Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Exhause quick question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Exhaust quick question

part number 00602-17400-011 for 96-99 single cat back...is this the one with the straight back pipe or the side exit ? also i can get this shipped for 519, anyone know where i may be able to get it cheaper??? thanks!
Old 02-24-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see you are getting no responses ...

The -11 designates the system for the single cat system, -14 is for the dual-cat systems ('01-'02). As for the tailpipe exit location, from what I gather, it depends upon who the mfg is of the system you get. It sounds like the price you got was a good one. I think the list price is $650.00.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:22 AM

thanks manymods, i will call and see if they can specify the exit pipe...
Old 02-24-2003, 10:06 AM

FYI: for those interested in this exhaust, i got an email back from toyotaparts4u.com confirming it is a side exit exhaust.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:34 AM

They stopped making the rear exit exhaust system a couple of years ago when they stopped using Borla to make the TRD system
Old 02-24-2003, 09:23 PM

i have the borla TRD muffler....i wouldnt get that one because of one reason...if you have your rear window down..you can smell the exhaust from the rear location of the muffler...i would get the side muffler instead ....sometimes the smell from the exhaust is very annoying
Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by x4RunnerTM7x
i have the borla TRD muffler....i wouldnt get that one because of one reason...if you have your rear window down..you can smell the exhaust from the rear location of the muffler...i would get the side muffler instead ....sometimes the smell from the exhaust is very annoying
That is exactly what I said a long time ago as a caution to you guys who are thinking of using a rear exit tailpipe.

In MA, the law states that the exhaust cannot exit within 36" of any functioning window; however, with a hatchback rear design like our cars or any stationwagon a vortex condition is created that swirls the exhaust gases around. You smelled fumes BUT ... carbon monoxide is oderless and it can KILL you. I was driving across country in my wagon with rear exiting tips and I kept feeling sick and falling asleep. I had to close my rear vent windows but the fumes still found their way in through poorly sealing weather stripping on the tailgate window. I implore everyone to be very careful and do not triffle with this opinion. Trust me here.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Who is making the TRD exhaust now if it isn't Borla, and is this exhaust worth the money? I was thinking about getting it, but with just a cat-back it doesn't sound like you'd gain that much in performance (not without changing headers as well), and for just the sound enhancement, would be better just getting a new muffler.

Old 02-25-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by ManyMods
That is exactly what I said a long time ago as a caution to you guys who are thinking of using a rear exit tailpipe.

In MA, the law states that the exhaust cannot exit within 36" of any functioning window; however, with a hatchback rear design like our cars or any stationwagon a vortex condition is created that swirls the exhaust gases around. You smelled fumes BUT ... carbon monoxide is oderless and it can KILL you. I was driving across country in my wagon with rear exiting tips and I kept feeling sick and falling asleep. I had to close my rear vent windows but the fumes still found their way in through poorly sealing weather stripping on the tailgate window. I implore everyone to be very careful and do not triffle with this opinion. Trust me here.
Damn I love the dual rear exhaust look. That does make sense though...neat-o exhaust = not worth dying for. I have my rear window open too much to not worry about that...grr...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:28 PM

about the muffler making power...i had the muffler on b4 i got my supercharger...it seemed to me, that i lost torque and didnt gain much HPs...but when i installed my supercharger i can feel the power alot more then without it....my freind has a supercharger without a muffler and i can see that his truck isnt as responsive when you push on some gas...so yes a muffler works without a header but you would need something more then just a muffler system..just think of a muffler as a "helper" to added performence parts...thats how i see it....N/A motors will lose back pressure from larger piping...
Old 02-26-2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by x4RunnerTM7x
about the muffler making power.....just think of a muffler as a "helper" to added performence parts...thats how i see it....N/A motors will lose back pressure from larger piping...
As far as an HP gain, the muffler adds very little (+/- 3HP claimed?). If you want to increase HP w/o adding headers, have an export pipe made to replace your Cat. If your Cat has an O2 sensor bung, you can have them made with them installed. I use export pipes with my Try-Y's and just slip the Cats in when I have to go before the State. Talk to Stan about that. I think I am correct in what I am saying, although the Greenie's will hate me.

Anytiime you use a pipe that is too large for the HP the engine is producing you are going to effect the performance in a negative way. Believe it or not, anything under 400HP at the crank will flow efficiently through a 2.25"ID pipe. You want a certain amount of back pressure. I believe that the TRD exhaust has a negative effect on the performance of my SC, with the stock tuning. I jut don't have the will to take the damn thing off. Given the advent of single and dual Cats, mufflers are less restrictive.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Ryd

No cat = bad emissions...

Interesting, so the "export pipe" is basically a straight pipe bolted on in place of the cat? So you'd need a couple flanges welded on, nd the bung for the O2, and you're good to go? What's the effect on exhaust note?

How much does the cat really help clean up emissions? Anybody have real world data?

Last edited by Ryd; 02-27-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:01 AM

Re: No cat = bad emissions...

Originally posted by Ryd
Interesting, so the "export pipe" is basically a straight pipe bolted on in place of the cat? So you'd need a couple flanges welded on, nd the bung for the O2, and you're good to go?

That's affirmative. The other thing you can do is find some doner cats and gut them. A lot of shops won't make an export pipe because of the law. Another more PC name for this pipe is "test pipe."

What's the effect on exhaust note?

Noticeable.

How much does the cat really help clean up emissions? Anybody have real world data?
I can't answer that, but you would fail the sniffer test in an inspection.