Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Transfer Case help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case help

I appologize if this is not the appropriate place to post technical question, but I am new here.
I have a 91 Toyota 4runner V6 w/automatic trans, that has suddenly lost 2 and 4 high, but seems to run in 4 low. The transmission seems to be shifting okay. I did check the trany fluid and was okay. Can anyone suggest any solutions? Please be technical.... I can handle it.

Thanks-
Amy
Old 10-07-2003, 04:51 PM

More info...

A real stumper apparently .... guys!

I checked the transfer case fluid and it's full, clean and cherry red. The shift linkage appears to be working and tight.

Yesterday (before its complete demise), it appeared to slip??... then engage, like transmission problems instead. This morning, it wouldn't even move. It seems to want to move (in high range) but sounds as though it's slipping. Low range seems fine. Help!...Help! What parts are broken? Amy
Old 10-07-2003, 06:11 PM

it sounds like the chain in your transfer case is stretched and skipping in the sprockets. my one friend has that problem but his was messed up in low range only. it happens alot on jeep cherokees and wranglers to. you will have to take in to the shop and have a new chain installed there is no adjustment. there mite be alot of other parts messed up if it's that bad. the 4 cylinder transfer cases are gear driven just like a manual transmission. they are alot stronger. it was dumb that toyota changed and put the wimpy case in v6 models. i think they did it because the 4 cyl. ones will bind because of being gear drive and it is real hard to get into 2wd sometimes. i guess to many people complained about it.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 PM

chain?

Appreciate the suggestion... toyota parts dude. If it's excessive chain stretch, why is effecting only high range? Just wish I had a picture to better under the TC's innards. Amy
Old 10-08-2003, 07:18 AM

Bummer?....

This is disheartening. As a widowed mom, I was hoping to connect with a knowledgeable mechanic. With over 50 hits, and only one response, I obviously I need to look elsewhere.

Bye guys.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Let me get this straight, you said:

V6 w/automatic trans, that has suddenly lost 2 and 4 high, but seems to run in 4 low.
If that's the case, you can't go anywhere except in 4Lo, right?? Pretty much makes your 4Runner unless as far as daily driving. If it will ONLY move in 4Lo, but NOT AT ALL while in 2/4Hi, and the transmission shifts normally thru 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears ONLY IN 4Lo, then I'd definitely have the transfer case looked at. The T-case may have lost the Hi gear for some reason, or is simply not fully engaging properly.

The transfer case is always active, as it has to be in Hi or Lo get to allow the truck to move at all. Without Hi, the only thing left is Lo. Can you rule out the 4x4 system?? In other words, is there anyway to leave the truck in 2WD, but put the T-case in low to see what happens?? (Sorry, I'm fully versed on '91s)

Parts Dude's on the right track too, but it definitely sounds like your transfer case....
Old 10-08-2003, 08:21 AM

we have an 89 toyota 4wd 2.4 L with an auto tranny. the other day i was driving it and when i put it in gear it acted like it was in neutral, so i went to park and then back to drive and it went. about 5 minutes later when i went to move it again it would slip no matter what i did. it goes when you put it in 4LO but in any other gear it just slips and barely moves if any at all, this kinda sounds like the same problem you are having with yours,
Amys91toy
we don't think it is the tranny because the fluid is clean and not burnt and does'nt smell but maybe that doesn't mean the tranny is safe. we are thinking maybe it is more in the transfer case but we are not forsure on anything. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-08-2003, 08:24 AM

service manual

also does anyone know what the best service manual is for an 89 auto transmission pickup that would maybe have some break-down of the transmission thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 06:09 PM

transfer case

amys91toy why it only works in low is that when you shift the transfer case into low the chain is moved to a different size gears to make you drive slower. there probably alot more tension on it when it is in low then it won't skip. since it works in low range i definitly think the tranny is okay.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 AM

My money says shifter fork(s)

Referring to the exploded diagram on page TF-41 of the '91 factory shop manual, I see one note-worthy area. Check the two shifter forks (especially the "high and low" fork) for side wear, and the mating "high and low" slider gear grove for same. It's rare, but does happen, especially if the fluid level has been low for extended periods of time.

(Parts dude) Obviously you've never seen the inside of a "Planetary gear type transfer case". A worn chain will effect BOTH high and low. And if the chain is bad (because of increased torque) low range would undoubtly be affected more-so than high.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:55 PM

fixed

we just got our toyota back from the dealership friday, and it was a valve that was stuck shut or something in the transfer case. it ended up costing about $130 in parts and $1100 in Labor. They said the reason there was so much labor was that they could not figure out the problem at first. so they cleaned up the valve and say it is good to go, i don't know if this helps but i thought i would post our remedy Later