Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tranny/transfercase ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny/transfercase ?'s

So I'm looking into Supra swaps now and have found several engines for way cheaper than a 5VZE. So I know that the motor mounts are different, I'd need a body lift to clear the intake, electric fans to clear the radiator. But my question is with the tranny and transfer case. I've got a V6 and obviously the 7m-gte won't bolt up to my tranny. I know that they do bolt up to the 4cyl trannys though. So can I just swap in a 4cyl tranny with the 7m-gte? Or is there an adapter so I can use the tranny out of the supra? At less than a thousand, I'd have money for adapters or a tranny swap.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by OneTrickToy
So I'm looking into Supra swaps now and have found several engines for way cheaper than a 5VZE. So I know that the motor mounts are different, I'd need a body lift to clear the intake, electric fans to clear the radiator. But my question is with the tranny and transfer case. I've got a V6 and obviously the 7m-gte won't bolt up to my tranny. I know that they do bolt up to the 4cyl trannys though. So can I just swap in a 4cyl tranny with the 7m-gte? Or is there an adapter so I can use the tranny out of the supra? At less than a thousand, I'd have money for adapters or a tranny swap.

Thanks!
You can probably use the 7M bell housing and bolt it to your existing A340.

I'm assuming that you are automatic.

-John
Old 12-12-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't think the manual/auto trannies are cross compatible. even then, i think the supra used a different transmission. he's got a 5 speed anyhow.

might want to check marlin's board, there's rumor that it maybe possible to bolt up the R150F to the supra R154 bellhousing using a jeep AX15 input shaft.

for all purposes, you can swap in a W56 tranny with a supra W58 bellhousing. i think the 5MGE and 7MGE came with this tranny, the 7MGTE came with the R series oddball(longer input shaft than a typical R series i think). however all the bellhousings should be interchangeable between supras

you could also use the supra transmission, and buy OTT's divorced t-case adapter. it would add length to your drivetrain, so you'd have to get your driveshafts reworked though
Old 12-12-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i don't think the manual/auto trannies are cross compatible. even then, i think the supra used a different transmission. he's got a 5 speed anyhow.

might want to check marlin's board, there's rumor that it maybe possible to bolt up the R150F to the supra R154 bellhousing using a jeep AX15 input shaft.

for all purposes, you can swap in a W56 tranny with a supra W58 bellhousing. i think the 5MGE and 7MGE came with this tranny, the 7MGTE came with the R series oddball(longer input shaft than a typical R series i think). however all the bellhousings should be interchangeable between supras

you could also use the supra transmission, and buy OTT's divorced t-case adapter. it would add length to your drivetrain, so you'd have to get your driveshafts reworked though
If it's a 5 speed, I can't provide interchange details

-John
Old 12-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
[[ If it's a 5 speed, I can't provide interchange details ]]

Why not? Do you dislike 5 speeds?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r

Okay, so I'm not completely adept in these kind of swaps. My questions may sound like something I should know if I'm going to take on the swap, but I have friends with fabrication skills who are going to help. So bear with my questions.

Which would be the smartest way to go?

If I use the divorced t-case adapter, am I going to be changing the t-case location right? So I'll be moving the shifters 16mm back, and the mounting brackets too. What about the trans. shifter? Is that going to be in the same position?

I want it to be reliable and a straightforward install. Sounds like the t-case adapter is the easiest. Am I right?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:24 PM

i think the easiest is just putting in a W transmission. with the divorce adapter, you have to have a crossmember for the tranny as well as the t-case, since the t-case is just attached with a u-joint, not rigidly mounted to the transmission. you may even be able to use the stock crossmember as your V6 transmission, in the same spot(i think)

with the W series, i *think* your shifters will be close, if not exactly in the same spot as the R150F 5 speed. the W transmissions have held up so far quite well as long as you're not putting down 400hp, supra engines aren't exactly torque monsters and won't wreck a tranny as fast as something like a 4.3 chevy V6. they do have a pretty nice flat torque curve, which makes them desirable though
Old 12-12-2004, 07:43 PM

also, why not look into a 5MGE or just a 7MGE? both will have more power than your V6...i think they'd be a little less work to wedge in there than a 7MGTE. just my .02 though
Old 12-12-2004, 09:59 PM

I'm looking at the 7m-gte's for the extra hp. I was initially looking at 5vze engines until I saw how much cheaper the supra engines were, and I figure a turbo motor is still way cheaper than what I was expecting to spend before. I used to have an NA 300ZX, and it was impossible to squeeze extra horses out. I'd hate to get the NA 7m-ge and find I want more hp. With a turbo engine, hp isn't hard at all. Add an intercooler, more fuel, and up the boost. I figure as long as I stay under $3,000 I will be completely happy.