Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission weirdness

Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission weirdness

Hi all you have a great forum going here. I was wondering if you might help me out with a problem I'm having. I searched and I couldn't find an answer. Sorry if it’s a repost.

Specs - 92 2WD 4Runner 6 cylinder w/Auto transmission that was rebuilt about 6 mos. ago.

Problem - Runs fine for about 15 to 20 minutes and then it has problems shifting from first to second and the OverDrive light starts flashing on and off.

I took it back to the shop where I got the transmission fixed and they checked it out and wrote me a nice little letter saying that the problem was not in the transmission. The transmission fluid is at a normal level and translucent color, not muddy. There are no problems at higher speeds/higher gears. The only other problems I have with it are that the A/C does not work and the parking break light is always on even though the break is off.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 08:48 AM

Does the check engine light come on?

Sounds like transmission probs to me.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 AM

No, the check engine light comes on before I start it, but once its started, the light stays off.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:51 AM

Pull the transmission codes. Same as the engine codes just watch the O/D light instead. Sounds like it ma be a plugged or bad solenoid. Chances are that they didn't replace the solenoids if they were checking out okay at the time. Could also be that it was adjusted wrong, or a spring has crapped out. Pull the codes and go from there. Let us know what you get for a code.

Steve
Old 03-01-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Babypig
Pull the transmission codes. Same as the engine codes just watch the O/D light instead. Sounds like it ma be a plugged or bad solenoid. Chances are that they didn't replace the solenoids if they were checking out okay at the time. Could also be that it was adjusted wrong, or a spring has crapped out. Pull the codes and go from there. Let us know what you get for a code.

Steve
Thanks Babypig,
I just saw your other post on the subject. How do I "Pull the codes"? And how do i find out what they mean? Is that covered in the Chilton guide?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Somebody throw a brick at me if I'm wrong!

Here goes.

I had this same EXACT problem in my 87 Pathfinder. There was some problem with the vacuum modulator on my tranny ($75). Now, I have no idea if the Toyota would have this too, but that just what happened to me. Cheap, easy fix.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
Somebody throw a brick at me if I'm wrong!

Here goes.

I had this same EXACT problem in my 87 Pathfinder. There was some problem with the vacuum modulator on my tranny ($75). Now, I have no idea if the Toyota would have this too, but that just what happened to me. Cheap, easy fix.
DUCK, a brick is coming!
There is no modulator in Toyota transmissions.

I agree with what was said before- pull the codes and go from there.

-John
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

AHHH.. I'll go sit in a corner now.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:18 PM

I would check the codes too. I have read alot about solenoids going bad causing these problems.

As far as getting codes pulled, I believe you can do this at Autozone. I know they do engine code checks, not sure on transmission codes though.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 PM

Put a jumper(wire,I use a paper clip) in the te1 and te spaces in the diag box under the hood on the passenger side. Do thid with the key off then once it is done, turn the key to on. You dont have to start the truck. Sometimes you may have to hit the gas pedal to get it to go. Watch the number of times the o/d light flashes. there will be a one second delay between numbers. so if it flashes six times fast and then stops for a second and then flashes twice, you would have a code 62. The check engine light will flash also and is read the same way. Check any codes that gives as well cause it could even be an out of spec TPS. Can't hurt to know whats going on.

Steve
P.S. It should also be in the chilton guide but I'm not a hundred % on that as I have the haynes. Look under trouble codes?

Last edited by Babypig; 03-01-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:01 PM

Ahh.... The TPS. My friend's 88 jeep cherokee (which uses an aisin transmission) wasn't shifting up out of first gear. It turned out to be the TPS. So that is also a definate possibility.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 AM

Yeah the TPS actually controls quite a few funtions. And if it's out by a hair then there is going to be problems. Such a small part that does so much. Fairly easy to adjust though.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:36 PM

Put a jumper(wire,I use a paper clip) in the te1 and te spaces in the diag box under the hood on the passenger side. Do thid with the key off then once it is done, turn the key to on. You dont have to start the truck. Sometimes you may have to hit the gas pedal to get it to go. Watch the number of times the o/d light flashes. there will be a one second delay between numbers. so if it flashes six times fast and then stops for a second and then flashes twice, you would have a code 62. The check engine light will flash also and is read the same way. Check any codes that gives as well cause it could even be an out of spec TPS. Can't hurt to know whats going on.

Steve
P.S. It should also be in the chilton guide but I'm not a hundred % on that as I have the haynes. Look under trouble codes?
Ok, I did this but it didn't return a code at all, even if I hit the gas. This is what i see looking from front to back:

s = space J = Jumped

s s s
s s s
s s J
s s
s s s
J s s

I guess I'll take it to the dealership and spend the $$$

Thanks for your help,
Adam
Old 03-02-2004, 03:44 PM

Yeah the TPS actually controls quite a few funtions. And if it's out by a hair then there is going to be problems. Such a small part that does so much. Fairly easy to adjust though.

Ok, I feel really stupid...what's a TPS?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

throttle position sensor?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
throttle position sensor?

Ah that must be it...Thanks, I googled it and found all kinds of strange crap..lol
Old 03-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Okay i may have gotten the wrong jumpers so i looked and going by you diagram front to back.

s s s
s j s
s s j
s s
s s s
s s s

These are the ones that should be jumped. Sorry for any inconvienience.

Steve
Old 03-03-2004, 02:58 PM

Aha!!! 62 is the error code I got! So it must be a bad solenoid...now which one? #1 or #2?

Thanks for all your help.
Adam
Old 03-03-2004, 07:10 PM

I believe that 62 is a #1 shift solenoid. these go out quite commonly I'm told by my friendly neighborhood dealer. i have a good file on the transmissions that i can send you, although it is quite large. 1690kb but I'll try to pare down the stuff that yo won't need if you like.

Steve

P.S. If it happens again you can shift the trans manually through the gears to get going again. This also helps stop damaging the trans, the engine revving and the trans suddenly catching can damage the trans quite a bit.

Last edited by Babypig; 03-03-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:07 AM

I just reread this post from the beginning and you said you had the trans rebuilt six months ago. I would march it back to whoever did the rebuild and ask for a new solenoid. These should be replace when a rebuild is done. How long a warranty did you get? and did they replace the solenoids? Cause there is four or five of them in the tranny. But I'd take it back and start looking for an answer from them.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission weirdness