Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tranny Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Cooler Install

Well so much for an easy bolt on application!

Got the TRD and installed it...definately was not designed to go into a vehicle with a winch!!

Now I need to move it somewhere else as it is in the way of the clutch...damnit!! Anyhow, it will be fine for now until I need to use the winch...

Anyone know what the pressure in the hose is? I tightened the heck out of them and they still leaked...ggrrr!! They seem to be alright now...

Mike
Old 05-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmm...my hayden cooler doesn't leak at all. The hose fits on pretty tight and probably wouldn't leak even if I didn't have a clamp on. Maybe you can put on two clamps at each fitting.

I bolted my tranny cooler above the front skid plate on my 2nd gen. You can see my writeup here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=9518

I drilled some 2in holes in my stock skid plate for more air flow.

Steve
Old 05-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Hi there, it was actually leaking from the 90 degree fitting coming off the the cooler...Hhhmmm I wonder where I could mount it so that it is out of the way of the winch
Old 05-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Could I bother you guys again...does anyone with a winch have a tranny cooler installed? If so, could you send me some pics of your location...Sorry for being a pest!!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Contributing Member

Did you get the leak fixed? Mine was leaking when I first installed it, but I just didn't tighten down the bolts on the 90 degree fitting enough.

Where do you have it installed at now?

Sorry I don't have pics, and my wife has the 4Runner in central Utah until tomorrow. I can snap some pics when she gets back...
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Mike,

I've got a "custom" TRD cooler mounting solution too that will solve your problem if you haven't already got one.

Its a little hard to describe but involved bending the stock mouting brackets and making an additional piece from some 1/8 by 1" aluminum. My cooler ends up being on the left side of the radiatior (viewed from the front) and is higher than the TRD method. My hose connections are on the top. I routed them through the hole that the air conditioning pipes go through with lots of plastic tubing in strategic places to protect the hosees. I ended up buying some more hose too.
I did not like the way TRD said to mount it since it seemed to be too low and vulnerable to suit my tastes. This was before getting a TJM bumper and winch, so it sounds like I may have just lucked out. I never took any pics when I put it in, and just tried to take a couple, but don't know if they will make much sense since its real hard to find a way to see much in there. I need to reload the software to get the pics on my computer along with some others I just took. I never got around to setting up a web site to put them on, but can e-mail them to you if they are even remotely usable. This definitely isn't a paint-by-numbers thing, but should give you an idea of what I did.

I didn't have any leaks at the hose fittings themselves. They seemed to be darned near impossible to get on those barbs so I couldn't imagine them leaking. I did have a slight leak at the connection between the cooler and the right-angle fitting that was remedied by loosening it up again, making sure it wasn't crooked or anything and then tightening it down good and snug again.

Alan