Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trac off/ Vsc Trac lights came on, need help!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trac off/ Vsc Trac lights came on, need help!

I was on a short road trip the other day, truck was running fine and I pulled up to the gas station for a few things. Turned the truck off, came back and cranked it up and the check engine, Trac off, and Vsc trac lights all came on. Truck still runs fine, nothing is different except the lights, any thoughts or ideas before I take it to the shop? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It means the computer has a trouble code. Get the codes read and you will know what the problem is. If you have an Autozone nearby I heard they'll do it for free. Or if you're near my house I'll do it for a

Otherwise you can buy a code reader, or take it to a shop and pay $75 or so.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 AM

As soon as you get it fixed and clear the code, those VSC & TRAC lights will come off.

First thing you do: CHECK YOUR GAS CAP!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

Disconnect the battery for a bit, then connect again. See if that works before you take it to the shop or buy a scanner.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by okie81
Disconnect the battery for a bit, then connect again. See if that works before you take it to the shop or buy a scanner.
That won't fix the problem! Get the code read, post the code and THEN feel free to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes. If you have an EVAP problem like I did, it might take 800 miles to come back on before you know what the code is!
Just disconnecting the battery before you know your code won't help you one bit. Checking your gas cap to see if it is loose is a common issue with any OBD2 car when it is running great.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I had my 2nd-hand 4Runner Limited (97k) at the dealership for routine maintenance on 24-25 Aug., and today the same VSC off / VSC Trac / Check Engine sequence noted above appeared when my mother was driving it.

I called the dealer, and they said check the gas cap. As long as it drives OK, it is probably an erroneous evap fault, and that it will clear soon. I'm skeptical of that since when my Jetta faults, the check engine stays on until the code is cleared. (A host of Jetta owners drive with a check-engine light on.

The problem is, I have moved to NJ and just got the car plated on 28 Aug, which means I have until 11 Sep to get in inspected, and NJ stupidly fails a car with a check engine light on (stupidly, because many cars spit out check engine lights for trivial reason; see my Jetta comment above).

So, should I wait until Tues to see if the check engine light leaves, or should I take the truck in to get the code read and cleared?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 PM

Like they said above, go to an Autozone, Checkers or a parts store with a scanner. You can get it done for free. Hopefully, it's just your cap. Half of the time, it's your O2 sensor(s).
Old 09-05-2009, 05:12 AM

Guys, I've been having the same occurrence. Check engine light + VSC

My truck is a 2004 4runner, about 69k miles on it...
I went to the dealership, and paid for the diagnostic check. I've attached a copy of their report. The truck pulled error code: P1056.

When I spoke with shop tech, I was advised to replace the Bank 2 Sensor 2. So I did, check the attached pic. I ordered the part from Partznet.com (conicelli) and I also swapped out the stock battery, since I was also advised that the original had 20% full load capacity. I tossed in a Die-Hard North.

And guess what, the check engine disappeared but I still have the VSC problem.

But here is what I've noticed. When I start the car up, and have it in park, there is no VSC light on. However, as soon as I toss it into reverse, to pull out of the driveway, within 3 seconds, the VSC lights pop on, and stay on.

I don't know what to do at this point. I was reading in TSB BR005-03 that the YAW sensor can easily be reset. Keep in mind that bulletin was for '03 4runners, of a particular VIN batch, with a YAW rate disfunction reading. Any ideas? I've done the autozone gig before, and it good for reading the error code, but how do you go about resetting it? At this point, maybe that is what it need?

Last edited by drfeelgood824; 09-05-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:15 PM

You need what is called the "Zero Point Recalibration". Only the dealer can do it. Just pay the money and get it fixed so those lights stay off.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing, TSB BR005-03 is all about that.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 AM

Thumbs up Wrong- Not a 'dealer only' fix. 2 paper clips and about 2 minutes!

Originally Posted by stir_fry_boy
You need what is called the "Zero Point Recalibration". Only the dealer can do it. Just pay the money and get it fixed so those lights stay off.
Wrong! If you look at the TSB quoted in the previous post, you will see the last few pages have the 'manual' method of initiating Test Mode to recalibrate.

I used two paper clips, stretched out and one inserted into each of the appropriate pins on the DLC3 (OBDII) connector.

I made sure they didn't touch, then simply squeezed them together a couple times to shunt (the word "short" usually implies a defective connection so I don't use it here) the pins and then follow the rest of the steps in the TSB.

Simple!

FYI. The TSB says, "with the engine off" This means with the key in the Run position, but not running. When the TSB says turn the ignition off, that means turn the key all the way to the off position.

AFYI:

TSC TRAC + TSC OFF + CEL = O2 sensor says bad cat. Either O2 sensor or Cat (read about this product: http://www.empirepao.com/sims.php )

TSC TRAC + TSC OFF (especially if they are off and come on as soon as you move the vehicle) = Zero Point Calibration (use the TSB instructions)