Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transmission Cooler - Which one / best price??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transmission Cooler - Which one / best price??

I finally caved and bought an Auto, and I'm curious what would be my options for tranny cooler and how much $$$$$ for one that I can install.

I'm a dedicated "Searcher" and I'm sure this has been gone over before, but seeing it is still not totally up yet just cut me some slack.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one that TRD sells for our rigs _IS_ (not "just like", it _is_) the Hayden 1678. I think the best price that's been found is still from these guys:

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva...egory_Code=HCS

$43.79 plus shipping, and when I bought it, I didn't have to buy extra hose, clamps or anything else.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:42 PM

how hard was the install on yours. i race alot at comp hill here at pismo and was thinking that this would be a good thing to have. just wondering if i could do the install here at school with just standard tools.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
The one that TRD sells for our rigs _IS_ (not "just like", it _is_) the Hayden 1678. I think the best price that's been found is still from these guys:

$43.79 plus shipping, and when I bought it, I didn't have to buy extra hose, clamps or anything else.
Thanks a lot for the info I saw the TRD one for $200 somewhere, one more question for you though.
I havn't even had a chance to look at mine yet (picking it up on Saturday), but how does the stock cooler hook up, or is there even a stock one? I'm just curious how you managed to mount it without extra hoses and stuff. Or did it come with some?
Old 02-17-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by yoda-g2
I havn't even had a chance to look at mine yet (picking it up on Saturday), but how does the stock cooler hook up, or is there even a stock one? I'm just curious how you managed to mount it without extra hoses and stuff. Or did it come with some?
There is no stock cooler. Here is a linkto Wasskily Wabbits write-up on the Hayden install. Hboss has another good write-up but his is not Hayden specific.

-Stu.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:36 PM

I'll cover both of your guy's questions in one reply...

The install is painfully easy... You can do it in under an hour with only a straight knife and a metric socket set. First time through it'll take about an hour. If I were to do it again, it'd take 15-20 minutes.

The Hayden kit that I pointed to above cames with everthing that I needed, including hose, clamps, zip ties for securing the cooler and reasonable instructions.

Some folks have bought the Hayden kit and found that you needed additional hose. I don't have an explanation for why I didn't. If you do, it's commonly available 3/8" ID tranny cooler line.

Stock wise, yes, there is. It's an inner core that's part of the main radiator. This actually makes the install easier since you'll piggy back the new cooler into the old one. The feed/return lines are already out of the tranny for you and right at the bottom of the stock radiator.

And as for if it's a good thing or not... The short form is that it's probably the best $50 you can spend on your rig. If you do any sort of off-roading at all, or on-road towing, you're asking the tranny to work harder. That generates heat, heat's bad, and this cooler will get rid of it.

This is the best writeup on the cooler - and it's written specifically for the Hayden:

http://www.drawhorn.org/hayden_trann...er_writeup.htm

And.. there's another thread with more folks babbling over here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/transmission-cooler-23836/

Have fun and Good luck!

Mark

Last edited by midiwall; 02-18-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hungryStu
There is no stock cooler.
Actually, there is; its an inner core of the radiator. The return hose from the stock cooler is where you tap the aux cooler into.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:49 PM

Actually, there is; its an inner core of the radiator. The return hose from the stock cooler is where you tap the aux cooler into.
oh. Sorry and thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Very awesome, thanks much, I love this site, saves you lots of money...... errrr I geus actually it makes you spend way more.

Hhow do you know which line is the return line? I couldn't tell which side from his pics.

I think I'll order one this week.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 PM

Is this type of cooler the "stacked plate type" or the "tube and fin type"
Gadget had mention the stacked was better, also a larger size would be better.
So is there anything that needs to be done different to install the Hayden 1679?
It measures 9 7/8 x 11 x 3/4, there probably won't be since the one you installed is 7 3/4 x 11 x 3/4
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Is this type of cooler the "stacked plate type" or the "tube and fin type"
Gadget had mention the stacked was better, also a larger size would be better.
So is there anything that needs to be done different to install the Hayden 1679?
It measures 9 7/8 x 11 x 3/4, there probably won't be since the one you installed is 7 3/4 x 11 x 3/4
The Hayden 14xx series are tube and fins, the 16xx series are stacked plates.

You can certainly run the 1679 if you're more comfortable with a bit more surface area (there's plenty of room in the "standard location"), but it tends to be seen as overkill. Tranny coolers are generally load rated based on the gross vehicle weight - the 1678 is rated for up to 24,000 lbs, the 1679 will run up to 30,000 lbs. The GVW of our trucks is about 4200 pounds.

And Yoda... Good question.

The easiest way is to feel the temperature of the lines. You'll need to wait for the rig to cool down before you do the install, so to figure out the feed/return lines, start it up, put your foot on the brake and slip it into drive. Leave sit on a fast idle for about a minute. Have a buddy feel the two lines under the rig. It'll be clear fairly soon that one is hotter than the other. The hot one is the feed, the cooler one is the return.

And no probs Stu. I didn't know it either until I installed mine just a few months ago with the help of two other forum folks.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:24 AM

I need to chime in here.

I saw someone say to use 3/8" fuel line for the install if you need more hose.

This is an absolute no no.

Although fuel line and trans cooler line look the same, they are very different!

Trans fluid will eventually deteriorate fuel line, and gas will deteriorate trans cooler line. They are definitely not interchangeable.

-John
Old 02-18-2004, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Hayden Tranny Cooler

This is one of the first mods I did and I'm glad to see it being of some use to others. Thanks for the compliments guys.

In the pic above, took while facing the rig, the return line is on the right with the metal tubing sticking out, seen with new hose running from it. If you look closely, you can see the feed line on the left side as well with the old line still attached.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the install!

Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 AM
Banned

Talking Big Head

Some folks have bought the Hayden kit and found that you needed additional hose. I don't have an explanation for why I didn't. If you do, it's just 3/8" ID fuel line.
I think you meant 3/8" ID tranny hose. I think the extra stuff has to do with placement of the cooler and the path chosen for running the lines. I don't know how anyone could get anything smaller than the 3/8" hose on those barbed fittings as 3/8" was bad enough. I still have the scar on my hand from the battle.

This is the best writeup on the cooler - and it's written specifically for the Hayden:

http://www.drawhorn.org/hayden_trann...er_writeup.htm
I feel like a proud parent! Thanks Mark!

Old 02-18-2004, 05:42 AM

I've fixed my reference to fuel line. Oops... my head wasn't where it shoulda' been.

Thanks you guys!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:08 AM

Am I the only one who has used a B&M cooler. There cheap and work great.

John
Old 02-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

What I learned about the 1678 install on a 3rd generation is that there is some info out there that suggest using the zip ties may eventually cause radiator leaks due to minor vibrations and movement causing the plastic tie to rub and cut into the cooler or radiator over time. I suggest using the mounting holes on the cooler and possibly mounting it to the existing crossbar in front of the radiator where its not lying on top of the radiator and inhibiting the air flow to both units. I mounted mine sideways on this "bracket" (its not a directional unit) using just two mounts with rubber washers to aviod metal to metal contact and potential noise and it holds steady as could be. Also some of us have chosen to use extra hose (transmission/power steering line) so that the line containing precious tranny fluid are not left precariously hanging exposed beneath the vehicle. You will soon learn the the lines at the supplied length are a straight shot to the tranny where they must be routed around the skid plate and left vulnerable to road/trail debris ect...I used 10+ feet to route the lines trough the opening to the right of the radiator and down beneath the cooling fan so that the lines are safe and go the extra mile to cover them with the plastic wire sheathing that you see pictured above. Hope this helps

Last edited by phosho; 02-18-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

I have a question about knowing if you have a cooler, does the tacoma have a cooler option, because my prerunner has an aditional smaller coil on the front of the radiator with two hoses heading out of it, I can't really tell where they go exactly so I dont know if it is a cooler or not, Also, if you dont do any real towing is the cooler still a smart idea for longevity or is it a waste.

thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Banned

Talking Trd

Originally Posted by ElwayLite
I have a question about knowing if you have a cooler, does the tacoma have a cooler option, because my prerunner has an aditional smaller coil on the front of the radiator with two hoses heading out of it, I can't really tell where they go exactly so I dont know if it is a cooler or not, Also, if you dont do any real towing is the cooler still a smart idea for longevity or is it a waste.

thanks
If your Taco is a TRD prerunner then you might have a TRD tranny cooler, but I really don't know for sure.

Here is what the TRD tranny cooler looks like via Jacksonpt's website:

A tranny cooler is insurance and helps your transmission to run more efficiently, so it is not a waste IMO.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 AM

I installed the Hayden 30k stack plate cooler. I had to mount it upside down to clear the hood latch. I strongly recommend getting some 3/8 ATF hose from you local supply house. ATF hose is made specifically for ATF. The 11/32 that ships with the Hayden is a real knuckle buster, yea, it's only 1/32 but your knuckles will thank you.

As for which side, on my Tacoma the output of the radiator cooler was the drivers side. To check yours, the steel line that exits the front of the A/T is the output, follow that through the system. To confirm, remove the hose from the cooler, place it in a bucket. Place a temporary piece of hose on the barb and place that in a second bucket. Start the truck for a second or two, that will confirm.

As mentioned earlier, be very careful of the hose routing to protect the hose from chafing.

Straight forward little project. Your A/T will thank you over the long run...cheap insurance!

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler - Which one / best price??