 1.75 inches. You may as well leave #7 as is, it is already the "mild" lift.

Last edited by spaugh; 09-26-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 AM

I only want to run 265/75R16 tires (32s), which look funny with more than about 1.5" of lift. I also want my lift to be level, not raked in the back like many of the lifts I see on this forum.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I only want to run 265/75R16 tires (32s), which look funny with more than about 1.5" of lift. I also want my lift to be level, not raked in the back like many of the lifts I see on this forum.
You don't need any lift to run those tires, I used to have them. And, #7 is already designed to give you a level sitting lift, don't mess with it IMHO. I think maybe you are better off just getting a 1" body lift and call it a day. Take your 900$ and get something else.

Also, 32's won't "look funny" if you get a nice tread like some MTs or nice heafty AT's even with 2" of lift. In fact, you would prabably be really happy with them and the #7 lift. I am running 33's with this lift, and I had to do ALOT of trimming to stop from rubbing at full stuff. This wouldn't be necessary for you. Just a thought.

Last edited by spaugh; 09-26-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM

To make a long story short, I can only go up slightly over 2" in height before my truck will no longer fit in my garage. The tire change alone is 0.25" and a 1.75" lift will barely get me in the garage.

I do need the lift (see my gastank thread), but will go with the PP 1.5" lift springs if I can't get my desired result with the TRD/OME setup. The PP setup is a little stiff, which is why I was thinking of trying the TRD setup.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Those pesky garages. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM

I really need to get a photo...it's a one-car garage built in 1926 along with the house. Against the front wall is a stack of crated items (storage) and with the 4Runner's front bumper touching this stuff, the door closes with only a quarter-inch to spare. Height wise, the same issue applies.

Anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

BTW off topic, but where do you wheel in Sac? I grew up in Stockton.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by spaugh
BTW off topic, but where do you wheel in Sac? I grew up in Stockton.
Most of my wheeling is done out of town. There are places like Prairie City OHV, but I generally use my truck for adventure travel rather than just to get it muddy. My last three trips were to Death Valley and Mammoth with the Yotatech group and last weekend I went with the Xterra group to run the Barney-Riley trail--a fun trail with an awesome area to camp along the Carson River. hehe--my fuel tank is a little smaller now as a result.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM

To make a long story short, I can only go up slightly over 2" in height before my truck will no longer fit in my garage. The tire change alone is 0.25" and a 1.75" lift will barely get me in the garage.

I do need the lift (see my gastank thread), but will go with the PP 1.5" lift springs if I can't get my desired result with the TRD/OME setup. The PP setup is a little stiff, which is why I was thinking of trying the TRD setup.

I thought that if you used the tundra coils with out the top out spacer you got about 1.5 to 1.75 inches of lift. At least I hope thats the case. I got a pair sitting here with some OME 906's and N91S/N86 that Im going to put on this weekend. Ill let you know how much lift I get.

-Simon
Old 09-27-2006, 05:58 AM

I always thought that you will get a 2" lift without the spacer, and 2.5 with the spacer. There is a picture of nrgetic99's ride near the bottem of page 2 on this thread. He is running the tundra up front with 890's in the back with 32's.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...=oem+lift+pics

His truck looks great. I have already ordered lift #7, and excited to get it on!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I thought that if you used the tundra coils with out the top out spacer you got about 1.5 to 1.75 inches of lift. At least I hope thats the case. I got a pair sitting here with some OME 906's and N91S/N86 that Im going to put on this weekend. Ill let you know how much lift I get.

-Simon
I think everything you said above is correct. Be sure to report back when it's finished; that is the exact combination I've been curious about! Did you buy it from Steve?

Ken

Quick Reply: TRD/OME lift, which shocks?