Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tranny Problem or Worn Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Problem or Worn Clutch

Hey All.

I have a '98 4Runner SR5 with 244k miles. I bought it about 40k miles ago and it looked like it was in phenomenal condition, which has proven true so far. I've had been noticing some things with the tranny that concern me.

First, when I try to start the vehicle, I have to press the peddle into the floor somewhat hard. I know it has the clutch start safety, but would the amount of wear on a clutch affect when this is activated or does it just have an adjustment behind the peddle?

Second, and more importantly, when I am sitting in Neutral without the clutch depressed, I get a rattling noise from the tranny. When I put engage the clutch and put it in gear, the rattling goes away. It isn't a constant rattling, but sounds every four to six seconds. My last manual didn't do that, so is it normal or a good sign that something is wrong?

Lastly, when I am shifting I seem to hit a stopping point when I barely push it into any gear. It seems the worst in first or second gear, but then it kind of pops in. The truck doesn't lurch or anything, but it's usually like a two-stage process. Is that another sign my clutch needs replaced or might it be something else like shifter bushings that everyone talks about?

It's never smelled like any part of the truck was burning, specifically the clutch and I've never had the engine rev higher than I thought it should when I was taking off from a stop. I know those are two common references for replacing a clutch.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Demosthine
Hey All.

Second, and more importantly, when I am sitting in Neutral without the clutch depressed, I get a rattling noise from the tranny. When I put engage the clutch and put it in gear, the rattling goes away. It isn't a constant rattling, but sounds every four to six seconds. My last manual didn't do that, so is it normal or a good sign that something is wrong?
This symptom reminds me of a bad throwouit bearing. Rattling noise in neutral with clutch out.

Richard
Old 05-20-2006, 07:38 PM

Yep,that is a common symton of a throw-out bearing and your hard shifts could be worn out synchros, if its still original could be time for a clutch disc,throw out bearing and check those synchros. In time it will only get worse.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:42 AM

My 1988 Toyota P/U has always been grumpy with the 1st two gears like that. I was told the tranny was bad (by a so called expert), 50,000 miles later had it rebuilt and it still acted like that. I'm not to worried about it any more, I think of it as truck personality.

Two way I work with the tranny instead of agaist it: Learn the speed when it's easier to shift (shifting sweet spot).

Also, when starting up in 1st gear, move it into 2nd gear first, keeping your foot in on the clutch the whole time, then into 1st gear (this can be done real quick), the pressure should be gone at that point for getting it into 1st gear. I guess this helps the sycros into place. Sounds convoluted but it works for me and is like second nature now. Until the tranny starts howling like cat I don't want to mess with it & my method gets me by just fine.

Good luck,
-David