Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission flush...

Old 10-21-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission flush...

I've looked around the archives for a few days and still have a few questions...

1.) I relativly understand the procedure, but where would I still find step by step instructions for the procedure?

2.) My pan seems to not have a gasket, just red putty/silicon material which was also used to mate the transfer case to the transmission. Does this mean it has not been open since factory assembled?

3.) Should I used a gasket (rubber? cork?) of find same type of putty/silicon and use that?

4.) Will the tranmission pan come out with the truck not lifted? I'm concerned about the length of the dip-stick tube.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:12 PM

toyota does not use a gasket on there trany pan, clean off old gasket goo and use silicone gasket maker , no cork. you will be able to drop trany pan with out lifting truck. :pig:
Old 10-21-2003, 12:37 PM

OK, I'll take a shot. First, no sweat doing it on the ground. Pull the ATF dip stick out, and remove the bolt that holds the tube in place. The tube is two pieces (on my Tacoma), pull the top part out the top. Remove the drain plug and drain the fluid. In my stock SR5 a 5 gal bucket fits nicely under the drain. Remove the bolts from the pan. The pan comes off fairly easy, don't pry it off, a thin putty knife and work it around the edge. Clean the inside of the pan including the little magnets. If you want, remove the screen and clean it with break cleaner. Clean the gasket material from all mating surfaces.

Now run a bead of Permatex Right Stuff around the clean and dry surface of the pan. Carefully lift the pan into place with a few bolts reachable. Place a few pan bolts in with a few turns to hold the pan in place with enough "wiggle room" to fit the rest. Install all the pan bolts and torque them properly (using torque wrench or 1/2 turn before they strip or break). Install the drain plug and replace the dip stick tube. Fill'er up!

The ATF coolant line that exits the front of the AT is the discharge to the ATF cooler. Follow that on your truck and remove the output of the radiator cooler (drivers side on my Tacoma. Place a plug (bolt in the end of the hose) and place a temporary hose on the cooler barb and into a 5 gal bucket. I made up a dip stick for my 5 gal bucket to keep track of how much pumped out versus poured in. You will NEVER keep up with the pump. Start it up and pour away, I stopped about every 4 quarts to catch up with the pump. I put 20 quarts through the system before I was convinced I got it all. Remove the plug (bolt) from the hose, replace the hose, check for leaks, check the fluid level. This link should help http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq8.htm
Old 10-28-2003, 12:36 PM

anybody have a link that shows picture detailed instructions on how the flush automatic tranny on a 01 v6 taco?
Old 01-23-2004, 11:17 PM

anybody know if the transmission on the v6 tacomas use a filter or a screen? thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 3.4v6
anybody know if the transmission on the v6 tacomas use a filter or a screen? thanks
I am quite sure they all use a mesh screen filter (just clean, don't bother to replace).