Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Translab - SoCal Valve Body Upgrade Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Translab - SoCal Valve Body Upgrade Shop

I just wanted to give kudos to Dean Mason at TransLab/Transimission Masters in Santa Ana. I had the valve body upgrade done a few weeks ago but have been to busy dealing with a fuel pressure problem to write this post. Here goes...

Since my truck is a daily driver, it's been difficult to find the time to drop the trans valve body to send to IPT or Level Ten. IPT I believe is willing to send you a modified valve body and will then refund the cost of the core when they receive yours. I was going to choose this route but was concerned of possible core differences between a 2WD or 4WD (my truck is 2WD). I inquired with IPT and Level Ten but couldn't get a confident answer if the valve bodies were interchangeable. I began the quest for a west coast/socal shop that can do it. After looking through a few forums, I stumbled across Dean Mason's information. After a quick internet search, I found out that he is very popular with the DSM tuners with the TransLab shift kits he sells. I gave him a call and found out that he is familiar with the upgrade and is acquainted with Pat at Level 10. We agreed on the cost, which was $450.00 including installation.

I made an appointment with Dean and drove down to Santa Ana. After a test drive in stock form and some very careful measurements with spring rates and hydraulic flow, Dean removed the tranny oil pan and proceeded to “modify” the valve body. The upgrade involved installing firmer springs, re-configuring check valve/ball flow, and drilling (new)/enlarging holes to increase hydraulic flow. I chose a moderately mild shift. We test drove the truck after and immediately noticed that the shifts are so much more crisp. On the way home I managed to chip the tires while shifting to 2nd (even with my heavy American Racing Steel Rims).

The mod took the better part of the day (including a free sushi lunch – thanks Ron @Transmission Masters) mostly because of an unexptected delay - I broke my kick-down cable a few days back and the Toyota dealer didn’t deliver the new one like they were suppose to. Dean manage to salvage a kick-down cable from a Jeep that was an exact fit. Dean kept a step by step record of the upgrade which should make subsequent modifications a lot easier and faster. Please call or e-mail him to make an appointment:

Dean Mason
TransLab/Transmission Masters
Ph 714-484-6657
email: deanmason@juno.com

Thanks,

Mike