Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

Transfer case 4wd Actuator probs: multimode

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case 4wd Actuator probs: multimode

Hey Folks,

Got a MASSIVE problem! Been t/shooting my 4wd multimode system (Goes into Locked centre diff when I hit the 4wd switch for UNlocked centre diff 4wd - flashing lights)

Anyways - I opened the actuator on the transfer case to check the terminals, and thats when the ROTOR/SOLONOID/MECHANISM/THING popped out.

I figured out how to get it back into the actuator assembly (by undoing the actuator assembly & sliding it out on the shaft a bit first).

BUT, the rotation of this thing seems critical. Anyone done this successfully before????

Please help.

ASh.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ash-ssrg
Hey Folks,

Got a MASSIVE problem! Been t/shooting my 4wd multimode system (Goes into Locked centre diff when I hit the 4wd switch for UNlocked centre diff 4wd - flashing lights)

Anyways - I opened the actuator on the transfer case to check the terminals, and thats when the ROTOR/SOLONOID/MECHANISM/THING popped out.

I figured out how to get it back into the actuator assembly (by undoing the actuator assembly & sliding it out on the shaft a bit first).

BUT, the rotation of this thing seems critical. Anyone done this successfully before????

Please help.

ASh.
Some pics of the lil' b@stard
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case 4wd Actuator probs: multimode-actuator2.jpg   Transfer case 4wd Actuator probs: multimode-actuator1.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ash, is this the actuator motor that you have in your hand or is it the internal parts of the actuator? I am planning on taking my actuator motor off and wondering if there will be a problem with this?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by kennyyoung
Ash, is this the actuator motor that you have in your hand or is it the internal parts of the actuator? I am planning on taking my actuator motor off and wondering if there will be a problem with this?
Sorry for the late reply - I don't know if tacomas have the exact same 4wd actuator as 4runners, but what you see in my pics is the contents of the actuator. This solenoid is a complicated bit of kit (a Chinese puzzle) that could easily pop out when you undo the 3 bolts because it is spring-loaded.
The trouble is knowing what angle it needs to go back in at (getting it back in at all is a mission on its own).
Also, the solenoid seems to have 'in' and 'out' position and I dont know what the default position is.
To make it worse, there are no tech/Toyota guidelines on refitting this. Its 'replacement only' of the whole actuator assembly involving opening the transfer case.

I recommend NOT opening it and check all your diff switches first (if not done yet).

Otherwise, getting another transfer case at the breakers/scrapyard could save you heaps of aggravation.

Another option is to check your actuator motor (insde a black cap on the actuator with 3 screws).
But I have no info on this other than it turns a screw inside the actuator that turns the solenoid. This MAY be your problem.

Check all electricals first

Good luck - keep me/us posted
Old 11-07-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks ash, for your reply....just in time too! I was just about to go outside and pull the thing apart. I was checking here for any last suggestions and lucky you posted just in time to give me the heads up!!!! Did you ever get your back together and working? Well, I couldnt get the actuator motor off because 1 of the 3 screws wouldnt come out....... I got 2 out with vise grips but cant get at the last one!!! I'm thinking about taking a chisel to it and hoping the remaining 2 will be enough to hold it in place. I figure if I can get at the stator inside the cap, I might be able to free the internals up by turnig it. I really dont want to open the main actuator body if I dont have to. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if they are the same on the Tacoma as the 4Runner?

Last edited by kennyyoung; 11-07-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Fellas,

sorry - for late reply. A lots been going on since I posted about this problem a couple of years ago -life happens...

We moved from the UK back to Cape Town end of 2009 - shipped our cars down as well - still going strong.

I never did get the actuator to work, despite many hours of free time spent - fortunately/unfortunately, in 2010 my radiator/oil cooler got damaged and allowed coolant into the transmission and transmission oil into the radiator.

Needles to say, the box didnt last long after that...

They never did the 4runner/surf models in South Africa, so it was a miracle that I found a secondhand transmission/t-case on my (cape Town) doorstep - at an engine importer who had a kz-te motor with the transmission/t-case still attached. They would have sold the transmission/t-case for scrap as no-one here would have wanted it - except me!

practically got the transmission/t-case for free, popped it in and have had a perfectly working 4wd system ever since.

Cutting to the chase - a forced transmission/t-case replacement solved my 4wd system nightmares.