Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD exhaust rusting.. anyone else?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD exhaust rusting.. anyone else?

All,
I was under my 97 when i noticed the tail pipe end is rusting away like no body's business.
The "TRD " is rusting through.. this is the 2nd complete exhaust that my dealer has installed.I think there is some kind of Guarantee or something but I'm not sure they will replace it this time.I have heard of them being replaced multiple times. I'm curious anyone else have theirs replaced more than once?
Thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i always tell people not to spend the money on the TRD as i did. same thing happened to me, bought it thinking it was stainless and i would never have to worry about rust, but the welds are not stainless and the tip is definitely not stainless! mine rusted through like crazy, the "TRD" on the tip was just bare metal and rusted immediately until it rusted through completely a little later on. maybe in a nicer climate it would last longer, but here in iowa it was gone within about 18 months. i lopped off the old tip and had a stainless tip welded on, still the possibility of the tip rusting off at the weld but it's worked out fine for me so far. TRD = waste of $$$
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat,
Thanks for the reply. Well like i said this is the 2nd TRD exhaust I'VE HAD INSTALLED. i was able to look under the vehicle and believe it or not all looks to be ok.. the last time it rusted the TRD part of the tip was fine it was the Bend(before the tip) that started to rust.. This time it's the TRD tip thats not long for this world. I brought it back to the dealer and after a few minutes of chatter. they decided that someone had to look at it and make a decision. i left and brought it back this time they told me that they are sorry that it rusted and when would i like to come in and get another one free of charge.I will bring this in again and see if they will take the bait a 3rd time. I dont have a problem with going back and fourth all the time since they are paying for it. it they dont want to replace it this time.. i'll make some noise and then if that does not work i'll look into having another tip welded on. the rest of the System sounds fine.. Normally exhausts systems are pretty cheap anyhow-even the nice ones.. what do you suggest? I should also mention that this is the first full season of towing my jet ski- salt water. My truck for the most part has never been exposed to salt water in it's life... i'm sure that this did not help the situation any.
I wont tell them that.