Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD brake rotors for 3rd gen Pickup? Need them ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD brake rotors for 3rd gen Pickup? Need them ASAP!

Hey guys, my brake pads and rotors are getting pretty worn, and I was wondering if Toyota makes TRD rotors and/or brake pads for my Pickup.

If I'm going to get new brakes that will stay on for a while, then I might as well get the best.

If TRD parts aren't available, then do you guys reccomend any other rotors/pads besides Toyota factory ones?

PS: Where can I find steel brake lines as well? And do drum brakes need to be replaced often?

Thanks

Last edited by Juggalo; 06-10-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Yota rotors tend to warp over time. Many have used Brembos and swear by them. OEM brake pads are good for those rotors, but tend to create a lot of dust. Not sure what pads others use. The drums won't need to replace as often as the pads, but it's good to take a look at them to check out their condition.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
Yota rotors tend to warp over time. Many have used Brembos and swear by them. OEM brake pads are good for those rotors, but tend to create a lot of dust. Not sure what pads others use. The drums won't need to replace as often as the pads, but it's good to take a look at them to check out their condition.
If I had the money I would go with the Brembo Rotors and Ceramic Pads.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by DavidA
If I had the money I would go with the Brembo Rotors and Ceramic Pads.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks man

My MX-6 had Brembo rotors with EBC green stuff pads, and steel brake lines. Needless to say, it stopped on a dime, and saved my ass several times at high speeds. (cost $1,000 just for parts)

Anybody have a link to where I can get Brembo rotors, good ceramic brake pads, and steel brake lines?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

I heard a while back that the TRD pads were made by performance friction. I ended up getting the performance friction pads from Autozone and just turned my rotors. I did that last year and can already feel a slight warpage in my rotors.

I may have to go with Brembo rotors next time.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Juggalo
Thanks man

My MX-6 had Brembo rotors with EBC green stuff pads, and steel brake lines. Needless to say, it stopped on a dime, and saved my ass several times at high speeds. (cost $1,000 just for parts)

Anybody have a link to where I can get Brembo rotors, good ceramic brake pads, and steel brake lines?

Thanks
Go look and see if you have banjo nuts or flare nuts. Then check out AOR (clicky). I recommend calling to make sure you get it right. Plus you can specify how much lift (if any) you want.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:50 AM

www.tirerack.com has all those parts you want for your 4Runner

I ordered cermaic brake pads for our Subaru from them and the Brembo rotors for my 4Runner from them. Great customer service.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by calg3
www.tirerack.com has all those parts you want for your 4Runner

I ordered cermaic brake pads for our Subaru from them and the Brembo rotors for my 4Runner from them. Great customer service.
Thanks man, I appreciate it

Now come the decisions, do I go with the normal Brembo rotors (plain vented) or do I get the dimpled and slotted Powerslot?

Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Juggalo
Thanks man, I appreciate it

Now come the decisions, do I go with the normal Brembo rotors (plain vented) or do I get the dimpled and slotted Powerslot?

Any suggestions?
I can tell you from my personal experience, it is up to you what you decide to do. Since my truck came with the 15" wheels, I have the smaller front rotors. I was trying to improve the braking situation so I went with the TRD carbon brake pads that I got on special. Those work great. I also bought a set of the dimpled drilled rotors, not Power Slots, a set from JC Whitney. They warped in the first month I had them. They only had a two week warranty. They cannot be turned and are side specific. So now I am using a set of Wearever rotors, only $30 each. They are working fine and have a year warranty. The dimpled, drilled rotors did not stop any better for me. I am sticking with standard rotors.