Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tranny issues??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny issues??

Helo all,
I was wondering what is the proper setting for towing on a super hot day? I went for a ride the other day and was in stop n go traffic. While going up a short incline my transmission was making a clicking noise while under load(drive) Never did it in Neutral. was this possibly a case of my runner telling me it's too hot for this kinda ? or do i have the start of a problem. the hump and the change compartment was pretty dam hot... I know it's under a lot of stress. I was towing in Drive most of the time and using the OD OFF when leaving after a dead stop. Should i have driven in OD OFF while underway? btw the clicking or knocking was after being at the GAS station for 20 5 minutes after i filled up i had to climb up the ramp to the interstate.
thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 PM

I forgot to mention that i was towing my 900LBS+ jetski... it's only the most important addition to the story...
Gig
Old 07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OD off always when towing imho.

You also should invest in a trans cooler.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

CJM,
Thanks for the reply. I had a cooler installed about 5 years in to this truck- when i got my pop up trailer.. I always like to err on the side of caution. I had the dealer install it for me. It has been like a piece of mind. few times yesterday i was wondering what it might be like with out the cooler.
I think i will have the Dealer do a complete service on the Transmission and maybe mention to him that i had this problem... My Pop up weighs 1200 never had an issue .. but then again where i camp it's pretty much no traffic and 60 MI rt.
yesterday was at least 200 MI of up and down, lane changes and traffic..
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM

those dexIII trannies need to be flushed quite frequently like every 15-20k miles when used for towing or offroading... or you can do what most do and do a drain and fill on the tranny every other oil change with basic dino dexIII and longer if its a synthetic
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 PM

mkgarrison5,
Thanks for the reply.. I'll be honest with you... I have only started towing heavy items as of late. I have a small bass boat(450lbs incl trlr) that i have been towing and a pop up(1klbs) and thats 's only local.. the big deal is my Jet ski (900lbs+trlr)and long trips.
I took the truck off of the lot -brand new style back in 97. I have had the tranny service done but as for a total flush it's never been done. I have heard some say that it's not a good idea to flush a transmission.. something about it's never the same after that.. i mean the way it came from the factory.. can you clarify? I mean if it's not good i wont have it done.. but if it is good then I'm off to the dealer.. It should be common sense though to me.. just because of the fact that I am towing a heavier item. I had an issue with the tongue weight before but i think i got it all sorted out.. It just seems that it's being labored I know if i had a V8 sequoia i would not have this problem..
My problem would be at the Gas pump.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend a trans flush. Most of the people that have problems after a flush had problems before a flush and were hoping that doing the maintenance they should have been doing all along would buy some time. In these "too little, too late" cases, it seems the fresh fluid can break up deposits and move them to places that cause issues, like the valve body. The alternative is to not change the fluid and watch the trans die anyway.

If you do get a flush done, make sure it's the right fluid, J-team and some other chains use an "all-in-one" fluid that is supposed to be good for everything (but isn't).
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by corax
I would recommend a trans flush. Most of the people that have problems after a flush had problems before a flush and were hoping that doing the maintenance they should have been doing all along would buy some time. In these "too little, too late" cases, it seems the fresh fluid can break up deposits and move them to places that cause issues, like the valve body. The alternative is to not change the fluid and watch the trans die anyway.

If you do get a flush done, make sure it's the right fluid, J-team and some other chains use an "all-in-one" fluid that is supposed to be good for everything (but isn't).

right, buy you own DEXIII fluid! and take that to a mechanic to have flushed. tell him you want to watch. i recommend valvoline maxlife dexIII or synthetics like amsoil, M1 or redline.. thats it...

it sounds like to me you have burned fluid. drive your truck around for a bit then park it (leaving it running) on a level spot and go check your dipstick. the atf should be bright red. if its dark red or brown its gone.. time to change... in the future its ideal to stay on top of this.. like i said before i dont flush i just drain and fill every 3rd oil change. if you tow and use a dino dexIII then do it every other fill. it takes about 4-5qts per drain and fill.. cheap insurance imo
Old 07-23-2008, 05:31 PM

All,
Thanks a lot for all of the replies. I have another confession... Most of the people on the Boards are Do it yourselfers-i am with some things... but when it comes to my truck I want someone to blame it on when something goes wrong.I hope i dont get beat up too much on this.. but i always go to the dealer- there i said it. If i go there i'm sure that they will do the entire flush the way it's supposed to be done and also using the right Fluid. I will perform the Fluid test and see what color it is and report back to you guys later on tonight.
thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
by Toyota corporate policy, they should have to use Genuine Toyota fluid. If it's a good shop and you trust them, going to the dealer isn't a bad idea anyway. I've found most of the time the prices are competitive, and there is an advantage to having all your service records at one place (in their system) - you can always ask for the full history on your vehicle to prove maintenance if you ever plan to sell or trade it in.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Smile

OK.. I'm back... Went out for a 2 mi drive Found a Gas station and checked my Trans fluid.. In short the Color of the Fluid was in fact Red.. Not a bright vibrant red but red. eh maybe on the way to becoming burnt. I don't know how long it would take the fluid to be burnt, but this truck does not get a lot of use..
I'll have the flush done and this way we will all know what we are working with.
Thanks for all of the help in this matter. If there are any do's and don'ts(besides going to the dealer) let me know..
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Smile

Corax,
Thanks for the reply... that is one of the reasons i go to a dealer in the first place. I mean the time of the backyard mechanic are long gone my 97 is probably the last the year thats anyone can do anything to a car in the back yard. Most of the Shops are pretty competitive with the dealerships- i think they both know that too.So why not go to a dealership? I'd rather argue with a dealership than with the local garage anyhow... and besides it is a Toyota... I've had better luck with my ol Toyo than my new 08 Chevy frailblazer(company owned). I would not own a Chevy. I do have to admit that i do get Jealous when i can't cruise down the interstate at 75mph towing my trailer, ski, etc.. that's where the supercharger comes in or the V8 sequoia.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:21 PM

All,
thanks for the replies..
I have already scheduled to have the entire Tranny flushed and filled with new fluid on Tuesday.
I called the dealership and made the APPT. I trust my dealer and it's not any more expensive than the local guy... Like you guys said it's cheap insurance... i'll tow with "OD OFF" FOR NOW ON... supercharger might be an idea too.. but further down the road..

Thanks again